In many threads, we discuss about the distribution of current/next BB10 devices.
    When it comes to direct sales, the argumentation often turns to the carriers support.

Given that M. Chen announced that BlackBerry will now quit the "proprietary device maker with attached services" scenario in favor of a more "horizontal cross platform and services oriented" one and the worldwide (600+ connected carriers) existing network architecture (NOC), what would prevent them to go for it ?

Of course, you'll nail the infrastructure (antennas) problem/cost. But I'm sure they could partner (in France we have a low-cost-growing-fast company : Free, which "rents" Orange network).

Add a pinch of encryption/compression (private blink to the BIS worshipers) and free BBM time anywhere ...
    Do we have a winner here ?

What do you think ?

P.S: stay cool, this is only an early Monday thought
    01-20-14 05:12 AM
    Wow you always come up with some ideas!!!! Interesting thought. Can they manage the cash for the initial investment?
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-20-14 05:37 AM
    Wow you always come up with some ideas!!!! Interesting thought. Can they manage the cash for the initial investment?
    Thanks
    well, there's so many options available ...
    Then could choose to go alone, partner or co-brand the service ... go for it in selected countries only ...
    If I refer to apple's case, it is certainly not as easy as it may sound, of course !
    01-20-14 05:51 AM
    Can you imagine the luxury of being able to release an update on your own terms and not have to wait????? That would be fantastic.
    Superfly_FR and ghundiraj like this.
    01-20-14 06:08 AM
    Can you imagine the luxury of being able to release an update on your own terms and not have to wait????? That would be fantastic.
    100% secure - carrier and NSA free - united network ...
    #resistance !
    01-20-14 06:15 AM
    Crowd funding!
    I would drop my tax return on that

Posted from BitPusher's Q10
    01-20-14 06:48 AM
    Although my opinion means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of themes, Superfly_FR, that would be a totally awesome idea for BB to look into if they have not or are not already.

And Qbnkelt, I agree totally, awesome to be able to release an OS update on their schedule.

Wish Canada would beta test something like that, should not be too terribly hard to startup with Gov funding.

I for one would be right there in line to hand over my credit card to startup service with them.
    Superfly_FR and rizdragon like this.
    01-20-14 08:23 AM
    So, what does Blackberry offer to the carrier they want to partner with?
    01-20-14 08:41 AM
    If BlackBerry could be it's own carrier, that would be awesome! I think this is an idea for the future as the company, IMO, isn't positioned to pull this off just yet. Either way, i'd love to have BlackBerry as my carrier.

Posted via Q10
    Gad Lawoey1 and Superfly_FR like this.
    01-20-14 08:51 AM
    The problem with the MNVO route (using another carriers network as your own), is that the margins are razor thin, and they can always get you in the end if you get too big. It is much line the CLEC times in the late 90's and early 2000's where big telecom networks had to allow startups to use their infrastructure. I know people that were told by salesmen to intentionally take circuits down because they were scheduled the next day for a sales call. Same thing could happen in MNVO and then it's a finger pointing game and in the end the customer is who gets hurt. Not saying it would happen, but without your own Network you are not in control and it could happen.

The other issue I see here is that this is BlackBerry we are talking about. The company that can't walk and chew gum at the same time, can't focus on a tablet and a phone at the same time even though they were supposed to use the same OS at some point. Couldn't get BES10 enterprise ready for the BB10 launch event, or even the phone OS ready for the launch. Chen hasn't been there long enough, or axed enough of the poor corporate culture out yet to allow the company to undertake a major venture like this.

I see people on here that state that BlackBerry can't put any effort into small things like home automation, a BlackBerry TV box, a personal BES home router, smartwatch, (all of which I think are needed to get them beyond phones). All small things that would be easy and cheap to implement. I fail to see how if these things are not possible, that creating a global MNVO is possible. Plus Chen is assembling software people to run the company, not carrier people.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 09:37 AM
    I remember a very good thread by wout00 about this topic, I'll dig and post a link here.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-20-14 09:51 AM
    01-20-14 09:55 AM
    I will sign up in a heartbeat. As long as there is adequate coverage.

BB Uniq BB Bold -Z10 with 1925
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-20-14 09:55 AM
    Wasn't BlackBerry supposed to be the carrier for all of china or some other country, but then that folded. They were supposed to pay for and maintain all the data servers and structure.

I'm sure this is a possibility, but I think it would need to be tested in a small developing market.

It might.work, but then BlackBerry would need much more staff

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 10:01 AM
    I remember a very good thread by wout00 about this topic, I'll dig and post a link here.
    Found it: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=857555

Section 4 is the relevant part, but a very fascinating original post/thread in entirety.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-20-14 10:04 AM
    So will this have coverage even in small towns? Or will it just be another carrier that may or may not work depending on your location?
    01-20-14 10:09 AM
    I posted this moons ago and there was lots of naysayers again, it's the only way to go, with most of the burden of inventory carry sent off to Foxconn, this is a very viable idea.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 02:48 PM
    Lmao, how can BB become a carrier without a network?
    01-20-14 03:05 PM
    There's a reason why there are very few new entries to this market.
    It's costs billions to build your infrastructure and the existing companies are amazing at keeping out competition.
    BlackBerry had a tough enough time moving units through existing carriers, why would being their own change this?
    Being a carrier does not magically create demand for a product.
    01-20-14 03:12 PM
    I dunno. Being a carrier seems to mean a ton of marketing. In addition to advertising their name everywhere I look including some of the major stadiums, TV ads, etc., AT&T seems to send me something in the mail every other day - and I'm already an AT&T wireless customer. Blackberry can't even afford to market their new phones.
    01-20-14 03:12 PM
    So will this have coverage even in small towns? Or will it just be another carrier that may or may not work depending on your location?
    They could do something like Republic Wireless, where WiFi is the primary network, and cellular (which is where RW is an MVNO) is the fallback. For the MVNO end, throw in a little bit of region-dictated Straight Talk (i.e. MVNO agreements will all the Big Four,) and you could basically have nationwide coverage. It won't be cheap, though.
    01-20-14 03:25 PM
    Lmao, how can BB become a carrier without a network?
    Develop or buy...

Posted via Q10
    01-20-14 03:27 PM
    Develop or buy...
    Neither of which is cheap.
    01-20-14 03:29 PM
    Develop or buy...

Posted via Q10
    Globally? You can't really develop a new one anyway, the frequencies were auctioned off long time ago.
    01-20-14 03:40 PM
    Globally? You can't really develop a new one anyway, the frequencies were auctioned off long time ago.
    There is an upcoming auction in Canada so no, not all frequencies are gobbled up. I highly doubt they'd take part and even if they did, the big three here would outbid easily.
    01-20-14 03:55 PM
35 12