I do not like being abandoned, but that is precisely what BlackBerry is apparently preparing to do to me and many.

The synergy of BlackBerry 10, its hub, combined with Blend and Link on my Passport SE provides me a powerful real time experience in my work environment. For me it is a powerfully productive daily work experience.

So I will eventually have to drag myself into a non-BlackBerry 10 experience. Please point me to apps on the other platforms that achieve the perfection of my current BlackBerry 10 experience.

BlackBerry Passport SE driven by 10.3.2.2339 on T-Mobile
    johnm137 and FF22 like this.
    09-16-15 09:58 AM
    I do not like being abandoned, but that is precisely what BlackBerry is apparently preparing to do to me and many.

The synergy of BlackBerry 10, its hub, combined with Blend and Link on my Passport SE provides me a powerful real time experience in my work environment. For me it is a powerfully productive daily work experience.

So I will eventually have to drag myself into a non-BlackBerry 10 experience. Please point me to apps on the other platforms that achieve the perfection of my current BlackBerry 10 experience.

BlackBerry Passport SE driven by 10.3.2.2339 on T-Mobile
    nothing?
    09-16-15 10:06 AM
    I have an Android now. I don't miss anything but the hub. however, there are apps to combine all your emails together. Other social media is separate. Link? who needs to cable up to backup? it backs up to the cloud.

You get used to a new operating system very quickly and make it your own. Moving to Android was not nearly as painful as everyone said it would be. Either that or I'm smarter than they think! LOL
    09-16-15 10:08 AM
    I have an Android now. I don't miss anything but the hub. however, there are apps to combine all your emails together. Other social media is separate. Link? who needs to cable up to backup? it backs up to the cloud.

You get used to a new operating system very quickly and make it your own. Moving to Android was not nearly as painful as everyone said it would be. Either that or I'm smarter than they think! LOL
    Unlike you, I am not prepared to backup my phone data to some "cloud." "Link"ing up with some cable to backup my phone keeps my data under my roof and under my control!
    09-16-15 10:31 AM
    Android doesn't really have anything outside of using the cloud for backups and music.

iOS obviously has iTunes to where you can save your backups there or you have the option of saving them to the Cloud. iOS doesn't need Blend if you are using other Apple devices as all of the messages can be seen through whatever device you are using. If you aren't using an iOS device with your phone then you are kind of out of luck. Blend is the only one that I know of that works across different platforms.
    09-16-15 10:53 AM
    Speaking of "cloud" services, there are other options. I use a Western Digital 4TB My Cloud device. For $200 USD you can have your own cloud device that is as secure as your own network at home or work.

Because BB10 can run Android versions of Apps, I use the WD App on my Passport to back up to my 256 bit encrypted personal cloud. The app is essentially a VPN Access Point. Works well.

Passport. It will take you places.
    09-16-15 11:04 AM
    The problem with personal clouds is that hard disks eventually fail.

 Z30 - 10.3.2.2639
    09-16-15 11:14 AM
    Hmm...setting yourself up for disappointment, much? There is a thing called "functional fixation" where someone gets locked in on how something is used rather than what it accomplishes. I see a lot of that, here - I must have the Hub, I need access to the file system; I must be able to swipe to make this happen; I need to be able to pull the battery, etc.

Functional fixedness is a cognitive bias that limits a person to using an object only in the way it is traditionally used. The concept of functional fixedness originated in Gestalt Psychology, a movement in psychology that emphasizes holistic processing.
    You're asking for the Android or iOS version of how you do things on BB10. If they do these things differently then, of course, you aren't going to find them. If you let that distress you too much then you are probably getting functionally fixated on how you do things on BB10
    09-16-15 11:20 AM
    I abhor all desktop companions: Link, iTunes, Kies etc.

On Android, I backup to external memory, Dropbox, keychain OTG puck and portable hard drive with local cloud.

Complete nandroids are very convenient.
    09-16-15 11:32 AM
    There are no alternatives, trust me, I've been looking.

The closest thing to blend is air droid, and even that lacks some usability that blend has.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-16-15 11:33 AM
    Hmm...setting yourself up for disappointment, much? There is a thing called "functional fixation" where someone gets locked in on how something is used rather than what it accomplishes. I see a lot of that, here - I must have the Hub, I need access to the file system; I must be able to swipe to make this happen; I need to be able to pull the battery, etc.

You're asking for the Android or iOS version of how you do things on BB10. If they do these things differently then, of course, you aren't going to find them. If you let that distress you too much then you are probably getting functionally fixated on how you do things on BB10
    I get what you're saying. I experienced an unreasonable amount of grief when switching from Palm to BlackBerry because I "needed" BBDM to act just like Palm Desktop.
    09-16-15 11:34 AM
    There are no alternatives, trust me, I've been looking.

The closest thing to blend is air droid, and even that lacks some usability that blend has.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I would think Blend features would be replicated by a lot of Google cloud services off the bat.
    09-16-15 11:36 AM
    I see what you are saying about being fixated, however, unless android has changed how they do things, BlackBerry does a lot of things better. The op mentioned email. The way android does email in my opinion is atrocious. I never checked my email on Android unless it was can't wait important. My BlackBerry is all I ever check my mail on. It's just that good. Android sucks in a lot of ways to me. Can I use it again if I have to? Yeah. Do I want to? No. I went home BlackBerry to get away from Google and found that I like the is better as a bonus. So fixation or not, the BlackBerry android is going to have to have some features of bb10 that I like it I have no reason not to just buy a different android phone over the BlackBerry one.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-15 11:40 AM
    I would think Blend features would be replicated by a lot of Google cloud services off the bat.
    I want nothing to do with any cloud let alone a Google one. The ONLY thing I ever use a cloud for is saving xbox games and that doesn't even work that well.

Posted via CB10
    blackmoe and FF22 like this.
    09-16-15 11:42 AM
    I too want cable based backups for a variety of reasons, which I do no need to defend to anyone. To each their own.

To answer the OP's question, I switched to Android and now use VCOrganizer as my phone PIM (Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Notes), as it has a USB Sync capability that allows it to sync to Outlook (not Outlook.com) as my desktop PIM via USB cable. For convenience, I have also enabled the VCOrganizer Sync to native Android People/Calendar so other apps replying on native Android PIM data can work, but I've disabled all syncing of native Android apps to Google. My data stays on my devices.

I also use Helium (formerly known as Carbon) to back up my phone, as it offers the ability to back up to internal storage. I then just plug my phone into my desktop using a USB cable and use Windows Explorer to copy the Carbon folder to my PC.

Finally, I regularly back up my local PC to a USB hard drive.

It's definitely not as convenient as using the defauly Google or Apple ecosystem, but it offers other advantages I find compelling.

As an FYI, in the latest reviews, Apple is getting higher marks than Google for protecting privacy :

https://www.macnn.com/articles/15/06....firms.129125/

Tim Cook: Customers, Not Companies, Should Control Their Data - InformationWeek

- R.
    09-16-15 11:55 AM

You seem to be suggesting that achieving synergy is some type of psychosis! I emphatically reject this supposition! Most people, myself included, work hard to achieve an environment that suits our drive for accomplishment. When we find that environment, as in BlackBerry 10, etal, we then subscribe to the axiom "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

The current distribution of BlackBerry 10, while it will always be in need of refinements (that's called growth), "ain't broke." What is broke is BlackBerry's ability to zero in like a laser beam on making one thing work. BlackBerry seems to be throwing a handful of darts to see what sticks and then trying that.

For better or worse, if Android IS BlackBerry's chosen route to salvation, then they damn well better focus on making it the damn best Android on this planet, or the universe for that matter. Simply joining the Android universe is no ticket to ride toward success. Excellence is the ticket.
    09-16-15 12:05 PM
    The problem with personal clouds is that hard disks eventually fail.

 Z30 - 10.3.2.2639
    And you can be absolutely certain that managed clouds never fail. Have you ever read the fine print suggesting in so many thousands of words "buyer beware"?
    Omahahaha likes this.
    09-16-15 12:06 PM
    I get what you're saying. I experienced an unreasonable amount of grief when switching from Palm to BlackBerry because I "needed" BBDM to act just like Palm Desktop.
    My move from Palm webOS to BlackBerry 10 was quite painless as the underlying foundations were (are!) very similar.
    Omahahaha likes this.
    09-16-15 12:08 PM
    The BlackBerry Experience Suite?

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    09-16-15 12:09 PM
    And you can be absolutely certain that managed clouds never fail. Have you ever read the fine print suggesting in so many thousands of words "buyer beware"?
    Do you know what a SAN is?

The probability of failure of your hard disk is much, much higher than a properly managed service.

Anyway, the choice is yours.

 Z30 - 10.3.2.2639
    09-16-15 12:10 PM
    It's readily apparent that there is nothing outside of the BB realm that will satisfy your needs. Guess when BB10 is completely abandoned you will have to go back to pad and pencil and carry a day planner.

Now that we solved that....................this thread can be closed.
    cribble2k and kbz1960 like this.
    09-16-15 12:16 PM
    Do you know what a SAN is?

The probability of failure of your hard disk is much, much higher than a properly managed service.

Anyway, the choice is yours.

 Z30 - 10.3.2.2639
    You presume my ignorance, but that is fine.

I am "crazy" according to the current standards of technology use by the everyday consumer.

I use NAS and SAN and physically maintain multi-level, multi-product, multi-location backups of the data I produce on a daily basis.

I know there are not many who will do what I do - to each their own.
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    09-16-15 12:17 PM
    The BlackBerry Experience Suite?

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    One can only hope!
    09-16-15 12:18 PM
    You presume my ignorance, but that is fine.

I am "crazy" according to the current standards of technology use by the everyday consumer.

I use NAS and SAN and physically maintain multi-level, multi-product, multi-location backups of the data I produce on a daily basis.

I know there are not many who will do what I do - to each their own.
    Sorry if I looked rude, it was not my intention.

I only wanted to highlight that personal "clouds" are dangerous if you rely on them to store important information if you are not careful enough - that I see is not your case.

 Z30 - 10.3.2.2639
    09-16-15 12:48 PM
    I see what you are saying about being fixated, however, unless android has changed how they do things, BlackBerry does a lot of things better. The op mentioned email. The way android does email in my opinion is atrocious. I never checked my email on Android unless it was can't wait important. My BlackBerry is all I ever check my mail on. It's just that good. Android sucks in a lot of ways to me. Can I use it again if I have to? Yeah. Do I want to? No. I went home BlackBerry to get away from Google and found that I like the is better as a bonus. So fixation or not, the BlackBerry android is going to have to have some features of bb10 that I like it I have no reason not to just buy a different android phone over the BlackBerry one.

Posted via CB10
    Depends on one's usage. If one uses Gmail and/or Gapps, the Hub could be considered atrocious.
    cribble2k likes this.
    09-16-15 01:06 PM
87 123 ...