Hi,

Just switched to BlackBerry for the first time, and I am trying to figure some things out. Most of it I get. However I just don't get what the application center is for. It doesn't even show apps that I have installed, just things like BBM which it says is not installed, but it is!? It also has things like AIM and Flickr, things that are not yet to be installed, but have like an intall icon. It's wierd and I don't see the point. I read somewhere that people have deleted it, but I don't know how you could do that?

Also does anyone know how to delete apps that are there like the aim install icon but they don't have a delete option or appear in the application tab in options to delete? There are just all these garbage icons like NFL Mobile, and skype and all this crap I don't need or know how to delete.

Also, while I am here, I have the Curve 9330 and in the top there is a play/mute button that if you hold down locks the keyboard, the thing is since I have password lock enabled, after a certain amount of time it automatically password locks, I like this, I am just wondering if anyone knows how to adjust the time it takes to lock automatically and if there is anyway to adjust it.

thanks
    john
    12-29-10 04:12 PM
    The only ways to get rid of the Application Center is to delete the cod file via BBSAK or do a install using something like shrink-a-os software to delete the cod right from the start. Since you are new to the BB I wouldn't recommend fooling around with system files.

Not sure about the second question as I don't use a password on mine.
    12-29-10 04:20 PM
    I believe if you change your OS, it gives you the option if you want it or not, by clicking the box.

As far as unwanted apps pushed to your device from your carrier...most of those you won't be able to get rid of. Just create a "junk folder" and put all unwanted apps in there and forget about them.

There is a way IIRC to change time limit on password lock, just not coming to me right now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-10 04:24 PM
    Hi,
    Just switched to BlackBerry for the first time, and I am trying to figure some things out. Most of it I get. However I just don't get what the application center is for.
    As mentioned above you can dig through the .cod files and delete it directly, which is good practice for understanding how BBOS works. It's not to deep and really easy to do.

Or you can just use BBSAK and save the time...

either way it's up to you...

But the Blackberry Application Center IIRC is for for the service provider to push applications to your device. If they should update applications or push bloatware to your phone.
    12-29-10 04:25 PM
    Password: Isn't it Options>Security>Password/ Lock After: [1,2,5..min.]

Application Center: I've alwayas wanted to know why some folks have an Icon for that, and I do not. I have upgraded my OS several times. The cod is installed in my phone. But I never get the icon.
    Last edited by mkye86; 12-29-10 at 04:51 PM.
    12-29-10 04:35 PM
    Hi,

Just switched to BlackBerry for the first time, and I am trying to figure some things out. Most of it I get. However I just don't get what the application center is for. It doesn't even show apps that I have installed, just things like BBM which it says is not installed, but it is!? It also has things like AIM and Flickr, things that are not yet to be installed, but have like an intall icon. It's wierd and I don't see the point. I read somewhere that people have deleted it, but I don't know how you could do that?

Also does anyone know how to delete apps that are there like the aim install icon but they don't have a delete option or appear in the application tab in options to delete? There are just all these garbage icons like NFL Mobile, and skype and all this crap I don't need or know how to delete.

Also, while I am here, I have the Curve 9330 and in the top there is a play/mute button that if you hold down locks the keyboard, the thing is since I have password lock enabled, after a certain amount of time it automatically password locks, I like this, I am just wondering if anyone knows how to adjust the time it takes to lock automatically and if there is anyway to adjust it.

thanks
    john

I posted basically the same question a few weeks ago (what's the diff btw App Center folder and the Apps folder) but never got any real clear answers. Still not exactly sure how the app center folder works.

As for deleting all the icons you don't want, just hit the menu key and Hide them.

12-29-10 09:40 PM
    Hi,

Also, while I am here, I have the Curve 9330 and in the top there is a play/mute button that if you hold down locks the keyboard, the thing is since I have password lock enabled, after a certain amount of time it automatically password locks, I like this, I am just wondering if anyone knows how to adjust the time it takes to lock automatically and if there is anyway to adjust it. thanks
    john
    I Think your talking about the security timeout in Options - Password.

12-29-10 09:52 PM
    Hide the applications center. On OS 6, it doesn't work. Seems to be phased out. I hid mine ages ago.

12-29-10 10:09 PM
    I did'nt use any fancy cod delete crap. Just options delete

12-30-10 07:05 AM
    The only ways to get rid of the Application Center is to delete the cod file via BBSAK or do a install using something like shrink-a-os software to delete the cod right from the start. Since you are new to the BB I wouldn't recommend fooling around with system files.

Not sure about the second question as I don't use a password on mine.
    Application Center is not a required app, you can choose to install it or not. BBSAK is not required to remove it, just delete it from the apps list in Options.
    12-30-10 07:14 AM
    Password: Isn't it Options>Security>Password/ Lock After: [1,2,5..min.]

Application Center: I've alwayas wanted to know why some folks have an Icon for that, and I do not. I have upgraded my OS several times. The cod is installed in my phone. But I never get the icon.
    Mine didn't come with it... I installed it OTA via BB's website I believe. Do a google search.

12-30-10 07:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD