So there's this app in AppWorld called GPS Tracker that I think is pretty interesting. It allows you to run a software that can load at startup that relays your location to a website called instamapper.com... First thing in my mind was battery, battery, battery... Wouldn't a software that was continuously running in the background and sending my location just kill my battery? Well as it turns out, I guess it used to be in previous versions, but the developers addressed that and now it seemingly provided little change if you set it to send once every 120 seconds or so. Memory turns out to not be a problem either... I would have thought this would be problem number 2, with a memory drain, but it hangs in there just fine.

I think this is great in case your phone decides to walk away. You can just wait until the moron settles in for the evening, call the cops or handle your own business... Done and done.
    Last edited by sandos; 04-02-09 at 12:34 PM.
    04-02-09 12:32 PM
    smrtguard runs the same type of service, but allows you to turn on and off tracking via their website. The app is always running, but it only sends data when requested. They also offer SIM protection and remote data wipe.
    04-02-09 01:04 PM
    Good app. Been using it a few weeks. Set it for 600 seconds myself. Only problem is the autostart up shows you its started up and one simple key press from that screen turns it off. That's a shame

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-09 01:48 PM
    smrtguard runs the same type of service, but allows you to turn on and off tracking via their website. The app is always running, but it only sends data when requested. They also offer SIM protection and remote data wipe.
    just to add to that, smrt guard works great, backs up contacts, call logs, emails, memo's to-do's, and events. the only other thing about it that it IS free right now, but its still in open beta testing, so they might charge later on, but so far so good!
    04-02-09 02:06 PM
    Good app. Been using it a few weeks. Set it for 600 seconds myself. Only problem is the autostart up shows you its started up and one simple key press from that screen turns it off. That's a shame

But if you're password protected, Mr. Thief will be here on CB trying to figure out how to get around that, while the software has already loaded and you're banging on his door... Bat in hand.
    04-02-09 03:04 PM
    Yeah... That actually looks pretty good, only problem is their registration is locked. When they go "commercial" they'll probably go $$$ too. Oh well.
    04-02-09 03:09 PM
    Admin replied to a post I made regarding the startup srcreen on the instamapper forum.

S/he said the disallow "Covert" tracking so they wont be building any kind of functionality like that into future releases.

Thats a shame. I don't want my phone password protected. I just know I'll end up wiping it when drunk
    04-03-09 04:04 AM
    Yeah... That actually looks pretty good, only problem is their registration is locked. When they go "commercial" they'll probably go $$$ too. Oh well.
    It looks like they are looking at charging $1-2 a month according to a survey on their site. I would absolutely pay that for this service. In any case, I didn't think their registration was locked, I just signed up a couple weeks ago.

On a side note, it looks like they just updated and added some new features including remote lock and remote PING. You can also send email commands to the phone, instead of using the smrtguard website.

04-03-09 08:55 AM
    1-2 a month is cheap for what the software does. Its phenomenal. The personal guardian part of it could be very useful. Although, I don't wanna find out myself.

It looks like they are looking at charging $1-2 a month according to a survey on their site. I would absolutely pay that for this service. In any case, I didn't think their registration was locked, I just signed up a couple weeks ago.

On a side note, it looks like they just updated and added some new features including remote lock and remote PING. You can also send email commands to the phone, instead of using the smrtguard website.

04-03-09 09:04 AM
    I've had GPS tracker for 2 weeks now. It hasn't had any affect on my battery, however, something I added within the last 2 weeks is draining my memory. I'm unsure which app is the culprit at this point.
    04-03-09 09:39 AM
    I just downloaded smrtguard and its an ok app but the remote listening part doesnt work..ive tried, specified my work number...logged into their site and sent a command but 10 mins later nothing. Also audio ping doesnt work..about 20 mins ago i sent one and i havent received any alert whatsoever. Other than those 2 issues, the other parts of the service work...although i cannot open any attachments when they come through my blackberry email address so kinda defeats the point really.

I think the biggest issue with smrtguard is that its a memory leaker...i have 44mb today and soon as i installed it and ran it my mem has gone down to 36mb and still slowly draining.

So dont know if im gonna bother keeping it, ill see what their support has to say about these issues im having.
    04-03-09 09:44 AM
    how did you just download it? I looked on the site and it wouldn t let me sign up.
    04-03-09 09:47 AM
    Hmmm probably because the open beta is closed now. I downloaded it a few weeks ago...signed up but never really thought to give it a try until last night when i got an email saying that they had updated the version...so thought i might as well give it a go.
    04-03-09 09:53 AM
    Hmmm probably because the open beta is closed now. I downloaded it a few weeks ago...signed up but never really thought to give it a try until last night when i got an email saying that they had updated the version...so thought i might as well give it a go.
    Ah fairplay.
    04-03-09 09:54 AM
    I just downloaded smrtguard and its an ok app but the remote listening part doesnt work..ive tried, specified my work number...logged into their site and sent a command but 10 mins later nothing. Also audio ping doesnt work..about 20 mins ago i sent one and i havent received any alert whatsoever. Other than those 2 issues, the other parts of the service work...although i cannot open any attachments when they come through my blackberry email address so kinda defeats the point really.

I think the biggest issue with smrtguard is that its a memory leaker...i have 44mb today and soon as i installed it and ran it my mem has gone down to 36mb and still slowly draining.

So dont know if im gonna bother keeping it, ill see what their support has to say about these issues im having.
    Are you by any chance using firefox? I am, and I couldnt get anything to work on the website. Out of curousity I opened IE (actually just an IE tab) and tried visiting the smrtguard website. Everything worked perfectly! The remote listening command made the call within 5 seconds, gps tracking shows up almost instantly, and the audio ping works as well. YMMV
    04-03-09 09:58 AM
    Are you by any chance using firefox? I am, and I couldnt get anything to work on the website. Out of curousity I opened IE (actually just an IE tab) and tried visiting the smrtguard website. Everything worked perfectly! The remote listening command made the call within 5 seconds, gps tracking shows up almost instantly, and the audio ping works as well. YMMV
    Nope using IE myself....have never used firefox ever.

Well funnily enough i just tried the audio ping and it works now...go figure eh?? but remote listening isnt working still and now the lock device doesnt work. So dont know if it just needs a bit of time to settle down or what. Well the only thing remote listening does is send me the web command email...dont know what use is that to me...if anything it will let the thief know that hes getting emails from smrtguard.

With regards to the device lock option...what does that exactly do??..am i right in thinking that it remotely locks your device ie like as if you have set a password to lock the device??. I have a password set on my Bold and it times out after 5 mins. So maybe im completely wrong but i thought that option was to remotely lock your device so that a thief cant use it.
    Last edited by Spawn12; 04-03-09 at 10:19 AM.
    04-03-09 10:14 AM
    Remote lock is to lock your phone from your computer if it is not locked. If for example you have your device to lock every 60 minutes, and you just lost your phone right after unlocking it, you can jump on the site and lock the phone instantly

04-03-09 12:39 PM
    It appears that this app shuts off when your phone is locked. Does smrtguard do that? i might just subscribed. I need to keep track of my phone ever since someone stole my other phone
    05-13-09 05:45 PM
    I hear this doesnt work that well? Can anyone back that up or tell me that it works?
    05-13-09 06:35 PM
    I hear this doesnt work that well? Can anyone back that up or tell me that it works?
    If you're talking about GPS Tracker (which was the original topic), I can confirm that I have used it since the day I set it up and made this post and it works great....
    05-13-09 06:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD