what email accounts are best to use in outlook to be able to sync and reconcile my handheld so all the messages Ive opened and deleted will sync with my outlook. Currently I use outlook 7, gonna upgrade to 10 soon, have the current bb desktop software, bb bold 9000 and use a godaddy pop 3 acct
    12-29-10 02:17 AM
    what email accounts are best to use in outlook to be able to sync and reconcile my handheld so all the messages Ive opened and deleted will sync with my outlook. Currently I use outlook 7, gonna upgrade to 10 soon, have the current bb desktop software, bb bold 9000 and use a godaddy pop 3 acct
    I would use a gmail acct and make it IMAP as google suggests you do and it syncs rather nicely and push mail from gmail is very fast.
    12-29-10 11:43 AM
    Any account as long as it has IMAP support.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-10 02:51 PM
    Sadly BIS email isn't all that when it comes to sync. Gmail has two way sync but despite the fact it would be simple to implement this accross other IMAP email platforms RIM decides not to do this.

If you want sent items to sync to the Blackberry and also open items to sync from Outlook to the Blackberry then Gmail is the option for you.

It does seem a poor show that other IMAP technology is not implemented properly though but I guess RIM are just protecting their own interests by keeping BES superior to BIS in all aspects.

12-30-10 09:12 AM
    gmail is the way to go because you can sync your address book and calander to the google.com
    12-30-10 09:44 AM
    Thanks guys ONE last question! so a gmail account it is then. Ill forward my current email to gmail. When I get 2010 outlook Ill also get the gmail.
    Then if I delete on any of the 3 , outlook, blackberry, or gmail it will delete on all 3 right? Or will I still have to delete off my blackberry? If so thats ok as my blackbery is the main device i use. BUt outlook is my laptop email and I love its features I just hate having a 1000 undeleted emails all the time. I get between 50-100 emails a day and only 10% is spam.
    01-12-11 08:37 PM
    Hotmail is actually superior to GMail when it comes to working in Outlook, and there is also Windows Live Essentials which ties directly into Windows Live Services.

The Hotmail Connector in Outlook uses DeltaSync, which is similar in function to how Outlook Syncs up with Exchange. In Outlook 2010, everything is pushed to Outlook from Windows Live the minute it comes in - Mail, Contacts, and Calendar.

Google doesn't even approach Hotmail in Outlook unless you are a Google Apps Premier user, and Google's Label System makes working with GMail in IMAP clients a PITA.
    01-13-11 12:41 AM
    Everything said with this post. Outlook also synces the junk email list. You seam to get a lot of junk, so a good junk folder my be prefered

I for my part was before the question. I went for hotmail and hope that with next genersltion of Blackberr y internet service the sync of contacts and calender will the possible... This function was expected with BIS 3.2 already. So i guess it will not took to long.

However consider that hotmail is mutch more unreaible than gmail (see forums search). However for me it wworks quite perfect.

01-13-11 09:39 AM
    how about Microsoft exchange. if I delete on my blackberry, and assuming it deleted on my exchange, will it also delete in my outlook 2010
    01-25-11 01:27 AM
    MSexchange is the best on a BB, but you'll need BES or BESX for it to work.
    01-25-11 01:39 AM
    Thanks wrong. You might be able to use it with OWA via BIS.

But BES(X) is better of course. And only BES provides all features!
    01-25-11 12:13 PM
    Thanks wrong. You might be able to use it with OWA via BIS.

But BES(X) is better of course. And only BES provides all features!
    It works differently when you're using OWA.

To get full Exchange functionality you need BES[X] and if you get a Hosted Exchange account BES will cost more than the mailbox itself.

However, there is AstraSync.

I agree with the poster above. BIS is pretty embarassing when compared to the native Syncing capabilities on other platforms and the ActiveSync support present in virtually every other major smartphone platform.

If RIM wants to compete in the consumer space, this will become an issue (it already is) and they will need to license ActiveSync and build a Client for OTA PIM Synching for consumer services (Google, Windows Live, and even Business users who don't have BES deployed). POP/IMAP through BIS simply isn't good enough and most non-business users won't want to pay for a Domain Name (or use a crappy sub domain) and pay for Exchange and BES to get their PIM data sync'd.

Synching through Outlook via USB is for the 90s...

I have a Hosted Exchange account and RIM's licensing costs make the cost of BES too high for me to consider adding it on. They give us ActiveSync for free, though, so pretty much every smartphone out there, and even a some feature phones work out of the box with it...
    01-25-11 12:51 PM
    how about Microsoft exchange. if I delete on my blackberry, and assuming it deleted on my exchange, will it also delete in my outlook 2010
    Yes. Everything resides on the Exchange server. It's only cached on the client. When something changes in one place, it changes everywhere else. There is no need to "reconcile" everything. That's why ActiveSync has become a "standard" for mobile Email/PIM Synchronization, and it's why every major platform except RIM supports it.

With a Blackberry (assuming no BES) if you make changes in Outlook and do not sync your Blackberry, that can cause issues (not having an updated phone number or email address, etc.).
    01-25-11 12:53 PM
    MSexchange is the best on a BB, but you'll need BES or BESX for it to work.
    Windows Mobile 6.5 supports every Exchange Policy and the Synchronization of all Exchange Data, and it doesn't need any middleware to function. Doesn't get much better than that, I'm afraid...

BES only improves on that by adding more policies and device management functionality... for the most part.
    01-25-11 12:55 PM
    Yes. Everything resides on the Exchange server. It's only cached on the client. When something changes in one place, it changes everywhere else. There is no need to "reconcile" everything. That's why ActiveSync has become a "standard" for mobile Email/PIM Synchronization, and it's why every major platform except RIM supports it.

With a Blackberry (assuming no BES) if you make changes in Outlook and do not sync your Blackberry, that can cause issues (not having an updated phone number or email address, etc.).
    Small correction, blackberry bis syncs perfectly to outlook via the usb cable, just not ota. Assuming you have your blackberry with you when you sit down at the computer it only take a couple of minutes to have them sync using the desktop manager.
    01-25-11 01:36 PM
    Windows Mobile 6.5 supports every Exchange Policy and the Synchronization of all Exchange Data, and it doesn't need any middleware to function. Doesn't get much better than that, I'm afraid...
    I totally agree with you. Most of the companies are only using BES because they always did. BES was good while it brought Mobile Email to devices. RIM/Blackberry provides a instant email solution that worked. Data cost had been hight.

For now Exchange provides more features to the end user comparing the usage of the exchange mailbox.
    - You have category sync on exchange.
    - You get the name cache synced on the WM device when using Outlook 2007 or later (comes with Exchange 2k10).
    - You can sync SMS to the exchange mailbox. You can sent SMS via your Phone from Outlook 2k10 (comes with Exchange 2k10).
    - Sync of mails that are bigger than 3/4 MB.
    - Search is much faster with Windows Mobile.
    - Sync of unlimited prepopulation if you like.

Of course BB is fast. Even faster than the Outlook desktop client sometimes, but this is not a really big deal because 1 to 5 seconds is not argument at all. Also the datausage is not a really good argument because data is cheap and the BB option is expensive on most carriers as well.

It is too bad that MS decided to go for Windows Phone, because this OS doesn't really provide any feature I like. It doesnt even support sync of tasks. And there are no devices like a Blackberry (meaing QWERT* keyboard)
    Thats why I bought a BB.

About BIS. I think they are on a good way. It is required to add more features to services other than GMAIL what I guess will come.
    And to the honest: I dont think the BIS is quite bad. I think BIS is a really good idea. In Germany most people using GMX oder web.de and these providers don't really provide a syncing method that you can use. Also the T-Mobile address (T-Online) are used quite often (like AOL). With BIS there is a way to use it*.

*) Of course I would never use t-online again, it can be compared to AOL...
    01-25-11 02:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD