Anyone know what GPS chipset is used? Anyone with a Storm 2 brave enough to open theirs up to peek? I really want an excuse to upgrade, and if it uses the SiRFstarIV then I'm in. The chip might be marked "GSD4t" or similar. I think CSR now makes it (they bought Sirf).

Thanks for answering or peeking inside.
    10-01-09 03:53 PM
    Whatever's in the S1... it's most likely the very same.
    10-01-09 04:27 PM
    Yes, I agree, but I won't make any purchase like this based on an assumption that can be verified - can someone actually look? thanks!
    10-01-09 05:13 PM
    Whatever... it's Qualcomm's GPSOne... do whatever you want, but no one's going to be posting teardowns until it's released.
    10-01-09 08:29 PM
    SIRFStar IV is unlikely as it's too new. Besides, it lacks A-GPS...

But it would be nice to see this chip appear in some future devices because it has one lovely feature that gpsOne doesn't - accelerometer link.
    10-01-09 11:16 PM
    Better yet, is there a way to enable skyhook on a blackberry with wifi? Forget waiting for sirf 4. I wouldn't think there's even a sirf3 chipset in these things.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-09 11:34 PM
    I have an 8800 and I think it has a siRFstarIII chipset. And I thought version III already had a-gps per here GPS: High-Tech Lost and Found - SiRF-ing the Globe - Opinions by ExtremeTech

So I just assumed version IV would have a-gps or the equivalent, but I'm no expert in these matters. And Sirf seems to use the term in the brochure here http://www.sirf.de/products/SiRFstarIV%20Brochure.pdf You sure IV doesn't have a-gps or equivalent?
    10-02-09 11:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD