I know that there are more and less sensitive chips for acquiring satellite information for places like denser forests, steep canyons or urban areas.

One technology is SiRF.

My current Freedom 2000 has the following:

Chipset: MTK 51 Channels "All-In-View"tracking. And it gets great reception including inside my upstairs at home.

Anyone know what's inside the Tour?
    07-27-09 06:58 PM
    I assume it's Qualcomm's GPSOne chip that they integrate into most of their MSM7XXX chipset CDMA devices. I know some of the GSM devices have the SiRF chip in them.
    07-27-09 07:21 PM
    Hmmm Is this equivalent to what they would have in the Bold?
    07-27-09 07:43 PM
    Hmmm Is this equivalent to what they would have in the Bold?
    I don't believe so. The Bold uses the SiRF GSC3LTif chip.
    07-27-09 09:21 PM
    Thanks. I guess I know about the SiRf since I see it mentioned in my garmin literature and other places.

Any idea how sensitive the one in the Tour is? Better, worse or equal?

I do not have the Tour yet - waiting for ne2 from Verizon but I do use gps programs to track bike rides and hikes and x-country ski trips with my 8830.
    07-28-09 12:32 AM
    All I can do is compare the one in my tour to the one in my 8900 and my wife's garmin (755 I think)
    My 8900 was the worst. I had to refresh the GPS to get a lock, and that took like 5 minutes.
    The wife's Garmin takes about 2 minutes to aquire sattelites.
    My Tour takes like 20 to 50 seconds to plot my position on BBmaps. Of course it takes my Tour 5 minutes to boot up so maybe its aquiring sattelites during the boot process also.
    My Tour normally grabs 10 sattelites, the 8900 never more than 7. Dunno how to tell that with the Garmin.
    Oh, and this is while sitting in my chair in my ground floor living room.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-09 03:09 AM
    OT:

skyboxer, nice dog yo Them yo feet?

haha. this barcode scanner kicks ***!
    07-28-09 03:26 AM
    I assume it's Qualcomm's GPSOne chip that they integrate into most of their MSM7XXX chipset CDMA devices. I know some of the GSM devices have the SiRF chip in them.
    How can you find out which chip you have in your device?

My Tour takes like 20 to 50 seconds to plot my position on BBmaps.
    This is about the same for me

Of course it takes my Tour 5 minutes to boot up so maybe its aquiring sattelites during the boot process also.
    LOL...this is so true.

My Tour normally grabs 10 sattelites
    How did you figure this out? Thank in advance
    Last edited by cityguyaz; 07-28-09 at 03:50 AM.
    07-28-09 03:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD