Hi there,
    I've been a Palm PDA user for many years. It's just not working for me these days. I have Outlook and it doesn't synch right (I get 4 -5 of the same meetings even when I delete them), everything is unstable for me now and I'm getting sick and tired of having so many devices (Palm and cell).

So- I've been looking into a Blackberry.

Is it worth it?

Here is what I would love.
    Internet, e-mail, maybe GPS, Outlook & Contacts Use

I was told that it would cost me $30 extra per month. Any other fee's associated. I read somewhere about cost of $10 per month on GPS, but possibly there are free alternatives.

Which is better - the Pearl or the Curve? Should I wait for the Bold. Not sure I want to spend as much as the Bold may cost when it first comes out, but boy is it PRETTY!

What else do I need to know - I'm completely useless. By the way - I'm new here
    06-03-08 01:02 PM
    I personally like the Pearl, for a comparison between the two search around the forums.
    Last edited by jcm4; 06-03-08 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Wasn't thinking.
    06-03-08 01:07 PM
    Here's a comparison of the Pearl and Curve Models:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/curv...n-specs-40249/

As for charging for GPS, I believe that would be dependent on your provider. With AT&T, it's all included in the $30 monthly fee.
    06-03-08 01:16 PM
    Chaz, your post has come in very handy here!!

Anyhow, I personally would not start out with the Bold as my first Blackberry. It is beautiful and top of the line, but for the money and all the stuff it does, I would not think this would be a good first phone for a Blackberry newcomer.

That being said, a Blackberry will definitely be perfect for you - you will love it! The data plan will cost you extra per month, yes, but if you are emailing and using the internet a lot, it will be worth every penny.

You mentioned specifically that you email a lot. I would recommend the Curve. It has the full qwerty keyboard. Also, since you will be using the internet a lot, its larger screen will come in handy. Hope this helps!!
    06-03-08 01:24 PM
    Ok -I'm getting excited, lol! Doesn't take much.

Next questions - How important is the Wifi?

Can I surf the internet well enough without it? I'm thinking I would use GPS. If I'm not mistaken and looking at these right, you can't get GPS and WiFi.

I think I'm sold on the curve.
    06-03-08 01:54 PM
    You should be excited - these little phones are amazing!!

I personally do not use Wifi... My internet functions just fine. However, I use Opera Mini usually instead of the native BB browser. It shows the pages with a more "real internet" feel.
    06-03-08 01:56 PM
    Do you purchase the program Operal Mini?
    06-03-08 01:57 PM
    The Curve is awesome -

I don't have WiFi, and get along just fine. And correct, not GPS and WiFi together. I love having GPS.
    06-03-08 01:58 PM
    Opera Mini is a free D/L here:
    http://www.operamini.com/download/
    06-03-08 01:58 PM
    You are all so amazingly helpful! Thanks so much! I'm hoping I get it today- tomorrow at the latest!!
    06-03-08 02:14 PM
    No problem, darlin.

Enjoy your new Blackberry and let us know how it works out for ya!
    06-03-08 02:42 PM
    Okay, after reading some of these responses now I have a question. About the data plan, the service plan I'm looking at (with Alltel) Says that it comes with unlimited Blackberry Internet Service. And I asked this question in a thread of my own, and I was told that if the plan says that I'm covered as far as a data plan goes. Would I still have to pay for an additional thing?
    06-03-08 03:16 PM
    Unlimited BIS with Alltell should be all you need for Email, internet, and BB Messenger. To my knowledge, there should be no hidden costs, but maybe an Alltell customer will respond with more info.
    06-03-08 03:20 PM
    Okay, after reading some of these responses now I have a question. About the data plan, the service plan I'm looking at (with Alltel) Says that it comes with unlimited Blackberry Internet Service. And I asked this question in a thread of my own, and I was told that if the plan says that I'm covered as far as a data plan goes. Would I still have to pay for an additional thing?
    That is all it takes. There are no hidden fees that pop up.

I have the Telenav GPS that is $9.95 additional, but that isn't on my phone bill. That is separate.

I thought I could save me some money and go without a Blackberry at one time, but I went through withdrawls (LOL) and I'm back.

You'll enjoy the heck out of the thing!
    06-03-08 03:57 PM
    I'm with AllTel, and have had no hidden fees. I'm emailing or on the internet for hours everyday via crackberry, so it shouldn't be a problem for you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-08 04:01 PM
    I'm with AllTel, and have had no hidden fees. I'm emailing or on the internet for hours everyday via crackberry, so it shouldn't be a problem for you.

Not sure if you would know this or not but. Can you text back and forth between US and Canada. I plan on getting unlimited text, and at the moment I'm on T-mobile and they don't charge any extra for the "international" texting, even though it might as well be the same country considering the part of Canada I'm communicating with is Ontario. But back to the point, would Alltel charge me extra for texting with Canada?
    06-03-08 04:06 PM
    For the OP - what carrier do you have? Then we can tell you what you'll get for your $30.

If it's Sprint, the $30 includes unlimited data/internet, texting, push email, and sprint tv (everything except the premium channels). All I pay for in addition to the $30 is minutes. GPS is included too if you have a phone that has it, but I think if want turn-by-turn navigation there's a monthly fee (I only use BB maps and figure out the turns myself).
    Last edited by Flurrycat; 06-03-08 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Forgot about GPS!
    06-03-08 06:59 PM
    Not sure if you would know this or not but. Can you text back and forth between US and Canada. I plan on getting unlimited text, and at the moment I'm on T-mobile and they don't charge any extra for the "international" texting, even though it might as well be the same country considering the part of Canada I'm communicating with is Ontario. But back to the point, would Alltel charge me extra for texting with Canada?
    I don't really know any Canadien's phone numbers. So, no, I don't know this. Sorry.
    06-03-08 09:34 PM
    I purchased my Curve Blackberry last night. I love it. ATT is charging $10.00 a month for the GPS feature. I was hoping that was included, but it's not.

I'm trying to figure everything out. I can tell its going to take a while to learn everything and get it configured right.

I have to figure out how add my verizon e-mail address and my hotmail e-mail address. Both of those wouldn't add to the phone - that's going to take some digging to figure it out.

I'm also hoping that I can figure out how to make my contacts show up under catergories like i have them in outlook and Palm - its so much easier to look at - but the find works well too so its probably not an issue. More so of a neatness factor for me.

I also have to work on getting stuff I had on my Palm into Outlook now. Patience will be a virtue here.
    06-04-08 09:39 AM
    -----

As I understand it, it doesn't have Wi-Fi but the bold does. Also, I've heard you don't really want Wi-Fi unless you want others to have access to your phone and info. In other words, it's not really safe. You have 24/7 Internet access already, w/o it. The BOLD will have Wi-Fi.

Well, get that phone and enjoy it. It's got a sharp learning curve and it's not always easy to use, probably because it's too hi-tech, but you'll like it.

-----
    06-04-08 09:51 AM
    I would say get a Bold because it looks hot and is going to be one great device. However like others said, its not a new user device. Pearls are a good choice.

06-04-08 10:05 AM
    ohh NM, enjoy your Curve OP. Its a good one too. There's so much to learn with these devices and keyboard shortcuts are great!

06-04-08 10:10 AM
    There are a lot of options for GPS on any blackberry and most of them have free trials to get you going.

At&t Navigator $10/month - good software
    Garmin for Blackberry $99 one time fee - good software
    Telenav $10/month - previous option on At&t - many peoples favorite
    Nav4All - free but bare bones
    Copilot Live - 6 month free trial - no price yet but other devices $99

Those are the main programs for voice navigation, and their are some free mapping programs like Google maps or Blackberry Maps.

Search this forum for anything that you have questions about, chances are someone has some info. The Curve is an awesome device, I have had it for 4 months, and I am still learning new things about it everyday!

Welcome to crackberry!
    06-04-08 10:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD