I keep getting a popup about trying to open a secure connection and a certificate is not trusted. It is from an AOL site called shortcuts.com. I understand that their cert is expired or whatever, but what I really want to know is:

What is INITIATING the opening of a secure connection?

I usually get this shortly after a reboot or battery pull, but also at random times when I'm actively using the device, or sometimes I'll pick it up and it will be there.

Process, service book, gremlin, I just want it to stop. I'd be OK with AOL ceasing to exist as well.
    05-05-10 09:31 AM
    I understand that. I just don't know what is initiating the opening of the connection in the first place. How can I get my device to stop trying to access the remote server, service, page, connection, whatever?
    05-05-10 09:59 AM
    I understand that. I just don't know what is initiating the opening of the connection in the first place. How can I get my device to stop trying to access the remote server, service, page, connection, whatever?
    To clarify, do you mean that even when you are not actively in your browser and attempting to go to "shortcuts.com," you will just get that message at random times? (For instance, you could be playing Brickbreaker and it'll just pop up on its own?)
    05-05-10 10:08 AM
    To clarify, do you mean that even when you are not actively in your browser and attempting to go to "shortcuts.com," you will just get that message at random times? (For instance, you could be playing Brickbreaker and it'll just pop up on its own?)
    Exactly. it just pops up at random. It usually does it once shortly after a reboot, but then just randomly a few times a day. See original post..
    05-05-10 10:14 AM
    OPTIONS-SECURITY OPTIONS-ADVANCED SECURITY OPTIONS-TLS Under SERVER AUTHENTICATION, select NO for Prompt for Server Trust.
    But WHY is my device initiating the connection? Its not that I don't want to be prompted, its that I don't want to open the connection to begin with.
    05-05-10 10:16 AM
    I don't have any apps running that I can tell. Holding the BB menu key doesn't seem to do anything on my 8330m... I am familiar with the alt+escape method of switching apps, but all that show up are the default BB apps, Messages, BBM, Home, Browser, and Phone. These always show up regardless.
    05-05-10 10:36 AM
    Ok so it turns out I had a bookmark to shortcuts.com and it was set to Auto-synchronize. I guess the cert must have expired recently, which is why I started getting the warning.

Thanks for time everyone who responded.
    05-05-10 11:45 AM
    Ok so it turns out I had a bookmark to shortcuts.com and it was set to Auto-synchronize. I guess the cert must have expired recently, which is why I started getting the warning.

Thanks for time everyone who responded.
    Glad you figured it out!
    05-05-10 12:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD