Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    672 Global Posts

Default What Kind of Laptop Do BB Users Use?

Cant beat the Thinkpad. I've owned them for years.
    Thanked by:
    JR A (12-09-2012) 
    JR A likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by MaizerG View Post
    My laptop is broken, it was a hp g5000, now Im using a pre historical desktop Pentium 4 - 2.6 Ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB HDD,64 MB Video, 17" monitor. Lol
    You'd be amazed at what you can do with even those specs. I've got a Pentium III 1.1ghz with a $40 Nvidia geforce 8400gs pci card running XBMC that will play h264 1080p videos buttery smooth with barely 30% cpu. So slap a 8400gs or similar in that thing and you'd have a pretty decent HTPC.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    2b9a3c0a

I have the new Retina Display Mac Book Pro. I don't really do anything on it other than write stuff for school, listen to Spotify, go on Twitter, and watch the occasional movie I rent from iTunes or that I stream from Netflix or HBO Go. I have like 4 songs in my iTunes account, and don't use any of the multimedia stuff Apple has preloaded, which is why I got the 8GB.

2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
    8GB 1600MHz.

Every HP or Dell desktop I had used with Windows was just a ticking time bomb in terms of slowness and other problems. Never again will I use a Windows-powered ANNYTHINNGGGG (though I am jealous that BlackBerry Desktop Manager on a PC is waayyy better than it is for Macs)
    Sean

Twitter: @SeanKelleher

Global Posts
    30,845 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN:K Floyd!

Main laptop: Dell XPS 13 i5 1.6G, 4GB RAM, 100GB HD, 13 inch , less than 2lbs!

old laptop: Compaq c700 Dual Core 1.6, 2GBs RAM, 100GB HD, 15 inch (screen works when it wants to work, but I have it hooked up to my TV and use it as a media server, plus I run a PlayOn server on it)
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    PIN
    Maybe...

2007 MBP for my daily driver
    Have you hit SEARCH today?/
    CrackBerry Abuser

Alienware m14x r2 16g 1600mhz ram, i7 3820cpu, 2g gt 650m gpu, 500ghhd with a 32g ssd caching drive...i call it The Beast
    i don't know if there's an afterlife...
    but i'm bringing a spare battery just in case
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    32FAAC54

Wow...I also have a Thinkpad. An X60t. I use it because I am studying to become a computer engineer and need lots of math/physics courses which are impossible to take notes with on a regular laptop.

I have upgraded the RAM and added an SSD, it boots quite fast despite being only average (pretty slow by today's standards) speed.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    JR A (12-09-2012) 
    JR A likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,650 Global Posts

Acer V5-571G
    Upgraded to 128GB Kingston SSD
    Intel Core i5-3317U 1.7 GHz (with burst to 2.6GHz)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 620M
    8GB RAM
    15.6 inch 16:9, 1366x768 pixel, LED display
    Upgraded to Windows 8 Pro
    4 hour battery
    Blackberry 10 > Windows Phone 7/8 > Blackberry 7 > iOS > Android > Symbian > WebOS > Meego
    CrackBerry Addict

E-Machine Notebook with Win 7 Ultimate....pretty basic stuff. Phone does everything for me so...
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,052 Global Posts

I have my Mac for basic restore and backups but I have a gateway that is from 05 that I use for all my os stuff.

Sent using Tapatalk
    twitter: @eve6er69_chris
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    PIN
    322D4970

No laptop here either. Just a PlayBook, does what I want it to do. It still amazes me that the hardware is almost 2 years old now, it just runs so fast.
    In RIM we trust!
    CrackBerry Addict

15'' MacBook Pro with best specs available
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by throughtheblack View Post

After reading through the thread, I'm happy to see that Ubuntu has remarkably high representation here. A word of advice to those thinking of trying it out; stay away from 12.10, it's pretty much a beta and you may not have a very fun time (hence no LTS). Is everyone using Unity desktop? I've tried Gnome shell, KDE 4 and Cinnamon, all of which are good DE's but I just keep coming back to Unity. After using Linux of different flavours for about a decade now, and seeing what QNX can do just on the Playbook, I have absolutely no use for Windows.
    I am still not a big fan of unity. I used to be a fedora user since 5 but switched to mint when fedora 15 came and I hated the de. I use cinnamon or mate now, depending on the system. I used 12.04 for a week or so, but cinnamon is just so good there is no reason to switch. 14 is the best Linux desktop experience I've ever had.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,563 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #64  

Quote Originally Posted by SK122387 View Post
    I have the new Retina Display Mac Book Pro. I don't really do anything on it other than write stuff for school, listen to Spotify, go on Twitter, and watch the occasional movie I rent from iTunes or that I stream from Netflix or HBO Go. I have like 4 songs in my iTunes account, and don't use any of the multimedia stuff Apple has preloaded, which is why I got the 8GB.

2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
    8GB 1600MHz.

Every HP or Dell desktop I had used with Windows was just a ticking time bomb in terms of slowness and other problems. Never again will I use a Windows-powered ANNYTHINNGGGG (though I am jealous that BlackBerry Desktop Manager on a PC is waayyy better than it is for Macs)
    CCleaner my friend, CCleaner...

That's why my 7 year old PC running Windows Ultimate smokes the **** out of some of these newer machines.
    eddy_berry likes this.
    Waterloo's Finest

Global Posts
    5,324 Global Posts

I have a dell desktop, an HP laptop, blackberry tablet, blackberry phone. The item that gets least used is my laptop. since the purchase of my pb it has been more of a paperweight and study figure for the concept of amortization than anything lol.
    Phones: Nokia 5110>Nokia 3360>Siemens C56>Moto RAZR>LG Chocolate>Pearl 8100>Bold 9000 >Pearl 9100 + Bold 9900 > iPhone 4S + Z10 + Bold 9000
    Tablets: 16GB Playbook > Playbook 32GB
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SEXY GIRLS IN YOGA PANTS CHANNEL

C000288CC
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________

I must admit, i dont really use a laptop, now wether thats because my current model is old (single core 2gb ram) will be something i`ll soon find out, as im taking delivery of a new one this week.
    Its hardly blwo your world away specs, because i have my desktop for that, but its a `ultrabook` (cringe) which i went for mainly for portability. its made by a uk company called novatech, has an i5, 8Gb ram and a cherryville 120Gb SSD (they ent cheap) but thats pretty much it, like i say, desktop is where most of my work is done. also in 2013 i`ll be building my own 21Tb NAS so harddrive space really isnt going to be an issue, i`ll basically have my own cloud

As for my desktop (where the work gets done) i custom built it earlier this year, some of the spec is `last year` specs, but i went for a compromise between value, power and space.Even so its still pretty awesome and i can do almost anything on it and it doesnt even skip a beat.
    Its a i7 2600K processor running at 4.4Ghz overclock on air cooling
    Has a gtx570 3Gb RAM graphics card (60fps constant under any settings),
    has 32Gb RAM @ 1600mhz
    a 60Gb SSD sata3 6gbp/s(for windows7 ultimate and Adobe tools)
    a 2Tb sata3 6gbp/s 7200rpm HDD for all other apps and day to day stuff,
    a 2Tb sata3 6gbp/s (but running at 3gbp/s due to motherboard slots) 5400rpm drive for all my media and currentlyfor my backups.

Its also got some cool stuff like fan controllers, blu-ray and a (relatively rare) 5.25" storage bay and 10 fans in total (3 on graphics card, twin fans on the noctua CPU cooler, a 200mm fan at the front, 3x 120mm fans on the back/top and a 50mm fan sat on the motherboard due to it being a sabertooth board), then its also got 2 monitors, and sits on a home LAN i set up so i can transfer between my xbox, pc, tv and laptop (wifi streaming coming with my NAS for my mobile devices).

Oh and the best bit? i get 70meg down and 20meg up speed at home so coupled with the SSD speed virtually everything is instant (on windows too!!) and never any buffering.....ever.

Thorsten said ZED 10. deal with it
    My Apps in BlackBerry World
    My Platinum 9900

For all my themes - BBThemes.co.uk and follow me on @BBThemes1
    Waterloo's Finest

Global Posts
    5,324 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BBThemes View Post
    I must admit, i dont really use a laptop, now wether thats because my current model is old (single core 2gb ram) will be something i`ll soon find out, as im taking delivery of a new one this week.
    Its hardly blwo your world away specs, because i have my desktop for that, but its a `ultrabook` (cringe) which i went for mainly for portability. its made by a uk company called novatech, has an i5, 8Gb ram and a cherryville 120Gb SSD (they ent cheap) but thats pretty much it, like i say, desktop is where most of my work is done. also in 2013 i`ll be building my own 21Tb NAS so harddrive space really isnt going to be an issue, i`ll basically have my own cloud

As for my desktop (where the work gets done) i custom built it earlier this year, some of the spec is `last year` specs, but i went for a compromise between value, power and space.Even so its still pretty awesome and i can do almost anything on it and it doesnt even skip a beat.
    Its a i7 2600K processor running at 4.4Ghz overclock on air cooling
    Has a gtx570 3Gb RAM graphics card (60fps constant under any settings),
    has 32Gb RAM @ 1600mhz
    a 60Gb SSD sata3 6gbp/s(for windows7 ultimate and Adobe tools)
    a 2Tb sata3 6gbp/s 7200rpm HDD for all other apps and day to day stuff,
    a 2Tb sata3 6gbp/s (but running at 3gbp/s due to motherboard slots) 5400rpm drive for all my media and currentlyfor my backups.

Its also got some cool stuff like fan controllers, blu-ray and a (relatively rare) 5.25" storage bay and 10 fans in total (3 on graphics card, twin fans on the noctua CPU cooler, a 200mm fan at the front, 3x 120mm fans on the back/top and a 50mm fan sat on the motherboard due to it being a sabertooth board), then its also got 2 monitors, and sits on a home LAN i set up so i can transfer between my xbox, pc, tv and laptop (wifi streaming coming with my NAS for my mobile devices).

Oh and the best bit? i get 70meg down and 20meg up speed at home so coupled with the SSD speed virtually everything is instant (on windows too!!) and never any buffering.....ever.
    If those are last years specs i dont want to even know when mine are from. I think mine has one fan
    Phones: Nokia 5110>Nokia 3360>Siemens C56>Moto RAZR>LG Chocolate>Pearl 8100>Bold 9000 >Pearl 9100 + Bold 9900 > iPhone 4S + Z10 + Bold 9000
    Tablets: 16GB Playbook > Playbook 32GB
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SEXY GIRLS IN YOGA PANTS CHANNEL

C000288CC
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________

Quote Originally Posted by Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes View Post
    If those are last years specs i dont want to even know when mine are from. I think mine has one fan
    haha, yeah i mean in the sense of a gtx570 rather than a 670 (i dont game so id just be throwing money away, i have an xbox for that) and a i7 2600k CPU (2nd gen) over a new i7, spec wise theres not alot in it tbh.

I did make sure it was `future proof` though, which was why i made it myself. it cost me about 1300 or so, a equivalent spec alienware would cost 3000+ and a equivalent mac pro would cost 4500+. But i do alot of graphics processing and media stuff on my pc, so i need that power, its overkill in a way, but 2 years down the line it`ll still run things real well

My Platinum 9900

Global Posts
    51,291 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me...always like new friends!

MacBook Pro 13" running Boot Camp with Win Vista Business.
    Best of both worlds.
    I'll Always Be Ramblin' in Rehab: Where the real Bold addicts are!
    OS 10.2.1.2947 on VZW-HTTR forever
    Need Sideloading Help? http://forums.crackberry.com/android...ur-z10-821005/
    Need help using the CB10 App? http://forums.crackberry.com/forum-h...10-app-872463/

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee5799 View Post
    MacBook Pro 13" running Boot Camp with Win Vista Business.
    Best of both worlds.
    vista was never best of any world lol, dunno if you can get win7 running in boot camp, but id say if ya can, then do it

My Platinum 9900

CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,471 Global Posts

2012 Macbook Pro 15"

Processor: 2GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 4GB 1333MHz DDR3
    Storage: 500GB
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Curve 8300 then....Q10 now

Music/Film/Tech
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,525 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot Prop View Post
    2012 Macbook Pro 15"

Processor: 2GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 4GB 1333MHz DDR3
    Storage: 500GB
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    That looks like a 2011 MBP

Global Posts
    5,817 Global Posts
    PIN
    7901FC6B

HP Pavilion dv6 running Windows 8.
    Everyone, everyone, stop fighting! Look unto me! I possess the blue flag! I wield the power infinite! The universal fabric is mine to unravel! My every thought becomes reality! Mountains will fall! Seas will boil! Day will be at night! People will...run...chicks'll dig me!

Almost one year old - HP Pavilion dv7 entertainment center i7 8GB RAM 750 HD 2.20 GHZ Windows 8 Pro.

It's still running well. I'll wait until next year to upgrade.

Microprocessor 2.20 GHz 2nd generation Intel Core i7-2670QM Processor with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.10 GHz
    Memory 8GB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM)
    Memory Max Maximum supported = 16GB
    Video Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000
    Hard Drive 750GB 5400RPM hard drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
    Multimedia Drive SuperMulti DVD burner
    Display 17.3-inch diagonal HD+ BrightView LED-backlit display (1600 x 900)
    Network Card 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
    Wireless Connectivity 802.11b/g/n WLAN

WiMAX combo card with WiDi
    Sound Beats Audio with 4 speakers and the HP TripleBass Reflex Subwoofer
    Keyboard Full-size island-style keyboard with numeric keypad
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 12-09-2012 at 05:30 PM.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup

Me pc
    What Kind of Laptop Do BB Users Use?-pc_1.jpg

The graphics card (ya, its pretty slick )
    What Kind of Laptop Do BB Users Use?-gtx570.jpg

Possibly the best bit, a cd drive sized storage tray
    What Kind of Laptop Do BB Users Use?-pc_2.jpg

My Platinum 9900

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast