I'm on the market to get either a used 9810 or 9900! I just would like to know what to look out for before I pick one up.
    06-11-12 03:27 PM
    Like with any phone, make sure it's not blocked/stolen.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-11-12 03:34 PM
    On the 9810, make sure the touch screen keyboard comes up with the keyboard closed. The sensor that tells the software whether the keyboard is open or closed can be damaged when using two piece cases.
    06-11-12 03:39 PM
    use the phone to make a call out & also a call the phone. I purchased a 9900 & made the mistake of not testing speaker phone. I made a phone call & all was fine. on my way home I made a call put on the speaker phone & found out that the speaker was blown

I imediatly called the guy that sold it to me (even though I suspected It wouldn't help) he claimed that it was working when I purchased it & that I must have broken it in the 5 minutes that I had owned the phone.
    06-11-12 05:56 PM
    Check which frequency bands are configured and are compatible with your home network. T-Mo(US) uses unique 3G frequencies not compatible with 3G on other networks. (Avoid TMo branded devices unless you are on TMo)

Use the built in test routines when you examine it. http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...rdware-279884/
    amazinglygraceless and El Cid like this.
    06-11-12 06:11 PM
    When I bought mine off Kijiji, I met the guy, I checked out the housing, which was my way of seeing if it had been dropped or abused(no scratches yay!!!), made sure everything flowed properly on the screen(no lagging) so I went through a few of the apps and BBM, made sure it accepted my SIM card, you know the usual and tried out the screen keyboard.

Other things to make sure are do you like the feel of the phone in your hand, do you like the weight, does the screen resolution suit you and how do you like the build quality. Somewhat less important to me, but definitely things to check when buying as they all add up to the user experience.
    06-11-12 09:52 PM
    Check for possible water damage. I know you won tbe able to crack the BB open, but open the battery cover and look inside at the battery to see if the Battery has been exposed to water or mositure.

Also use a plain black picture/image and view it on the screen to make sure there is no dead pixles or bleeding on the edges of the screen.

Good luck
    Last edited by Bash_Man; 06-13-12 at 09:21 AM.
    06-12-12 02:50 AM
    Go to option/device type in "test". You won't be able to see your typing. Test EVERY THING in there. If every passed you got your self a fucntioning BB. Then go to option/device type in "buyr" to check if the phone has an IT policy or not
    troshs and El Cid like this.
    06-12-12 04:13 AM
    The best thing is if you can buy it from a dealer in your area, when you can see the condition of the device.

Sure, you can use buy it online but, make sure that you will get some pictures of the device.
    If you are buying used Blackberry which has been used for a few months make sure all the things you need there are working.. you can ask for pictures/videos for that..

Make sure it's not stolen / blacklisted.

If you are going to buy unlocked Blackberry, make sure it's supporting the frequency bands you are going to use it with (the carrier you want it for, and the carrier it was used with, should have the same bands supported on the device).

*You can always buy a used Blackberry in new condition which isn't been unlocked yet and get it unlocked by yourself using Blackberry unlocking services online.
    El Cid likes this.
    06-12-12 04:57 AM
    Agreed with Bash_Man .. Look at the litmus paper on battery and around the back of the phone where the battery sits.. if the paper is solid red/pink, then it is water damaged. Also look @ the charging port for any corrosion.

Hope that helps
    06-12-12 10:10 PM
    It is always better to buy electronics in person and not via web. This way, you can have a feel of the phone in your hands, and also to test the phone thoroughly before handing over your hard earned money.

Check for dead pixels, water damage, knocks and dents. You can know whether the owner treated the phone well by the physical condition of the phone. If he treated it like a piece of garbage, better to stay away as the phone has not been well maintained.
    06-12-12 10:29 PM
    If you are familiar with Gazelle, they have an ebay store called gazelle-store. They provide very detailed listings of all flaws on devices and give you a return window if the phone is not as described when you receive it. And they pay the return shipping.

A good option.
    El Cid likes this.
    06-13-12 12:54 AM
    B4 buying Take it to the service centre.dey ll check everytng whter warranty applies or not...dey ll check wheter all factory seals r intact or not. if no seals warranty does not apply
    Last edited by walibaa; 06-13-12 at 01:22 AM.
    06-13-12 01:17 AM
    B4 buying Take it to the service centre.dey ll check everytng whter warranty applies or not...dey ll check wheter all factory seals r intact or not. if no seals warranty does not apply
    If you don't buy it, i doubt they'll let you take it out to a service center.
    06-13-12 01:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD