Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes
  • 1 Post By pmccartney
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default what does "SIM card not provisioned:2" mean? and i also have a SOS for signal. i'm in Ontario canada

last nite my bberry bold 9700 was working fine. this am, i got this..
    "SIm card not provisioned:2" and SOS under signal.
    pls help
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    PIN
    75E06EB6

Default Re: what does "SIM card not provisioned:2" mean? and i also have a SOS for signal. i'm in Ontario ca

either your sim card hasnt been activated or has been deactivated (unlikely as you had it working last night), the sim has broken or your simcard is on a different network (e.g. trying to use a 3 uk sim on orange even if unlocked as orange seem to be funny about 3). there may be other reasons for that message but these are the ones i know will definately cause that message
    I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.
    I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Re: what does "SIM card not provisioned:2" mean? and i also have a SOS for signal. i'm in Ontario ca

I have a cottage south of Kincardine Ontario. For years my cell phone (on Bell network) worked ok there, but this year as soon as I arrive at the cottage I get "SOS" showing and my network provider is changed to "Rogers". It appears to me that for some reason Bell no longer has coverage where I am.

Perhaps you are just in a no signal area.

Are you with Bell by any chance. Their system seems to be getting consistantly worse every year!
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,298 Global Posts
    PIN
    Wouldn't you like to know

Default Re:

D
    Quote Originally Posted by rkorchensky View Post
    I have a cottage south of Kincardine Ontario. For years my cell phone (on Bell network) worked ok there, but this year as soon as I arrive at the cottage I get "SOS" showing and my network provider is changed to "Rogers". It appears to me that for some reason Bell no longer has coverage where I am.

Perhaps you are just in a no signal area.

Are you with Bell by any chance. Their system seems to be getting consistantly worse every year!
    Bell has increased their coverage, but they have started killing the old technology towers. It's likely that the old tower is no longer active and they haven't received permission to raise a new one from the landowner.

Their system is consistently better each year, I get full data in rural eastern ontario I places I wouldn't get a signal at all a few years ago, where my Rogers using friends have no service. Your impression of the Bell network area getting worse is strictly your opinion and the opposite of what is actually happening as the network footprint gets updated.

To the OP, sounds like a bad simcard.

I've got blisters on me fingers!!! from using Tapatalk 2
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,065 Global Posts

SIM card failure. Not a coverage issue.
    Take it to a local retail outlet and they should give you a new SIM card and provision it on the spot.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2B1BC93C

Quote Originally Posted by njblackberry View Post
    SIM card failure. Not a coverage issue.
    Take it to a local retail outlet and they should give you a new SIM card and provision it on the spot.
    This pretty much.

Same thing happened to me on T-Mobile late last week or early this week. Gave me a "SIM not allowed" thing with the SOS for signal.

I went to the T-Mobile store. The changed my SIM. And everything worked good again.

Reason being, my SIM was about 7 years old. Lol. And they update their towers/network all the time. But can't push updates to SIMs. Because of whatever constraints. So you just have to end up getting a new one.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I just got a new sim sent in the post on T.mobile and it still says "SIM not provisioned"?? is it casuse i havent actavated it and how would i do that??
    Waterloo's Finest

Global Posts
    5,371 Global Posts

Get used to SOS for your signal if you have a blackberry in ontario on rogers. Expect it at critical moments,, in areas supposedly in coverage area, on clear days, not near buildings,when you most need a quick answer.
    Phones: Nokia 5110>Nokia 3360>Siemens C56>Moto RAZR>LG Chocolate>Pearl 8100>Bold 9000 >Pearl 9100 + Bold 9900 > iPhone 4S + Z10 + Bold 9000
    Tablets: 16GB Playbook > Playbook 32GB
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SEXY GIRLS IN YOGA PANTS CHANNEL

C000288CC
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________
    pmccartney likes this.

Global Posts
    3,272 Global Posts
    PIN
    24BF22A0

Having worked for, and used both Bell and Rogers.. The coverage area for both are pretty even, but as always there are some places Rogers doesn't work and Bell does.. and other places where Bell doesn't work and Rogers does.. one persons experience is not anothers. It all depends on where you live, work and go on a regular basis.

One difference however is that Rogers was a GSM provider.. 3G and 4G being evolutions of GSM. As such as you get further away from a rogers tower, or if you are in a less service area that might only have GSM coverage (less of an issue now as most area's are HSPA or HSPA+ serviced) a rogers phone will fail over to GSM (you will see 'edge' on your screen) and continue to give you a connection. Bell does not and never had GSM coverage.. at the time they were still using CDMA, so if you are using a Bell HSPA device and there's no HSPA service.. then there's just no service.

All and all not an issue for 99% of people.. both carriers have excellent coverage MOST places anyone ever goes.. so it's a personal preference more then anything else. IMO Rogers is a better quality service, they tend to get things sooner, and it's the little things like name display on caller ID that set them above Bell..

All of that said.. the OP's problem has nothing to do with coverage.. the SIM has been deactivated or has become defected.. an SOS can mean no signal, but it would not be accompanied by the SIM not provisioned message.

RIM 950 .... Blackberry Z10 (STL100-3 on hybrid OS 10.3.0.140/misc) and everything in between
    + Playbook 32GB
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    ask me

I get SOS sometimes if I have my phone turned off and charging at night. I turn it on in the morning and it is like that. I just turn the network off and on and it resets itself. Dont know why it does this, happens about once a week.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,071 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan hutton View Post
    I just got a new sim sent in the post on T.mobile and it still says "SIM not provisioned"?? is it casuse i havent actavated it and how would i do that??
    Try using T-Mobile's online chat, or taking your SIM card (and phone, although theoretically you shouldn't need to) to a T-Mobile store. They'll tie the SIM to your account. That's probably what happened--the SIM wasn't activated on your account before it was sent.

Quote Originally Posted by just_luc View Post
    One difference however is that Rogers was a GSM provider.. 3G and 4G being evolutions of GSM. As such as you get further away from a rogers tower, or if you are in a less service area that might only have GSM coverage (less of an issue now as most area's are HSPA or HSPA+ serviced) a rogers phone will fail over to GSM (you will see 'edge' on your screen) and continue to give you a connection. Bell does not and never had GSM coverage.. at the time they were still using CDMA, so if you are using a Bell HSPA device and there's no HSPA service.. then there's just no service.
    Telus is the same way--no legacy GSM network. And I guess it sucks for the 1% that need a fall back network that they (Telus and Bell) went with the 850/1900 MHz bands for HSPA, because there aren't any CDMA-GSM ("world") BBs that come with CDMA bands and 850/1900 bands AFAIK, "world phones" have the 2100 MHz band only.
    Models and Supported Frequencies: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30

Want to find out which radio band your BB10 phone is currently on? UMTS, LTE (careful with escreens!)
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    K Floyd

Having worked for, and used both Bell and Rogers.. The coverage area for both are pretty even, but as always there are some places Rogers doesn't work and Bell does.. and other places where Bell doesn't work and Rogers does.. one persons experience is not anothers. It all depends on where you live, work and go on a regular basis.

All and all not an issue for 99% of people.. both carriers have excellent coverage MOST places anyone ever goes.. so it's a personal preference more then anything else. IMO Rogers is a better quality service, they tend to get things sooner, and it's the little things like name display on caller ID that set them above Bell..

All of that said.. the OP's problem has nothing to do with coverage.. the SIM has been deactivated or has become defected.. an SOS can mean no signal, but it would not be accompanied by the SIM not provisioned message.
    Their (Bell/Rogers) coverage areas may be about equal but that doesn't necessarily translate into signal strength. I have been with Bell for many years (work provided phone) and have my 3 kids on Rogers cell plans (for billing discount purposes).

As a hockey coach I travel to many rinks throughout Ontario/Quebec and parts of the US. I have yet to find a location, or in particular, the indoors of an arena where I can't get a strong signal on Bell. My kids phones are about 50/50 when we are in these same venues together. Unfortunately they can't even use their phones in the basement of our own home in Waterloo while I have 4/5 bars there.
    I often here people I am traveling with in these arenas say, "I don't get any bars" and my first comment is " you must be on Rogers. The answer is always yes.

Hopefully the OP resolved his/her issue a few months ago.
    Z30

Global Posts
    3,272 Global Posts
    PIN
    24BF22A0

Quote Originally Posted by pmccartney View Post
    Their (Bell/Rogers) coverage areas may be about equal but that doesn't necessarily translate into signal strength. I have been with Bell for many years (work provided phone) and have my 3 kids on Rogers cell plans (for billing discount purposes).

As a hockey coach I travel to many rinks throughout Ontario/Quebec and parts of the US. I have yet to find a location, or in particular, the indoors of an arena where I can't get a strong signal on Bell. My kids phones are about 50/50 when we are in these same venues together. Unfortunately they can't even use their phones in the basement of our own home in Waterloo while I have 4/5 bars there.
    I often here people I am traveling with in these arenas say, "I don't get any bars" and my first comment is " you must be on Rogers. The answer is always yes.

Hopefully the OP resolved his/her issue a few months ago.
    The frequency bell uses does tend to penetrate buildings better.. that's a fact. But again, this comes down how and where you use your phone.. as a counter point to your story I often find myself in the northern Ontario wilderness where I get excellent Rogers service, and bell service is non-existent...

RIM 950 .... Blackberry Z10 (STL100-3 on hybrid OS 10.3.0.140/misc) and everything in between
    + Playbook 32GB
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    K Floyd

The frequency bell uses does tend to penetrate buildings better.. that's a fact. But again, this comes down how and where you use your phone.. as a counter point to your story I often find myself in the northern Ontario wilderness where I get excellent Rogers service, and bell service is non-existent...
    For sure. It's ironic that Rogers had that TV commercial (handsome guy on Rogers and geeky guy on other; you know the ones) where the two guys get on an elevator and the Rogers guy has the signal and the Bell/other guy has no bars. lol.
    You hang out in the Red Lake area?...just kidding. I have lots of my family in N Ont (T-Bay and higher).
    Z30
    just_luc likes this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

That is some good info but my bbm was working this mornin and when i came home it stopped working!!!! My whatsapp works and internet and twitter and facebook but not my bbm and it says sim not provisioned:2 what should i do? or whats wrong with it ?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Sim no signal

Sim card not provitioned:2
    CrackBerry Newbie

I have encountered the same problem sim card not provitioned.wat does it mean and how it works?