So everyone is who? All the people that just bought the new bolds? The people who buy the androids with keyboards? All those slider phones that are sold? Yes that sounds like everyone.
    Whether we want to accept it or not, the fact is that the hottest selling phones in N America are full touchscreen phones. We need to stop holding on to the past, we are starting to turn into the people that resisted the change from cassette to CD. For BB to turn it around it must progress.
    12-20-11 08:08 PM
    Not only do I think that RIM will not go under, even if they did, another company would likely buy up the servers to keep all those big companies running. The servers would never disappear overnight.
    12-20-11 08:41 PM
    RIM's here to stay. Investment bankers are crying. Do I care? No.
    Barljo likes this.
    12-20-11 08:56 PM
    Seeing that they're doing just fine in all other countries except North America, I'll have to just pack up and move to one of them.
    I live in Asia and am well travelled throughout Asia. From my observations, iOS is dominating over here EXCEPT in indonesia and thailand. The people in the booming giants of india and china still lust over apple products. RIM really only has a foothold in those 2 countries and that's why i feel that RIM's growth outside of NA is questionable.

i don't know what gives cb users the impression that rim is mega huge in asia.
    12-20-11 10:05 PM
    i feel that RIM's growth outside of NA is questionable.
    the figures given in the earnings call clearly show that even with losses in the american market they are adding net subscribers worldwide (apx 5million since devcon) so personally if you can add 5 million net (as in NEW customers) in a quarter, that to me is called growth.
    12-20-11 10:12 PM
    Whether we want to accept it or not, the fact is that the hottest selling phones in N America are full touchscreen phones. We need to stop holding on to the past, we are starting to turn into the people that resisted the change from cassette to CD. For BB to turn it around it must progress.
    A preference for a keyboard is not holding on to the past, it is a preference.
    Such as Honda is a preference over Toyota. Or Pepsi a preference over Coke.
    The argument that people who prefer a keyboard are holding on to the past is not made true simply by repeating it incessantly....I have both touchscreen and keyboard and I prefer to pound out quick messages on keyboards. I prefer to browse on touchscreen. It is a preference, not a symptom of being an old lonely isolated living under a rock curmudgeon.
    Danf, TgeekB and PTZ like this.
    12-20-11 10:14 PM
    I live in Asia and am well travelled throughout Asia. From my observations, iOS is dominating over here EXCEPT in indonesia and thailand. The people in the booming giants of india and china still lust over apple products. RIM really only has a foothold in those 2 countries and that's why i feel that RIM's growth outside of NA is questionable.

i don't know what gives cb users the impression that rim is mega huge in asia.
    Until RIM grasps a Quality touchscreen phone with Asian language support they wont be major players in all of Asia, but they have a chance with their low cost curve device

and they are making in roads in both India and China,

Asia has their biggest growth Potential,
    12-20-11 10:14 PM
    Havn't been following news about RIM lately, and this thread came as a bit of a shock to me. Already have decided to move to an iPhone next year, but i still do hope RIM makes a big come back.
    12-20-11 10:15 PM
    A preference for a keyboard is not holding on to the past, it is a preference.

... I prefer to pound out quick messages on keyboards I prefer to browse on touchscreen. It is a preference, not a symptom of being an old lonely isolated living under a rock curmudgeon.
    This. (Or maybe "these" as I quoted two bits of Qbn's post).
    12-21-11 03:38 AM
    Even if RIM never sold one more phone. Not one, the service revenue and their cash pile would keep them in business for three years. Honestly, although they are struggling in the U.S., their overseas business are going bonkers and doing very well.

If you don't want a BlackBerry then don't get one but if you do want one then don't worry about the company. They will be fine and even if they did go out it would take years and years.

Look at Palm, they were in debt for quite some time. RIM is absolutely not Palm. They are making a profit and they have a clear path to it. However, your question is very telling of the market reporting on RIM. If you live in the U.S. you probably wonder about it because it is how it is portrayed by the media.

I've never suggested buying shares of RIM but I can tell you that they will not go out of business. If you enjoy your BlackBerry like I do, then let the executive team worry about the share price and you just enjoy your awesome OS7 device IMO.

RIM is the only company I know that is still adding subscribers (75 million users world wide), making a ton of cash, adding to their cash line on the balance sheet (yes, only 80 million more after expenses but still quite a bit to add to their 1.4Billion in cash) whose viability is questioned.

RIM still has and probably always will have:
    The best security on smartphones.
    The best e-mail and messaging.
    The best physical keyboards.
    They continue to add new features such as BBM Music, BB Traffic with voice navigation (in Beta), BB Movies on the way, etc.

Don't let the turkeys scare you. It does not make sense. I don't own shares of RIM but I do love using the Bold 9930. IMO the absolute best smartphone out there for me.

Here is to RIM having a great 2012!
    if bb is doing so well overseas,then why is the stock tanking?north america is irrelevant now as a market for bb imo.
    12-21-11 07:43 AM
    if bb is doing so well overseas,then why is the stock tanking?north america is irrelevant now as a market for bb imo.
    Again, because stock prices are purely speculation and emotion, and driven by outside forces. They have little to nothing to do with reality, or the company's own monetary health.

And stock "analysts" (who seem to drive the prices more than anything else) are too closed minded and can't see the world beyond their front yard.

When will people understand this?
    Last edited by joeldf; 12-21-11 at 09:28 AM.
    12-21-11 09:23 AM
    Again, because stock prices are purely speculation and emotion, and driven by outside forces. They have little to nothing to do with reality, or the company's own monetary health. When will people understand this?
    Stock prices are extremely important. They determine the value of the company, the equity of the company and the company's ability to raise equity and debt to fund expansion and research and development. If the stock price went to ZERO,the company can't raise capital as easily.

Instead of raising funds off of their balance sheet, they would have to use the strength of their cash flow only. Not an optimal situation.
    Last edited by E92Vancouver; 12-21-11 at 09:31 AM.
    12-21-11 09:27 AM
    Uh, stock prices are extremely important. They determine the value of the company, the equity of the company and the company's ability to raise equity and debt to fund expansion and research and development. If the stock price went to ZERO,the company can't raise capital as easily.
    Half true

Stocks reflect some of a company's value, but public perception of a company has more affect on the stock price than the company's performance, Stocks are a personal thing you commit your money to them so you need to believe in them more than they need to be good, like Santa!

As long as a Company remains profitable and growing their stock value doesn't matter except for having to watch out for take overs, you are right, once that stock value collapses, they have a hard time leveraging money they don't have to expand.

The Stock Tanks in North America because it is traded in North America and North American public perception is that RIM is losing money, we know this not to be true, but that is the public perception, thus the low stock price,
    TgeekB likes this.
    12-21-11 09:32 AM
    I'm not too worried about RIM...my Torch broke so I went and bought a Samsung Focus with WP7, love the phone but I switched my sim to my old Bold 9000. I can't stay away long from BB, even if it's not the latest and greatest BB.
    12-21-11 09:32 AM
    The analyst should take overseas growth into account as well.NA isn't the only market in the world.
    12-21-11 09:55 AM
    The analyst should take overseas growth into account as well.NA isn't the only market in the world.
    No, but it's the most important market whether or not you want to accept or believe it.
    12-21-11 09:59 AM
    To North American investors the North American Market is the most important market in the world.
    12-21-11 10:07 AM
    Research in Motion isn't traded on any stock markets beside the Canadian and US.
    12-21-11 10:31 AM
    I'm not too worried about RIM...my Torch broke so I went and bought a Samsung Focus with WP7, love the phone but I switched my sim to my old Bold 9000. I can't stay away long from BB, even if it's not the latest and greatest BB.
    I borrowed the Samsung Focus for a week. I was very impressed. No apps though. That is going to be the issue.

I switch my SIM back and forth to amongst my Berry, Droids and sometimes my iphone.

I am really liking my new Samsung Galaxy Nexus though. Can't put it down. Been playing flight sim on it!
    12-21-11 11:05 AM
    I can pretty much guarantee that RIM goes under it will be bought by either a government, wireless carrier, or someone. BlackBerry as we know it will always be around, it's just a matter of who can run it.
    12-21-11 11:48 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD