Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 80
Like Tree111Likes
  1. CatlinFD's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,434 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,447 Global Posts
    PIN
    24E2B9CC
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default What if RIM had Barack Obama at the Launch Event?

    Yeah, I know you cant use the President of the United States in advertisements but nothing is stopping him from launching anything. Could you imagine the press worldwide that would result from Barack Obama appearing on stage with Thorsten? It would undoubtedly end up trending on Twitter worldwide and quite possibly could reach the frontpage on Reddit if they managed to pull it off spectacularly in a magical way

    "Mr Thorsten, I present to you the President of the United States to officially launch BB10 around the world"

    thekidshop likes this.
  2. Phill_UK's Avatar
    CrackBerry Wiseguy

    Posts
    12,709 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,725 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    "Mr Heins...
    • That's Phill… with 2 L's
  3. Bla1ze's Avatar
    Time Lord

    Posts
    10,223 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,364 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CatlinFD View Post
    Could you imagine the press worldwide that would result from Barack Obama appearing on stage with Thorsten?
    It would be bad press. You don't sell products by introducing them alongside politics.
    “There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”

    [ Mobile Nations Sites: Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Smartwatch Fans]
    Thanked by 5:
    Blacklatino (01-07-2013),  goku_vegeta (01-07-2013),  howarmat (01-06-2013),  jegs2 (01-06-2013),  rotorwrench (01-06-2013) 
  4. taz323's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    727 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,075 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default Re: What if RIM had Barack Obama at the Launch Event?

    the Pres. carring a BB is press in it self, Rim needs to hit the media. when was the last time you saw a tv ad for BB.
    Thanked by:
    The Furbz (01-06-2013) 
  5. Roo Zilla's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,339 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,567 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CatlinFD View Post
    Yeah, I know you cant use the President of the United States in advertisements but nothing is stopping him from launching anything
    Why can't the POTUS appear in advertisements? There's no law against it and he appeared in quite a few this past fall.
  6. sexybabe88's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    437 Posts
    #6  

    Default What if RIM had Barack Obama at the Launch Event?

    i would lose all respect for potus if that happens. pretty sure i'm not the only one. i'm pretty confident he respects the office well enough to not even consider attempting something like that.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
  7. lynxs_claw's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    965 Posts
    Global Posts
    969 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    I think it would speak volumes if the President was just seen using the x10 (he does seem to be an z10 kind of guy). RIM should give him one customized to his favorite color specially engraved.
  8. #8  

    Default

    If he shows up and appears to back BB in any way in a commercial manner, the GOP and Tea Party will go insane tearing him apart. Additionally, they will associate the brand to Obama, and if anyone thinks the phone wars are intense, that's nothing in comparison to the negative press BB will get just by mere association.
    In other words, 53% will see nothing wrong or will be neutral, and the remaining 47% who is rabid anti Obama might deflect that hatred on the brand.
    Not a good proposition.

    As far as adverts, I don't think I remember seeing purely commercial adverts from the POTUS.

    Best that can happen are subtle product placement, like on the Time magazine article where the 9900 was sitting on his desk in the Oval Office next to a "Top Secret" folder.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
    Thanked by 3:
    Blacklatino (01-07-2013),  ibpluto (01-06-2013),  travaz (01-06-2013) 
  9. NateFulton2010's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    37 Posts
    PIN
    32FB6072
    #9  

    Default

    Everyone is going to read into it differently, however, we know the POTUS has had history using a BB device because of the keyboard and awesome security features. While I also agree it wouldn't be appropriate for him to directly endorse BlackBerry through advertisements, I think it would speak volumes by itself if he was just captured using one when he is out and about. Besides if it is secure enough for the POTUS then it must be good enough for me.
    -Nate
  10. Xopher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,053 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,722 Global Posts
    PIN
    BBM & Kik (ask)
    #10  

    Default Re: What if RIM had Barack Obama at the Launch Event?

    Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post
    If he shows up and appears to back BB in any way in a commercial manner, the GOP and Tea Party will go insane tearing him apart. Additionally, they will associate the brand to Obama, and if anyone thinks the phone wars are intense, that's nothing in comparison to the negative press BB will get just by mere association.
    In other words, 53% will see nothing wrong or will be neutral, and the remaining 47% who is rabid anti Obama might deflect that hatred on the brand.
    Not a good proposition.

    As far as adverts, I don't think I remember seeing purely commercial adverts from the POTUS.

    Best that can happen are subtle product placement, like on the Time magazine article where the 9900 was sitting on his desk in the Oval Office next to a "Top Secret" folder.
    Plus, it would kill his whole third term election campaign... j/k.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory game for PlayBook & BB10, now "Built for BlackBerry".
    Thanked by 2:
    Blacklatino (01-07-2013),  qbnkelt (01-06-2013) 
    qbnkelt likes this.
  11. FRG_RC's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    178 Posts
    PIN
    Maybe you should ask for it
    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post
    If he shows up and appears to back BB in any way in a commercial manner, the GOP and Tea Party will go insane tearing him apart. Additionally, they will associate the brand to Obama, and if anyone thinks the phone wars are intense, that's nothing in comparison to the negative press BB will get just by mere association.
    In other words, 53% will see nothing wrong or will be neutral, and the remaining 47% who is rabid anti Obama might deflect that hatred on the brand.
    Not a good proposition.

    As far as adverts, I don't think I remember seeing purely commercial adverts from the POTUS.

    Best that can happen are subtle product placement, like on the Time magazine article where the 9900 was sitting on his desk in the Oval Office next to a "Top Secret" folder.
    This.

    And aslo that post should have been the end of this thread.
  12. #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xopher View Post
    Plus, it would kill his whole third term election campaign... j/k.
    hehehehehe.....that dangnabbitted Roosevelt third adminstration.....
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
  13. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,431 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #13  

    Default

    Worst idea ever, RIM should stay away from politics. Providing them with secure phones should be as far as they should go.
    jegs2 and BB12MX like this.
  14. silversun10's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,283 Posts
    #14  

    Default

    you don't want to throw away 47%(Romney voters) of the potential buyers in the US....
    Thanked by:
    Tim-ANC (01-06-2013) 
    jegs2 and mcmolineux like this.
  15. BBThemes's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,368 Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post
    If he shows up and appears to back BB in any way in a commercial manner, the GOP and Tea Party will go insane tearing him apart. Additionally, they will associate the brand to Obama, and if anyone thinks the phone wars are intense, that's nothing in comparison to the negative press BB will get just by mere association.
    In other words, 53% will see nothing wrong or will be neutral, and the remaining 47% who is rabid anti Obama might deflect that hatred on the brand.
    Not a good proposition.

    As far as adverts, I don't think I remember seeing purely commercial adverts from the POTUS.

    Best that can happen are subtle product placement, like on the Time magazine article where the 9900 was sitting on his desk in the Oval Office next to a "Top Secret" folder.
    i know its a silly arguement, and i agree with your main points (and bla1ze`s point of never mix with politics) but your % are well off. BB is a GLOBAL brand, the % you gave are US only.

    Thorsten said ZED 10. deal with it
    My Apps in BlackBerry World
    My Platinum 9900


    For all my themes - BBThemes.co.uk and follow me on @BBThemes1
  16. silversun10's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,283 Posts
    #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBThemes View Post
    i know its a silly arguement, and i agree with your main points (and bla1ze`s point of never mix with politics) but your % are well off. BB is a GLOBAL brand, the % you gave are US only.
    yes, but on its comeback attempt in the US, RIM cannot afford to turn off 47% of the US....
    jegs2 likes this.
  17. #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBThemes View Post
    i know its a silly arguement, and i agree with your main points (and bla1ze`s point of never mix with politics) but your % are well off. BB is a GLOBAL brand, the % you gave are US only.
    I was specifically speaking of the U.S. as Obama is the POTUS and the person named. The GOP and the Tea Party are clearly U.S.. parties therefore I was specifically addressing U.S. political consequences of an Obama endorsement. Had Cameron been mentioned I would have addressed UK political consequences.

    I do not attempt to address geopolitical trends; that conversation would, by its very nature, take a breadth that would not lend itself to discussion in this forum.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
    jegs2 likes this.
  18. LazyEvul's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,771 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,781 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default

    There are two things you never discuss in good company: religion and politics. Similarly, either one is a slippery slope to use in advertising.
    Z30 (10.2.1.2947) | Lumia 1020 (WP8.1 Dev Preview, Lumia Black) | Nexus 4 (Android 4.4.2)
    Thanked by:
    jegs2 (01-06-2013) 
  19. #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LazyEvul View Post
    There are two things you never discuss in good company: religion and politics. Similarly, either one is a slippery slope to use in advertising.
    Ma? DA?!!? IS THAT YOU?!?!?!!?!?
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
  20. LoganSix's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    995 Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Maybe if the President decided to give away BB phones to all those new welfare recipients he's created in the past 4 years, then it would be hit. Just like in Detroit, when they lined up for "Obama Bucks". It's not like he cares about disrespecting the office, since he went on ESPN to give his March Madness picks. Maybe he can do an executive order declaring that every American should be required to buy a BB10 phone, regardless if they already have a phone or not.
    mrrsquared79 and jegs2 like this.
  21. #21  

    Default

    I'd probably run out and buy an iPhone.
    Ed

    Be bold. Be pantless. Then go take a nice long nap.
    Thanked by:
    qbnkelt (01-06-2013) 
  22. #22  

    Default Re: What if RIM had Barack Obama at the Launch Event?

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepngbear View Post
    I'd probably run out and buy an iPhone.
    YOU?!?

    -the world would end baby!!!!!!!!!!!

    Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
    jakie55 and Toodeurep like this.
  23. silversun10's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,283 Posts
    #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LoganSix View Post
    Maybe if the President decided to give away BB phones to all those new welfare recipients he's created in the past 4 years, then it would be hit. Just like in Detroit, when they lined up for "Obama Bucks". It's not like he cares about disrespecting the office, since he went on ESPN to give his March Madness picks. Maybe he can do an executive order declaring that every American should be required to buy a BB10 phone, regardless if they already have a phone or not.
    nothing like it to get Republicans going than by mentioning Obama, now you know why it was a bad idea
    Thanked by:
    rotorwrench (01-06-2013) 
    randall2580 likes this.
  24. collinc93's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    676 Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LoganSix View Post
    Maybe if the President decided to give away BB phones to all those new welfare recipients he's created in the past 4 years, then it would be hit. Just like in Detroit, when they lined up for "Obama Bucks". It's not like he cares about disrespecting the office, since he went on ESPN to give his March Madness picks. Maybe he can do an executive order declaring that every American should be required to buy a BB10 phone, regardless if they already have a phone or not.
    When crap like this start showing up then its time to go. I am not an American and even I can tell that you are a watcher Fox News....still..nah its best to leave you in your ignorant bliss...next!!
    Blacklatino and TITOMAN357 like this.
  25. skyrocket9's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,015 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,023 Global Posts
    #25  

    Default What if RIM had Barack Obama at the Launch Event?

    You want a device do succeed because it has innovative and demanding technology and specifications which meet or surpass competitors.

    If you need a president to hold a device to get it to sell then there are major problems with it and the brand.

    Hopefully this isn't the case, I think blackberry can sell its self.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    BB12MX (01-07-2013) 
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. If RIM had the $$ I think Waze would be a good Navigation App for them to buy
    By bbpandy in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-09-2012, 08:41 PM
  2. What if Blackberry fails to deliver at the conference?
    By blackhawksfan75 in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-30-2012, 07:45 PM
  3. What if RIM only made one blackberry for all providers
    By jmb320 in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-12-2010, 06:53 AM
  4. What If RIM went out of Business...
    By thymaster in forum Rehab & Off-Topic Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-20-2010, 09:54 AM
  5. New Idea! What if we could have android on the storm?
    By spafford.ronald in forum Storm OS Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-02-2009, 02:40 AM

Posting Permissions