Honestly, I don't get it. It would make way more sense if Microsoft, Google or Samsung planned to buy BB. They can actually use the resources/patents BB has to offer unlike Fairfax. I really REALLY hope this deal fails.
    10-05-13 07:09 PM
    Honestly, I don't get it. It would make way more sense if Microsoft, Google or Samsung planned to buy BB. They can actually use the resources/patents BB has to offer unlike Fairfax. I really REALLY hope this deal fails.
    First of all, there's very good reason to believe the deal will fail, and the reasons it will fail are due to the fact that fairfax likely can't get funding to complete the deal because we're slowly learning that $9 is about twice what should really be paid for it. What I don't think you understand is that if the deal doesn't happen and nobody else makes a similar offer, then BlackBerry's worth is basically nothing overnight. If they can't get financed to sell at $9/share then the people left that would be interested will likely want to bid on parts of the company separately.

If you're a shareholder, the fairfax deal is not good for you and Google would be better. If you're a consumer wanting BlackBerry to stay alive, Fairfax is probably the only way that's going to happen. We're realizing now that BlackBerry will likely use up their remaining $2 billion in cash over the next few quarters. Others like Google know this as well, this will also probably keep Fairfax from getting the financing they need to secure the deal. To be honest the more I read the more impossible it seems that BlackBerry will get through this at all. It's not impossible, but it's well into the "improbable" by now. There isn't really an endgame that looks well for the consumer looking forward to the future of BlackBerry though. It's either going to be a near exit from hardware and a focus on enterprise, or a total chop job to all of the assets and BlackBerry disappearing entirely.
    propeller10 and PTZ like this.
    10-05-13 07:23 PM
    I wouldn't put too much stock on the patents, they are not as valuable as some members here have hoped for.

"However, Reuters notes that the value of BlackBerry�s patent portfolio and licensing agreements is diminishing rapidly � likely to halve over the next 18 months. Which may temper any interest there."

http://m.techcrunch.com/2013/10/05/w...lackberry-pie/
    10-05-13 09:38 PM
    Till fair fax actually has the money in hand the deal doesn't mean much. If they can't get the funding together it's dead in the water..
    10-05-13 09:45 PM
    I think they would try to develop the perfect business phone possible

My z10 is a Leafs fan
    10-05-13 09:54 PM
    Agree with Katiepea as much as I don't want too! At least it was a fun ride for me since rim began but I guess it's time to just use all my BlackBerry's til they die

Q10 10.2.0.1725 thanks BL Team
    10-05-13 10:05 PM