OK, I admit I'm not the smartest guy on the block, but just what the heck is Chen thinking.

BlackBerry CEO hints at dropping handset business if profitability isn't there | ZDNet

If you want to inspire someone to buy your product, why would you come out and even hint that you might just quit making them? I have almost every blackberry phone they put out since BB10, but I'm done. Either Chen is an *****, or he really wants out of the handset business. NO CEO comes out and talks about dropping their product just before you release a new one. Looking from the outside, I see nothing that would entice me to buy a blackberry again. Really John?

And he wonders why no one is buying his product.
    Tatwi, lift, FF22 and 9 others like this.
    10-08-15 05:54 PM
    It's quite obvious that JC is just a numbers guy. He doesn't know much about Tech. He's just a regular CEO that's playing the numbers game.

Nothing against him though.
    10-08-15 06:24 PM
    He doesn't really under BlackBerry brand at all. He was hired to make investors happy and make himself millions. But right now anyone can do a better job than him. Going android will not save BlackBerry. Only way to save BlackBerry and BlackBerry 10 is sell the company. Every quarter goes by BlackBerry is sinking further with Chen in control. He has done nothing to give the BlackBerry brand. Now he is selling out to Android.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 06:26 PM
    The guy is weird. Always using "I" as if he is the only guy who thinks in the company and saying things like that. I think he wants to gain credibility by being strain and truthful. After all, everybody knows that you can't keep a business line that is loosing ground for ever... he is simply realistic.

Can't beat them, join them.
    I think the Android move is a smart one. The mass don't care about BB10 but they will love the keyboard. And that it is captative so you can play games without putting your finger on the game play. It's a second market. A phone and a OS for the mass aside their current line of products that will truly be aimed at ppl who don't care about apps and games.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 06:34 PM
    The brand was damaged way before Chen took over.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 06:38 PM
    Maybe he doesn't want to pump BBRY stock up while the board of directors is instructing him to keep buying back stock....just a thought
    Carjackd and bungaboy like this.
    10-08-15 06:39 PM
    The guy is weird. Always using "I" as if he is the only guy who thinks in the company and saying things like that. I think he wants to gain credibility by being strain and truthful. After all, everybody knows that you can't keep a business line that is loosing ground for ever... he is simply realistic.

Can't beat them, join them.
    I think the Android move is a smart one. The mass don't care about BB10 but they will love the keyboard. And that it is captative so you can play games without putting your finger on the game play. It's a second market. A phone and a OS for the mass aside their current line of products that will truly be aimed at ppl who don't care about apps and games.

Posted via CB10
    That's the problem. You may not care about games and apps, but apps are becoming more a part of people's jobs, and they aren't available for BB10. There are lots of posts on here by lawyers, engineers, doctors, researchers, construction workers, etc. that now need certain apps to aid their jobs and increase productivity. The keyboard, Hub, etc. are great but no longer enough. And most people don't have time to tinker with sideloading or hoping they get full functionality from an apk.

Posted via CB10
    MikeX74 and david7saad like this.
    10-08-15 06:46 PM
    True Emaderton3.
    So yeah, they have to go Android.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 06:52 PM
    He is an American operative sent by the CIA and a highly secret US phone cabal, including Google, Apple and Microsoft, to finish off a once iconic Canadian brand.

It is well-deserved retaliation for Justin Bieber, Celine Dion & Avril Lavigne.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 06:55 PM
    He is an American operative sent by the CIA and a highly secret US phone cabal, including Google, Apple and Microsoft, to finish off a once iconic Canadian brand.

Posted via CB10
    Don't be silly... Chen is not a CIA operative... Clearly he's a Masonic elder... Disney. Wells Fargo. CFR. Committee of 100. Once a George W. Bush appointee... I mean 'Hello Illuminati'... The Global Elite's plan coming full circle...

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 07:38 PM

Posted via CB10
    Hahahaahaha

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 07:47 PM
    The leadership both past and present, the company, has obviously lost its way. There is no vision anymore, no plan...it's obviously in desperation.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 07:48 PM
    OK, I admit I'm not the smartest guy on the block, but just what the heck is Chen thinking.

BlackBerry CEO hints at dropping handset business if profitability isn't there | ZDNet

If you want to inspire someone to buy your product, why would you come out and even hint that you might just quit making them? I have almost every blackberry phone they put out since BB10, but I'm done. Either Chen is an *****, or he really wants out of the handset business. NO CEO comes out and talks about dropping their product just before you release a new one. Looking from the outside, I see nothing that would entice me to buy a blackberry again. Really John?

And he wonders why no one is buying his product.
    I agree completely.

For the record, I'm done. I just switched over to my wife's old HTC One Mini, as she recently upgraded to an LG G4. Bye, bye Z10/Q10 and Blackberry...

The One Mini is still a wicked phone for me, as a person who prefers a smaller mobile. Sexy case, great speakers, excellent camera, nice screen, heavily customizable UI... Free! Why would I waste money on a BB Perv or stick around with (the clearly dead) BB10? Slider? Do not want. Android? So many others do it too...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-08-15 08:07 PM
    Also:

My wife and dropped BBM too, because the new Android UI is THAT bad. Sad, because I liked the version I had on my Z10, but not enough to keep using the Z10. My wife only used bbm because I did...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-08-15 08:10 PM
    The leadership both past and present, the company, has obviously lost its way. There is no vision anymore, no plan...it's obviously in desperation.

