After my upgrade I've told my daughter that she can have my old 9800 runnung OS6. There will be no SIM card, it will be wifi only. She has her own BBid because she has a PlayBook. Will she still be able to download apps from AppWorld? I know BBM won't work, as won't Whatsapp as it depends on a phone #. Are there any text/instant messaging services that will work for her? She's desperate to text/IM with her ipod touch owning friends. And please don't suggest buying her an apple product.
    01-25-13 05:23 PM
    The only thing i can think of off the top of my head is Twitter. As you've already stated whatsApp and others would require a phone number/sim etc.

Twitter would work on wifi and provide a good messaging service to other phones of your daughters friends.
    01-25-13 05:27 PM
    Buy her an iPod touch. There is nothing wrong with it, nor any other Apple products, with the exception of how iOS handles email attachments.
    dee. likes this.
    01-25-13 05:34 PM
    Dell Voice/Fongo? Any 3rd party VoIP service usually offers text messaging and should work for you wifi only with no sim. It will come with an active phone number though, in case that's an issue. There may be a couple of cross platform messaging apps available to you in App World that utilize a PIN as opposed to a phone number and should work via wifi only as well.
    01-25-13 06:16 PM
    pre-paid sim with an unlimited txt package?

EDIT: wait.. why won't BBM work? BBM works over wifi..
    01-25-13 06:20 PM
    pre-paid sim with an unlimited txt package?

EDIT: wait.. why won't BBM work? BBM works over wifi..
    It's my understanding it won't without BIS.
    01-25-13 06:37 PM
    Dell Voice/Fongo? Any 3rd party VoIP service usually offers text messaging and should work for you wifi only with no sim. It will come with an active phone number though, in case that's an issue. There may be a couple of cross platform messaging apps available to you in App World that utilize a PIN as opposed to a phone number and should work via wifi only as well.
    Do you know of any apps that work with your PIN?
    01-25-13 06:38 PM
    Do you know of any apps that work with your PIN?
    They won't work with your BlackBerry/BBM pin but, they are PIN based so they will assign you a PIN as opposed to relying on your existing phone number. This will enable them to work via wifi only without an active sim. I don't know any off the top of my head but, unless someone else here can help I will do some research when I get home and post what I find.
    jagrlover likes this.
    01-25-13 06:55 PM
    They won't work with your BlackBerry/BBM pin but, they are PIN based so they will assign you a PIN as opposed to relying on your existing phone number. This will enable them to work via wifi only without an active sim. I don't know any off the top of my head but, unless someone else here can help I will do some research when I get home and post what I find.

Would these apps have ringtones/notifiers? That's the problem with the PB, if she's not logged into GoogleChat for example, she doesn't know if she has any new messages.
    01-25-13 07:06 PM
    As to what happens after you upgrade? An angel gets her wings.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    01-25-13 07:10 PM
    As to what happens after you upgrade? An angel gets her wings.
    . She has to walk before she can fly.
    01-25-13 07:49 PM
    Would these apps have ringtones/notifiers? That's the problem with the PB, if she's not logged into GoogleChat for example, she doesn't know if she has any new messages.
    Yes these apps will most certainly have notification support. I haven't made it to my pc to do some proper research yet but, a quick google search on my phone found me this. http://hellomessenger.com/
    It's not the one I was thinking of and for the life of me I can't remember the name so I will look it up as soon as I get the chance. I have no personal experience with this service myself but, it is PIN based and seems to support os6. Check it out if you like.
    jagrlover likes this.
    01-25-13 08:16 PM
    She's desperate to text/IM with her ipod touch owning friends. And please don't suggest buying her an apple product.
    Really? Desperate? Anyone else find that disturbing?

Nothing wrong w/ iPod for the kiddies.
    01-25-13 08:55 PM
    Really? Desperate? Anyone else find that disturbing?

Nothing wrong w/ iPod for the kiddies.

What exactly do you find disturbing?
    01-25-13 09:03 PM
    What about IM+. That's a messaging app.
    01-25-13 09:46 PM
    It's my understanding it won't without BIS.
    Well if you turn off the cellular network and run a BB on wifi only BBM continues to work.. So I would think, that if you provisioned the phone for BIS, but booting it up with your sim card in it.. got BBM working, and then pulled out your sim, it should continue to work..

Just a theory though.
    01-25-13 09:47 PM
    What about IM+. That's a messaging app.
    I thought all that did was bring together a bunch of apps, no?
    01-25-13 09:52 PM
    Well if you turn off the cellular network and run a BB on wifi only BBM continues to work.. So I would think, that if you provisioned the phone for BIS, but booting it up with your sim card in it.. got BBM working, and then pulled out your sim, it should continue to work..

Just a theory though.
    Thanks. I'll look into that.
    01-25-13 09:54 PM
    After my upgrade I've told my daughter that she can have my old 9800 runnung OS6. There will be no SIM card, it will be wifi only. She has her own BBid because she has a PlayBook. Will she still be able to download apps from AppWorld? I know BBM won't work, as won't Whatsapp as it depends on a phone #. Are there any text/instant messaging services that will work for her? She's desperate to text/IM with her ipod touch owning friends. And please don't suggest buying her an apple product.
    Take your sim card out of your phone tonight and try it on wifi only. That will demonstrate how the phone works on wifi only.
    01-25-13 10:21 PM
    BlackBerry AppWorld requires a connection to the wireless carrier network.
    01-25-13 10:42 PM
    what about live profile?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-25-13 11:49 PM
    she will be able to use BBM7 Voice
    01-26-13 01:51 AM
    BlackBerry AppWorld requires a connection to the wireless carrier network.
    So I guess I need to download anything she wants before the switch?
    01-26-13 09:18 AM
    So I guess I need to download anything she wants before the switch?
    LiveProfile was the other app I was thinking of. Thanks @battery for that. It seems it uses both a phone number and a PIN but, it should work on either or so that one would work for you in this case as well.

It's easiest to download anything you want for your daughter before you switch phones however, you can always download and install apps through the browser or install them via Desktop Manager if you don't have an active BIS account. Just go to the website of the app you want to download and click download BlackBerry app and install it that way.

It also wouldn't hurt to download a third party browser such as Opera before you switch phones which will definitely work via wifi only in the case you have issues with the native browser working without BIS.
    01-26-13 10:33 AM