Assuming a flawless experience, would that close the App Gap?
    Once BlackBerry gains market share they would have better leverage with developers to go native.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-13 10:38 PM
    I've found the Android runtime to be better than some android devices I've used. It isn't as good as the Galaxy S3/4 or the Nexus, but it's better than most low to mid android phones I've played with.
    06-24-13 10:40 PM
    What if they bring it at par with s4 or nexus...would that be it
    ..do we have a perfect winner than?

Posted via CB10
    06-24-13 10:42 PM
    no because its still just a runtime. its not an android.device
    06-24-13 10:47 PM
    no because its still just a runtime. its not an android.device
    But it's android that's been rewritten to run on the QNX kernel rather than a Linux kernel.

The bigger problem here is that bb10 is already using at least several hundred mb of ram and processing power, so the available specs for running Android apps isn't high enough to match high end Android devices.
    h20work likes this.
    06-24-13 10:50 PM
    But it's android that's been rewritten to run on the QNX kernel rather than a Linux kernel.

The bigger problem here is that bb10 is already using at least several hundred mb of ram and processing power, so the available specs for running Android apps isn't high enough to match high end Android devices.
    Maybe that can be solved with Quad Core on A10?

Posted via CB10
    06-24-13 10:51 PM
    The Android apps will actually need to be ported and put up into BlackBerry World. In addition to the somewhat grey area of sideloading, your average user doesn't know how to convert or sideload, they just know to go to the platform app market for their apps. Those ported apps in BlackBerry World will also need to be updated as frequently as their Google Play counterparts are.

I've found that the ports and sideloads I have on my Z10 don't run quite as well as the versions I have on my Nexus 7. They're not absolutely horrible, but they're are prone to a little stuttering and lag where none exists on the native Android version. I'm not sure that they can be perfect...I've yet to come across any runtime or emulator run as well as a native OS and device.
    06-24-13 10:53 PM
    Maybe that can be solved with Quad Core on A10?

Posted via CB10
    Except by then Android devices with have octo core although whether they'll need that is an argument I'd be happen to have.

Fact is, not having to develop Android gives device manufacturers a huge benefit in competing for price. BlackBerry not only builds an OS, they also rewrite a large portion of Android to run in QNX.

That being said, you don't NEED (IMO) more than about the specs of the Z10 to run Android as well as any reasonable person needs to run it. Z10 works well enough for me for running Android apps, A will probably be better.
    06-24-13 10:57 PM
    Its not just apps though. There are things like widgets that i use, the theming and customization. Sure having all the apps i need are great but there is still an experience that the runtime cannot match
    06-24-13 10:58 PM
    Its not just apps though. There are things like widgets that i use, the theming and customization. Sure having all the apps i need are great but there is still an experience that the runtime cannot match
    Absolutely! I would love to have widgets like I have on my Nook on my Z10. There's pros to Android as well. But the OPs question was just about the app gap and Android app performance
    06-24-13 11:03 PM
    I think my N7 homescreen changes every other day....and I haven't even rooted the thing yet!
    06-24-13 11:08 PM
    Absolutely! I would love to have widgets like I have on my Nook on my Z10. There's pros to Android as well. But the OPs question was just about the app gap and Android app performance
    The whole strategy seems to be platform independent for BlackBerry... BES 10 supporting iphone and Android devices...QNX in car supporting Android and iOS....BBM going cross platform....then smartphone being an extention of the business model should support Android Apps as good as Android

Posted via CB10
    06-24-13 11:09 PM
    Except by then Android devices with have octo core although whether they'll need that is an argument I'd be happen to have.

Fact is, not having to develop Android gives device manufacturers a huge benefit in competing for price. BlackBerry not only builds an OS, they also rewrite a large portion of Android to run in QNX.

That being said, you don't NEED (IMO) more than about the specs of the Z10 to run Android as well as any reasonable person needs to run it. Z10 works well enough for me for running Android apps, A will probably be better.
    The current implementation of "octo" core is merely one set of 4 cores for light processing and another beefier set for heavy duty work. It's still 4 at a time.

However, BBRY better not let their schedules slide until phones are actually running 8 cores at a time...
    06-24-13 11:35 PM
    Every time talks about kernels happen i always picture this... i can't be the only one.

What if Java run time update was good as Android and you have all Android Apps avaliable on BlackBer-1.jpg
    06-25-13 01:48 AM