Posted via CB10
    There is a plan. But it's not focused on mobile hardware. BlackBerry is so much more than phones now.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 08:11 PM
    If you would have listened to the interview, he said he may have to drop the handset side IF it can't become profitable which is a reasonable observation by any CEO who has to look at the bottom line.

I think going the Android route with security is the smart move and just might sell enough units to keep the handset side going, but at least he is going to give the Android device a chance.

Let's face reality here folks, the OS10 and previous handset sales have been decreasing for a long time and long before Chen took over the helm.

I think Blackberry acquiring Good and some of the recent security related companies they have bought will ensure their survival into the future.

I would much rather have an Android Blackberry then nothing at all! Just my two cents.
    10-08-15 08:12 PM
    Really has nothing to do with BB10 or android. I agree at this point, BB10 is done. Where do you go from here to get developers? Stick a fork in it. He does have little choice but to go the android route.

My point is, just a month or so before you release a phone that's supposed to save you handset division, you as a CEO, DO NOT come out and say buy this phone, but if it doesn't sell enough, we'll leave you stranded. We're really not confident enough in our handset division to firmly believe we'll be around for you for a long time. Be confident and buy our product cause we're here for you. No, he comes out and says if it doesn't sell, we're probably done. But buy our phone anyway.

I mean for what you're going to pay for this, you could buy an apple phone with great support and guaranteed updates for years. Seriously, why would a CEO even contemplate being so dumb as to come out in the press and say stupid stuff like he is/has?
    10-08-15 08:22 PM
    There are lots of posts on here by lawyers, engineers, doctors, researchers, construction workers, etc. that now need certain apps to aid their jobs and increase productivity

Posted via CB10
    And these people are doing this stuff on their phones? I know they made a lot of things for Android and Apple as it relates to their tablets (still baffles me why they just won't get an x86 tablet instead of tablets will apps that have probably 70% of the functionality) but what apps are doctors, engineers, and researchers using on their phone regarding work? Serious question.
    10-08-15 08:49 PM
    I hope Chen is the smartest guy on the block.
    10-08-15 08:58 PM
    If Chen's willing to abandon it, then why should we stick around?

Management failed BlackBerry. Everyone praise Heinz, then Chen. At least Heinz seemed to want to save bb10 whereas Chen could give a crap.

Sh'tty management achieves sh'tty results.

We plead with them to market the phones. They refused. We plead with them to go after the emerging markets and they failed.

The results....regular and steady decline is sales.

SAP is not consumer and that's what Chen is delivering. Thanks John.

Posted via CB10
    silversmith75 and BuryLancs like this.
    10-08-15 09:02 PM
    What he's thinking is that he was brought in to do a job. And it wasn't necessarily to sell devices, but to raise the profit margin and make money for the shareholders by any means necessary.

Device manufacturing requires raw materials, design and manufacturing, with people in those divisions to carry out the process. Where software design has less moving parts and overhead, equating to a larger profit margin.

You and I love BlackBerry devices running BlackBerry 10 software. He loves the fact that no matter what sells, as long as it sells, BlackBerry gets paid.

Posted via CB10
    heepman likes this.
    10-08-15 09:11 PM
    There is a plan. But it's not focused on mobile hardware. BlackBerry is so much more than phones now.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry has always been much more than phones. They are now just expanding to cross platforms. They clearly do not have a plan.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 09:46 PM
    And these people are doing this stuff on their phones? I know they made a lot of things for Android and Apple as it relates to their tablets (still baffles me why they just won't get an x86 tablet instead of tablets will apps that have probably 70% of the functionality) but what apps are doctors, engineers, and researchers using on their phone regarding work? Serious question.
    No engineer I know does serious detailed work on their phones. Emails, reviewing PDFS and other documents, Web browsing, etc. Of course. But for portable computing, note taking, or presentations it is still primarily laptops or sometimes tablets. Serious design work is on desktop computers with large monitors.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    10-08-15 11:34 PM
    I agree after this interview I realize BlackBerry handsets are done. Chen has slowly steadily driven the hand set market into the ground. And yet they can't figure out why. It is so obvious why no one is using the phones. Most people want high end, high spec, feature rich phones. they released bb10 late. When it did come the spec was on the late side. What Ever the phones had probably been sitting waiting to be released. I thought the next set will be the high end phones everyone wanted. Instead we get the passport weird looking. A niche phone at best. No problem. People seem to like them. The next phone that will be it. The z3 . Mmm same spec as the z10 from 2 years ago. Not really grabbing any ones attention. OK the next one for sure. Classic. The spec is still the same. Hopeful it gets some legacy users to upgrade. You seeing a trend here. They have yet to give a phone that would bring people. Every one says ooh it's the apps there are no apps. I think the apps would have come if the released a high end phone. The sales would not have been so abysmal. And getting worse. How many people bought into bb10 already. They are moving on as there is no upgrade option.

Posted via CB10
    BuryLancs likes this.
    10-09-15 12:00 AM
    Also:

My wife and dropped BBM too, because the new Android UI is THAT bad.
    Android is atrocious. It goes from bad to worse when Samsung and LG plaster their crap all over it.

BB10 is refreshing, clean and uncluttered. Google can shove "Material design" where the sun don't shine.
    lift, extisis and ThaSwapMeetPimp like this.
    10-09-15 12:36 AM
50 12