10 is a complete re-architecture of mobile paradigms previously unseen anywhere.
    No - because if that was the case it wouldn't be a slab touchscreen phone, it would be... well I have no idea what it would be... that's the whole point.
    11-19-12 03:54 PM
    No - because if that was the case it wouldn't be a slab touchscreen phone, it would be... well I have no idea what it would be... that's the whole point.
    Thought screen technology? haha
    11-19-12 04:37 PM
    Thought screen technology? haha
    Microchip with LTE, Blutooth 89.2, AFC (any field communication), 6ghz oct-core processor and wifi abgn implanted directly into the human brain!

No longer BlackBerry by choice, but BlackBerry by design.
    11-19-12 04:48 PM
    Just to be clear, I believe in BB10 as much as everyone on the site. I think it is a great OS and has the power to propel Blackberry to be the number 3 option, and is a threat to Android. However, I, as all BB users & fans should be, am aware Blackberry sales in the US SUCK. Buisnesses are operating BYOD and consumers are leaving for flashier phones. But once again, I DO NOT want BB10 to bust.
    11-19-12 07:20 PM
    Just to be clear, I believe in BB10 as much as everyone on the site. I think it is a great OS and has the power to propel Blackberry to be the number 3 option, and is a threat to Android. However, I, as all BB users & fans should be, am aware Blackberry sales in the US SUCK. Buisnesses are operating BYOD and consumers are leaving for flashier phones. But once again, I DO NOT want BB10 to bust.
    You realize that you're not pointing out anything that the executive at RIM isn't already very much aware of, right?

And btw, RIM could conceivably go on fairly well without the US market at all; they're experiencing most of their growth in Africa and Asia right now, and Europe remains a respectable market for them. Once they get their cost-cutting out of the way, they could probably continue on indefinitely.

That said, obviously it would be fantastic if RIM could recover lost share in the US market. That isn't going to happen overnight, but if they manage the BB10 launch well, who's to say they can't succeed?
    11-19-12 07:27 PM
    I didn't find the post from the OP negative, it's just a "what if" scenario. For me, if BB10 is a bust then I will buy two Bold 9900s and call it an day.
    11-19-12 07:43 PM
    Two words! NO WAY! Not gonna happen. This phone is the most hyped up BB I think to date. I really don't think it is going to be hype and nothing more. This is some serious business here, and is going to attract a lot of attention. For whatever it's worth, I stopped in my local Verizon store to pay my bill the other day, and for a staff that was so anti BB for the past few years, they were singing a different song the when I was there. All pretty much saying that they can't wait until it's release as well, and most of the reps there were rocking Android, so that told me a lot right there
    11-19-12 08:48 PM
    LOL. I can believe it.

If BB10 fails, us BB fans will be quite dissapointed. But, if anything, it will fail because of still stagnant misconceptions in the general public from previous failures and biased media reporting. It will come down to the true readiness of BB10 at launch and intense advertising and hype. Aiming for a larger market share against Apple and Android devices would require BB10 to be near perfect with the majority of popular apps available on app world. Makes it hard to stay positive until it's in the hands of customers, it performs as promised and they are happy with it. I'll try and stay positive and spread the love as much as I can until then.
    11-19-12 09:04 PM
    I checked out video of bb10 in action at the BB jam dev conference and was
    Really impressed, except I noticed a few times when the phone was
    Unresponsive to swiping jesture.
    I just shrugged it off but noticed that another poster commented on it also.
    I hope this is no big deal now but this phone better come out bug free right from the
    Get go or the press will have a field day on rim.
    Did anyone else see the glitch?
    Is it no big deal since they would have had 4 months to perfect the product.
    11-19-12 09:17 PM
    I checked out video of bb10 in action at the BB jam dev conference and was
    Really impressed, except I noticed a few times when the phone was
    Unresponsive to swiping jesture.
    I just shrugged it off but noticed that another poster commented on it also.
    I hope this is no big deal now but this phone better come out bug free right from the
    Get go or the press will have a field day on rim.
    Did anyone else see the glitch?
    Is it no big deal since they would have had 4 months to perfect the product.
    Bla1ze said that the swiping glitch was related to the bezel on the dev alpha phone and would likely not be an issue on production devices.

If BB10 fails, not much will happen. If the company can't survive, it'll be broken up and sold. In the bigger picture though, the sun will still come up in the morning and set in the evening.
    11-19-12 09:38 PM
    I know all of us hope BB10 is a success, but what if it is a bust. What does that mean for RIM and the future of Blackberry? My guess is a purchase by Samsung or some other company. What do you guys think?
    This has been raised before. Most likely RIM would stop making phones and continue providing their BIS services.

Stock price wise, it could be a double dip but I think RIM are on the right track at the moment. If i remember correctly there were rumours of facebook or google buying RIM...cringe.
    11-20-12 06:33 AM
    We'll cross that bridge when we get there.
    daveycrocket likes this.
    11-20-12 06:38 AM
    I know all of us hope BB10 is a success, but what if it is a bust. What does that mean for RIM and the future of Blackberry? My guess is a purchase by Samsung or some other company. What do you guys think?
    On the eve of a wedding do you sit with your spouse to be and say "what if this marriage is a bust?" "What does that mean for my future and your future?" "My guess is that either one of us will find someone else or roam the planet by ourselves."

Seriously...I know it feels like a long time until launch but could you come up with a better topic than that? I could think of a few for you...:thumbdown:
    daveycrocket likes this.
    11-20-12 06:49 AM
    Look at BlackBerry 10. The caliber of innovation and thought that has gone into flow, design and function is unmatched by any of the competitors. BlackBerry 10 is a complete re-architecture of mobile paradigms previously unseen anywhere. This super phone is for adults.

Have you seen the beauty of the phone screen?

Time marker 0:13

BlackBerry 10 will feel natural to use and interact with. It will be like an extension of your own hand. No buttons. No abrupt movements. Swipe in and out. Flow. Peek. Decide. Notifications and important communications streamed in REAL-TIME to The BlackBerry Hub. The classic led indicator we've all come to know and love, right there. I can go on and on. Speed and being able to perform at a higher-level than most. This super phone is designed for people.

BlackBerry 10 will be released very shorty. Get ready.

WebOS was similarly awesome looking. We all know how that turned out.

We all know how awesome BB10 should be. We all know how nice it looks. We're not discussing that in this topic here...we're discussing SALES. All that 'designed for people' spiel doesn't have any bearing with sales.

Just keep your fingers crossed that RIM's marketing will do a good job, that the early software is stable, bug free and is in enough stock to sell. Hope the hardware is top notch with relatively few issues.
    lord of the flies likes this.
    11-20-12 07:17 AM
    ThundBuck
    RIM is not interested in selling all or even an equity stake or even licensing BB10. The only license deal they are interested in is for content. The whole posibility of licensing BB10 was a sham, it was for the investment market/analyst to shut them up
    11-20-12 10:23 AM
    I don't think that BB10 could fail, not even a single of my hair. But if BB10 fails to raise up RIM from it's fall, I will move on with others platform since my needs is always connecting with the internet, especially for emails.

I am a Blackberry fan and I will do what I can do to make what I love, Blackberry 10, to be known, famous, and most smartphone sold at least for people around me.
    11-20-12 10:57 AM
    First, I don't believe BB10 will be a bust or failure or D.O.A. as it has a captive QWERTY audience and a compelling full-touch device to start gaining back market share.

That said, if BB10 is a bust, we can assume that RIM is finished. It may indeed continue to sell low-margin phones and see growth in Africa/Asia-Pac but it will be non-existent in the North American/UK.

In a typically pessimistic at Gizmodo it was said that RIM "should die" so that its competitors can reap the benefits of its patent portfolio and services. Honestly, if killer functions like the new virtual keyboard, peek-flow, and BBM go to iOS, I'm there. That goes double if it winds up on Android or WP8 since I need "real" file management, not iTunes, not a jailbreak or third party workaround.
    11-20-12 01:36 PM
    I don't think that BB/RIM is going to fail or will the company disappear for these reasons, :
    1) BB users are using old phones and are waiting for BB10 to come out and based on what I've seen BB10 will meet the needs of most users. I would not be surprised to see 10 million BB10 devices sold in the US alone in 2013.
    2) The US market doesn't dictate the success or failure of BB or RIM. There are no import issuses for BB devices anywhere in the world so they can sell everywhere. Also in most of the world the leading smart phone by far is BB devices.
    3) QNX. QNX is used everywhere in critical industries where OS failures are not allowed. QNX is a fully functioning and money making portion of BB/RIM that will continue to bring revenue to BB. There are other directions BB can go if smart phones don't pan out. The Tesla vehicles are powered by QNX and with BB services they performed the first OTA software update of any car.
    BB/RIM is been busy behind the scenes getting things done and opening doors for their company to grow and move into new markets.

If BB fails that would be terrible for all consumers. However, don't count BB out the Fat Lady hasn't even got on stage.
    DJM626 likes this.
    11-20-12 01:37 PM
    What if BB10 is a big big bust?-cleavage.jpg

Then I will enjoy this big big bust.
    11-20-12 01:42 PM
    I will survive

11-20-12 01:43 PM
    Samsung has expressed absolutely ZERO interest in either buying RIM, investing in an equity stake, or licensing BB10. Amazon has expressed interest, as has Microsoft. Either of them might come to the table. I've long believed that RIM could convince MS to take a big equity chunk if RIM ditched its own system software and became a Windows Phone shop.
    None of us know what conversations have been had or what was said or how they went. Companies (especially public ones) don't talk much about M&A discussions because of the material impacts to the company.
    11-20-12 01:46 PM
    ThundBuck
    RIM is not interested in selling all or even an equity stake or even licensing BB10. The only license deal they are interested in is for content. The whole posibility of licensing BB10 was a sham, it was for the investment market/analyst to shut them up
    Heins has repeatedly stated a desire to license BB10. If you're suggesting this is just a "sham" I'd like to know what you base that on.

As for selling an equity stake, if BB10 doesn't sell well RIM would have little choice. My favorite scenario would have a large "white knight" come in and take a 20-40% stake, and to me the most likely candidate would be Microsoft. Under such a scenario, BB10 might remain in production, but we'd quickly see Windows Phones get BIS access. Would be a huge win-win.

Personally, I'd much prefer that BB10 succeed and RIM remain an independent going concern, but I see this as a viable fall-back position.
    11-20-12 02:22 PM
    Cautiously optimistic?
    11-20-12 02:30 PM
    from what I've been reading, BB10 is going to be revolutionary not just as far as BlackBerries go, but as far as mobile technology as a whole. I predict a major win for RIM.
    11-20-12 03:15 PM
    If BB10 fails, blackberry will definitely become a shell of its former self. They may abandon the high to mid tier phone market and focus its efforts elsewhere. Definitely will see a decrease in consumer produtcts.
    11-20-12 04:27 PM
69 123