Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree21Likes
  • 2 Post By BB10CB
  • 2 Post By Superfly_FR
  • 1 Post By Superfly_FR
  • 4 Post By lnichols
  • 2 Post By Superfly_FR
  • 1 Post By Superfly_FR
  • 1 Post By cgk
  • 3 Post By dentynefire
  • 1 Post By dentynefire

Global Posts
    10,069 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default What does T. Heins implies with this "big" S to devices at launch ?

When I first came to crackberry.com, it was all about the PlayBook.
    Since OS2 has dropped, even with the LTE/3G+ launches, I found suspicious that no one at RIM even mention it when talking about BB10.

If deviceS meant more than "several smartphones" ?
    Of course, no way they release it w/o beta testing first ... but even PB BB10 beta release would be neat, isn't it ?
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

RIM's priority is BB 10 smartphones right now because that's where they make money to keep the company going. That's why the leaked roadmap showed mid-2013 for PlayBook BB 10 update
    Banned

I have a feeling that BB10 on PlayBook will be demoed on launch to show the 'scalability' factor QNX brings to the table..
    kbz1960 and Superfly_FR like this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,482 Global Posts

Back in August of 2011, RIM had 3 items on a leaked roadmap from Wireless Giant that were supposed to release in October 2011: Cyclone (HDMI Streaming), Beats (WiFi Stereo), and Calypso (WiFi Stereo). One of those may be the current media gateway, but two never were released. The Cyclone appears to be something like a BlackberryTV. It is very possible that RIM delayed all these things because of the delay in BB10 phones (this is when BBX was supposed said to be coming out in Q1 2012), and that these devices will be running QNX. RIM will need things like this to fill out the ecosystem, even if they aren't big sellers. Apple and Google both have TV offerings even though neither is hugely successful. These are the type of things that may be getting announced in addition to phones. Here is a link to the Crackberry article from August 2011:

Leaked Wireless Giant road map shows release dates for BB 7 devices, Cyclone, Calypso, Beats and more | CrackBerry.com
  5. cgk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    7,830 Global Posts

Default RE: What does T. Heins implies with this "big" S to devices at launch ?

It is straightforward media management - Heins is trying to build a narrative of potential future success, you don't do it talking about bombs that were introduced by the previous regime.
    Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
  6. cgk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    7,830 Global Posts

Default RE: What does T. Heins implies with this "big" S to devices at launch ?

They would be crazy to get into TV at the current moment for a whole range of structural and RIM related reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols View Post
    Back in August of 2011, RIM had 3 items on a leaked roadmap from Wireless Giant that were supposed to release in October 2011: Cyclone (HDMI Streaming), Beats (WiFi Stereo), and Calypso (WiFi Stereo). One of those may be the current media gateway, but two never were released. The Cyclone appears to be something like a BlackberryTV. It is very possible that RIM delayed all these things because of the delay in BB10 phones (this is when BBX was supposed said to be coming out in Q1 2012), and that these devices will be running QNX. RIM will need things like this to fill out the ecosystem, even if they aren't big sellers. Apple and Google both have TV offerings even though neither is hugely successful. These are the type of things that may be getting announced in addition to phones. Here is a link to the Crackberry article from August 2011:

Leaked Wireless Giant road map shows release dates for BB 7 devices, Cyclone, Calypso, Beats and more | CrackBerry.com

Global Posts
    10,069 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by cgk View Post
    It is straightforward media management - Heins is trying to build a narrative of potential future success, you don't do it talking about bombs that were introduced by the previous regime.
    Can agree with that. But remember the "platform" qualifier T.H used each and every interview he had. How could this be without a tablet ?
    kbz1960 and Toodeurep like this.

Global Posts
    10,069 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by lnichols View Post
    Back in August of 2011, RIM had 3 items on a leaked roadmap from Wireless Giant that were supposed to release in October 2011: Cyclone (HDMI Streaming), Beats (WiFi Stereo), and Calypso (WiFi Stereo). One of those may be the current media gateway, but two never were released. The Cyclone appears to be something like a BlackberryTV. It is very possible that RIM delayed all these things because of the delay in BB10 phones (this is when BBX was supposed said to be coming out in Q1 2012), and that these devices will be running QNX. RIM will need things like this to fill out the ecosystem, even if they aren't big sellers. Apple and Google both have TV offerings even though neither is hugely successful. These are the type of things that may be getting announced in addition to phones.
    Well, I believe this would be tougher than to release PB ... but, who knows ?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,482 Global Posts

They would be crazy to get into TV at the current moment for a whole range of structural and RIM related reasons.

If they have all the media agreements lined up with apps and content for BB10 phones, then it really isn't that hard to make a device with a network port, wireless, and HDMI port, using Playbook or BB10 internals to allow for a TV connected device that would support DLNA and/or QNET streaming from BB10 phone to TV for TV's that don't support DLNA. Throw a USB port to connect an external drive full of movies. There is a small market for such devices, and if they could support flash then so much the better. Be able to remote control the device from your BlackBerry phone. I was watching International rugby this past weekend via a Flash feed on my Playbook connected to the TV. I want to see RIM take BB10 beyond the phone/tablet, for applications like this, ditch the need MS server to run BES (make BES all BB10), etc.
  10. cgk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    7,830 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly_FR View Post
    Can agree with that. But remember the "platform" qualifier T.H used each and every interview he had. How could this be without a tablet ?
    Aren't you trying to force a square into a round hole? Why does a future BB10 tablet have to be the playbook or a rehashed playbook?

Global Posts
    10,069 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Aren't you trying to force a square into a round hole? Why does a future BB10 tablet have to be the playbook or a rehashed playbook?
    You mean they'll build another tablet from scratch, 8 months after releasing the radio enabled ones ? Sounds very unlikely to me.
    Nothing is really wrong with PB hardware (especially latest builds), so why should they bother ? One update OTA and they're ready ...
  12. cgk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    7,830 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly_FR View Post
    You mean they'll build another tablet from scratch, 8 months after releasing the radio enabled ones ? Sounds very unlikely to me.
    Nothing is really wrong with PB hardware (especially latest builds), so why should they bother ? One update OTA and they're ready ...
    That's a technical answer - it's a failed product - why carry on with a tarnished name?

Global Posts
    10,069 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

That's a technical answer - it's a failed product - why carry on with a tarnished name?
    No that's "a product no one ever heard about" ... and this makes huge difference, IMHO
    kemj likes this.
    Banned

It's a failed product only if you look at sales. But hardware is not a failure. It's at par with iPad Mini just launched.. PlayBook is a good name.
    CrackBerry Genius

HMM I think the audio is the music gateway.Which is pretty awesome now that I looked at it.

As for the TV thing maybe RIM struck deals with content suppliers and with one of the TV brands that use NFC?? I think hdmi streaming could come via a box like the music gateway that pushes out your tv to PB or vice versa??
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,269 Global Posts
    PIN
    330c56f6

Isn't it already posted in the playbook forums that it will indeed be coming to the tablet?
    Thanked by:
    ALToronto (11-28-2012) 
  17. cgk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    7,830 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BB10CB View Post
    It's a failed product only if you look at sales. But hardware is not a failure. It's at par with iPad Mini just launched.. PlayBook is a good name.
    What else matters for a company that can't make a profit and had to take a massive write-off on the playbook?

PlayBook is a good name.
    For who? Outside of North America it makes it sound like a toy.
    Saiga likes this.
    Banned

What else matters for a company that can't make a profit and had to take a massive write-off on the playbook?

For who? Outside of North America it makes it sound like a toy.
    So what if I did not make a profit. I would dare not say the PlayBook is a fail tablet.. It's even foolish.. As I own one and I know the power and capabilities. If BB10 was not in the pipeline, PB OS would be at say 3 right now and that would mean reallly powerful.

Even with OS 2, when I use the playbook I am very confident with it, unlike other Android tablets in the house. There's ipad 2 also in the house and if just compare the basics, it gives the iPad2 a run.

You cannot judge everything by profit or sales. The jaguar car company went broke and so many like wise.. But they believed and look where they are now.

Outside Us, blackberry name is enough. Playbook is a classy name.. Very businesslike tone to it and professional.. Infact ipad feels like a toy and always gets that 'oh you too' look..

The playbook stands well underpriced for the hardware..
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,415 Global Posts

Actually looking at sales may be the wrong metric. I think most people agree that the PB had a botched release and for a few reasons. That said it has continued to sell albeit at a discount and apps are continually released for it. In fact the play part of the name is apt as its a great gaming device! I think they should have focused on that instead of it supposedly being the first professional grade tablet. I believe that the absolute only thing limiting the sales and price is the app catalogue, which is getting better minus the crappy ebooks.

@CGK I have to ask why you bother using that Lumia when you could have bought a much more widely supported device such as a Droid or iPhone? You are clearly using a failed device yourself.
    lnichols, Mattma43 and spike12 like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,662 Global Posts

I want to see a 9" Playbook and a 12" Playbook. The latter could be pretty popular.
    Blackberry 10 > Windows Phone 7/8 > Blackberry 7 > iOS > Android > Symbian > WebOS > Meego
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by grahamf View Post
    I want to see a 9" Playbook and a 12" Playbook. The latter could be pretty popular.
    pretty sure there's a 10 inch tablet on the way Q4.Im coping that also.
  22. cgk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    7,830 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dentynefire View Post

@CGK I have to ask why you bother using that Lumia when you could have bought a much more widely supported device such as a Droid or iPhone? You are clearly using a failed device yourself.
    Because it was free - it was given to me - but I do really like my Lumia - but so what? they flopped in the market, my own personal preference is irrelevant when discussing the place of a device in the market - regardless of personal preference, the playbook was a sales failure and a financial bomb for RIM. Discussions about personal preference are of no interest to me because they tell us nothing.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,415 Global Posts

Because it was free - it was given to me - but I do really like my Lumia - but so what? they flopped in the market, my own personal preference is irrelevant when discussing the place of a device in the market - regardless of personal preference, the playbook was a sales failure and a financial bomb for RIM. Discussions about personal preference are of no interest to me because they tell us nothing.
    I do think its relevant but I don't care about your preference specifically. Nokia is still using the Lumia name after they released phone after phone with disappointing sales. That's why they are using Windows OS now.. because no one bought Lumias. So in your posts you were saying the PlayBook name was tarnished and shouldn't be used, clearly more than one company prefers to keep their dogs as it were and improve on them in their own way. I thought it strange you would take that position is all. Maybe you think they should rebrand as well? Do you? In the past I've advocated BB rebrand because of the negativity in the US but seeing BB10 previews I have a completely different opinion on the matter now. Also BB next year could advertise the All New PlayBook with BB10 and at which point BB10 on the PlayBook will actually be a performance and feature increase to what we have now. This is similar to what Nokia is doing with Lumia.
    Balti43 likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,186 Global Posts

My hope is device"s" mean high and mid level full touch and qwerty devices launching globally. . .and as far as the playbook is concerned. . . toss out a couple of ads showing Netflix, instagram, Skype, LinkedIn, and a bunch of games running in a glorious multitasking (and maybe even BBM integrated!?) BB10 way and the Playbook can easily become relevant again.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    341 Global Posts

Lol ^ S stands for Superbionic Phones.