I think Apple doing things differently, just to be different is what caused me to dislike their computers. It was as if it was opposite day at Apple, everything flipped, just so they could say, we are different.
    And Blackberry did things their way even when people were asking for change. Look where it got them.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    10-25-16 03:26 PM
    In my opinion it boils down to marketing. I tip my hat as no one does it better. Their devices do not and have not really done things better per se but their marketing campaigns would make one think otherwise. This being said I believe their pixie dust and magic is fading.
    10-25-16 06:25 PM
    And to that end, one needs to look at who Apple's ad agency (actually, several) is. There's an agency called Huge that created a subsidiary whose only client is Apple, and Apple's also had arrangements with Media Arts Labs and others. There's no doubt that, along with very elegant design, the advertising continues to provide everything from entertainment to eye candy to thrills. At the risk of being derivative, every other marketer should look at what Apple does.

Posted via CB10, on a BlackBerry Passport
    Last edited by CBCListener; 10-25-16 at 09:22 PM.
    johnsliderbb likes this.
    10-25-16 06:57 PM
    And Blackberry did things their way even when people were asking for change. Look where it got them.
    BlackBerry doing the same thing they always did, isn't the same as Apple doing things backwards, just to be different.
    10-25-16 08:48 PM
    BlackBerry doing the same thing they always did, isn't the same as Apple doing things backwards, just to be different.
    Correct. One worked, one did not.
    10-25-16 08:50 PM
    Correct. One worked, one did not.
    I guess comparing the way Apple does computers to the way BlackBerry does phones, isn't a fair comparison. But sense we are, there is a reason why Apple computers aren't doing so great and never really have. Where as BlackBerry was on top for awhile before they fell from grace. Give the iphone some time, something better well be right around the corner, there always is.
    10-25-16 08:59 PM
    Yesterday's technology?

Sometimes raw specs ain't enough to cross over to day to day use. The Note series is always a power house on raw specs alone, here it is being made to look silly by a year old phone who's specs must've been behind the time when they came out.
    Video is a bit misleading, isn't it? This shows the Note 7 is faster in opening/running everyday apps. Games on the other hand open faster on the iphone, but that could be due to lower resolution on the iphone.

Then you have the Pixel.

Last edited by DJ BigToe; 10-25-16 at 09:20 PM.
    10-25-16 09:05 PM
    I guess comparing the way Apple does computers to the way BlackBerry does phones, isn't a fair comparison. But sense we are, there is a reason why Apple computers aren't doing so great and never really have. Where as BlackBerry was on top for awhile before they fell from grace. Give the iphone some time, something better well be right around the corner, there always is.
    You bring up a good point. Apple is diversified and that is one of the reasons they're successful. Phones, tablets, computers, watches, accessories.
    10-25-16 09:08 PM
    Watches are not selling (any brand) down 54 percent. Tablets are down as are iPhones. Services however are up. Year over year revenues are down for the first time since 2001. That being said they still sold a ton of iPhones. I suspect the pricing pressures that are real will continue to erode iPhone revenues.

Via the Cobalt Classic
    10-25-16 09:15 PM
    Well they basically started from the ipod to entertain us when we were kids, so they brainwashed us . That's were Blackberry should have went instead of starting with the older crowd, cause they are a dying breed.
    10-25-16 10:07 PM
    Watches are not selling (any brand) down 54 percent. Tablets are down as are iPhones. Services however are up. Year over year revenues are down for the first time since 2001. That being said they still sold a ton of iPhones. I suspect the pricing pressures that are real will continue to erode iPhone revenues.

Via the Cobalt Classic
    They underestimated the demande for the larger iPhone, which has much higher profit margins. Probably the Note 7 effect... And yeah, they sold tons of iPhone considering the fact that this years iphone is basically the same that came out two years ago.
    10-26-16 08:51 AM
    Cutting edge is called bleeding edge for a good reason. -- many scar to show for it. however, this is part of progress in the field. Apple do have one big advantage: no leak (or very little), except that phone left on the bar chair...
    As for the battery of z10, software maturity can help a lot, QNX is a machine language, directly port to the mobile device got have battery drain. I am very glad the 10.3.2 is optimized for mobile usage eventually. As for 2013 apple vs z10, someone forget the antennagate? battery wasn't that good with the signal low if i am recall. (both have problems - plus the battery technology was not as good as now... I see pointless to compare who had more trouble. Who can fix the trouble before their customer run away would be the key... apple with eco system, did have advantage to "trap" their customer).
    10-26-16 10:30 AM
    Video is a bit misleading, isn't it? This shows the Note 7 is faster in opening/running everyday apps. Games on the other hand open faster on the iphone, but that could be due to lower resolution on the iphone.

Then you have the Pixel.

The everyday app was only a fraction of a second faster, most probably due to the animation options of each device, Note 7 opting for a quicker animation. But overall, the iphone 7 is surprisingly and significantly faster considering it specs.

Also the pixel for some reason, was just horrible at this test, with more ram, it couldn't even manage to keep the apps open in background
    10-26-16 11:49 AM
    As long as Apple keeps themselves positioned as aspirational, basically as the Gucci of electronics, they will be fine as a company. They'll weather any storms in the HW market. What's made them so profitable has been the fat profit margins of their products, not necessarily the volume of product they sell.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-26-16 11:54 AM
    If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride.

Even in that alternate reality with the Z30/10.2.1 as the launch device, instead of the very late Z10 loaded with the incomplete and buggy 10.0... The lack of apps would still have killed it as it did in this reality.

Steering it nearly back on topic , the iPhone and the power of apps to extend the platform, killed BB10 before it was even born. Those posts I've seen that quip that BB10 was Dead *Before* Arrival speak the truth.
    Add to this that the BB10 devices were launched in near total silence and it's easy to understand how their failure happened. I love my Z30 but I was one of the very few that knew the device existed and that was ONLY because I started looking at CrackBerry forums before I got my first BlackBerry. The reasons for failure are multiple and each one alone was enough to prevent success.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-26-16 12:23 PM

Then you have the Pixel.

Everyday apps? Of the 15 apps 10 of them I would call everyday apps and it smashed through them and held them all in the background perfectly fine.

I'm not sure whether you are for or against the Pixel but the video didn't go through all the apps again which I imagine the iPhone would've ended up overtaking it.

Something Apple does really well is something that's raved about here, it's software and hardware is developed to work hand in hand so results in phones working very well even having 'lesser' specs. And those lesser specs still benchmarking very well as seen in the videos.

I'm not an Apple sheep either, just sometimes credit needs to be given when it's due.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-26-16 02:01 PM
    Everyday apps? Of the 15 apps 10 of them I would call everyday apps and it smashed through them and held them all in the background perfectly fine.

I'm not sure whether you are for or against the Pixel but the video didn't go through all the apps again which I imagine the iPhone would've ended up overtaking it.

Something Apple does really well is something that's raved about here, it's software and hardware is developed to work hand in hand so results in phones working very well even having 'lesser' specs. And those lesser specs still benchmarking very well as seen in the videos.

I'm not an Apple sheep either, just sometimes credit needs to be given when it's due.
    I think this is an example of what makes Apple so successful. These tests are like free publicity for Apple and we tend to underestimate how powerful they are. There's nothing geeky about this comparaison, we are not comparing RAM, number of cores, Ghz... stuff that most people have no idea what they are. We are comparing opening and closing apps... And Apple wins the race by a huge margin.

Since Apple custom design their OS to their custom designed processor, it probably helps them a lot in achieving such efficiency
    Yatezy likes this.
    10-26-16 06:58 PM
    Cutting edge is called bleeding edge for a good reason. -- many scar to show for it. however, this is part of progress in the field. Apple do have one big advantage: no leak (or very little), except that phone left on the bar chair...
    As for the battery of z10, software maturity can help a lot, QNX is a machine language, directly port to the mobile device got have battery drain. I am very glad the 10.3.2 is optimized for mobile usage eventually. As for 2013 apple vs z10, someone forget the antennagate? battery wasn't that good with the signal low if i am recall. (both have problems - plus the battery technology was not as good as now... I see pointless to compare who had more trouble. Who can fix the trouble before their customer run away would be the key... apple with eco system, did have advantage to "trap" their customer).
    Your timeline is way off. Antennagate took place back in 2010 with the iPhone 4.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-26-16 07:57 PM

Then you have the Pixel.

Those tests are garbage. For one you can't compare an Okla speed test and proclaim one as faster than the other. He could have ran the exact same test and ran the iPhone first and the Pixel second and seen totally different results. Or, just look at another video and see where the iPhone wins. Point being, trying to point out one video and showing a phone is faster is ridiculous.
    10-26-16 08:01 PM
    The "time from power on" test was interesting. I never realized how fast iPhone's boot up. Guess I've learned to make myself a coffee while waiting for my Playbook to come to life!
    10-26-16 08:40 PM
    Point being, trying to point out one video and showing a phone is faster is ridiculous.
    My point exactly, these "speed test" video are useless.
    10-26-16 09:42 PM
    The "time from power on" test was interesting. I never realized how fast iPhone's boot up. Guess I've learned to make myself a coffee while waiting for my Playbook to come to life!
    It boots twice as fast if you have it plugged in, when you turn it on.
    10-26-16 09:43 PM
    Your timeline is way off. Antennagate took place back in 2010 with the iPhone 4.
    oops--- aging brain. 9860 vs iphone4 was the game play, but fail in marketing, display.. but beat iphone 4 by yard on speaker and battery. not mention the antennagate...
    10-27-16 08:49 AM
    oops--- aging brain. 9860 vs iphone4 was the game play, but fail in marketing, display.. but beat iphone 4 by yard on speaker and battery. not mention the antennagate...
    Speaker quality is debatable. Also battery life shouldn't be compared because you had the tiny screen of the 9860 against the first retina display of the iPhone 4. The 9860 shouldn't be compared to the iPhone 4 unless you look at how stuck in the past Blackberry was even in 2010.
    10-27-16 11:00 AM
    Speaker quality is debatable. Also battery life shouldn't be compared because you had the tiny screen of the 9860 against the first retina display of the iPhone 4. The 9860 shouldn't be compared to the iPhone 4 unless you look at how stuck in the past Blackberry was even in 2010.
    give it try and 9860, 9850 really are not bad... Retina display is far superior display no doubt.... but the typing, the overall OS was not bad for 9860, especially pricewise.
    10-27-16 11:42 AM
567 ... 1314151617 ...