Hi friends,

Just wanted to know what you thoughts are about Devcon and RIM's future??

Till now, I have been really disapointed!
    Sure, it's cool that RIM announced their new BBX, but except the "word" BBX there was nothing new.
    No devices or plans for devices, no dates, no details about that thing, no details if there will be a OS7-upgrade etc.

It seems that RIM hasn't been doing anything the last year. (Or at least not much).

It was the same game as ever - those stupid Q&A game on the stage between Mike and the QNX guy.
    Mike: "So you are from QNX?"
    QNX-guy: "Oh yeah! We are the leading software company in automotives, planes and trains... Over 300 bla, bla.."
    Mike: "Oh wow! We all heard that almost for the first time!"
    (Like: we have nothing new to tell you since pb)

Mike: "Yeah and there is bbm? Have you heard about it? It's the worlds best messenger!"

It's kinda sad...
    For me it seems a star is going down.

Hoped that he would say things like:
    "Here is QNX, it looks like that and that..." Or:
    "We have a brand new version of BBM it offers our new bbm-videochat in HD! right in the palm of your hand!"
    "Here is also the new liquid lense..."
    Or something like that...

What do you think?

Best wishes,
    Slash

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    easydoesit99 likes this.
    10-20-11 05:59 PM
    The word BBX wasn`t even new, it was copyrighted!
    easydoesit99 likes this.
    10-20-11 06:06 PM
    Great to see all the developer tools that are being released for the BBX platform and the demos look impressive. Think they are too focused on games though and not on business apps. Disappointed by not getting a date of even a feeler from RIM on close or far for 2.0 for Playbook, and that the 2.0 Beta apparently has a lot of issues meaning its not ready to roll out any time soon. Disappointed that we didn't here more about Blackberry video service, Calypso, Beats, or Cyclone, which makes me think the video service won't be ready for some time still. The keynote reactions by the audience were sad which makes me believe that RIM now has a great platform and developer tools, but the developers don't care and are more interested in developing for the competition. I'm hopeful of some special even soon to cover OS2.0 and the Hardware mentioned above.
    Just Me likes this.
    10-20-11 06:07 PM
    The response from the audience when they announced Android player dwarfed all other announcements for sure. Its all about great apps and BBX will be able to have that. Android or Native.
    10-20-11 07:40 PM
    I have to admit that I was disappointed at first because BBX prototype phones weren't shown off.

But then I realized that RIM learned from their mistakes when releasing the PlayBook. It was announced at DevCon last year and released this past April. The hype was built up and then fizzled. There was almost nothing readily available, not even native messaging apps. And that's what brought the PlayBook down.

When BBX phones release, I don't want to see them be blasted by the media and market the way the PB was. The PB is a great piece of hardware and Tablet OS was revoltionary. But, there were no apps and the entire tablet was thought to be unfinished. I would hate to see the new phones go through the same thing. If the apps are there before the phones and everything else is executed properly, BBX should be a new wave for RIM.

I've seen a lot of people here (especially in the past few days) complain that RIM doesn't keep their promises or adhere to their publically-stated schedule. Well, if they were't keeping to it, then why even tell the public? If they had announced a release date and then not delievered, can you imagine the outcry then? RIM has a clear window to release the phones when they're actually completed. Perhaps this time, RIM will release the phones within 2 weeks of announcing them, hopefully.

The developer's tools were definitely a step in the right direction. Yeah, they showed off a lot of games, but what else would you want them to show off? There's no business app I can think of that shows off the PlayBook's capabilities like a game does. The purpose of the games demonstration, I think, was not to show off games, but to show off the PlayBook's capabilities.

So, while I started out a bit disappointed when no BBX phones were announced, I believe this is for the best for RIM. Let the apps for the PB come. Since BBX phones and PB can run the same apps, why not generate them now?

I am hoping (praying) that this is a hit for RIM. I'm only a college student, but I love this company, and I love my BlackBerry! I know the media is generally biased against RIM, and it's disheartening to read sometimes. It almost seems as there is a general desire for RIM to fall. I really want it to succeed.

Come on, RIM!!! Prove the world wrong!

The RIMpire is currently in the process of striking back!!!
    Last edited by FlashFlare11; 10-20-11 at 11:15 PM.
    10-20-11 07:56 PM
    yeah i wasnt happy. i was hoping one day i would come to the cb blogs and see a qnx device like we were promised a few months ago.
    mike specifically said that we would see a qnx berry at the show, whether it is a usable one or a demo one just show us something!.
    im a little tired of let downs and empty promises.

dont get me wrong i am a huge bb fan but i need something to drool about once in awhile and the new bb7 devices are not drool worthy, esp with their battery life, lol
    easydoesit99 and anon(73368) like this.
    10-20-11 08:05 PM
    The timing could not have been worse. With the iPhone 4S release and Google's ICS announcement nothing at of Devcon made any news. So their big announcement is our phones can run our competitors apps.:roll eyes:

I was hoping RIM may try and pull something crazy off like have devices to show off with release dates shortly after. It almost feels like that kind of shock is what RIM would need to jumpstart their new OS into the press. Instead we are left with an announcement about an OS that will be at best a catch up to where the leaders have already been.
    10-20-11 08:20 PM
    My take on Devcon 2011 - it certainly was good for a few laughs. I have two favourite "Mike Moments" as I now call them:

1) "Wow" <--I lost count at #42.

2) "And your using your thumbs to touch the screen??!?!?!?!" <--well yes Mike, have you even picked up a Playbook?
    10-21-11 01:25 AM
    Would have loved to learn to more about BBX and maybe seen a device rocking BBX.
    10-21-11 05:23 AM
    Wait?!?!?!?!? Devcon happened?????? Shoot, I didn't know.........
    10-21-11 07:37 AM
    But with Devcon being for developers, how can you REALLY be upset? If it were a conference for the whiney-***, pseudo-fan consumer, maybe they would have shown these devices. Funny though, you all MENTION that you want to see all of this new crap but it won't even cut it.
    10-21-11 07:45 AM
    To a certain extent, I'm happy they didn't show a product that isn't going to get released for months and focused on the development side of the platform. I just hope that they aren't taking this long to show off a device with an OS that's basically the Playbook on a smaller screen.

The only thing that can save them now is if they show off a full web app and phone suite that's tightly integrated (getting rid of the need for Office or Google Apps). The phone interface itself can't be a ultra conservative or iterative version of OS7 or the Playbook OS 2.0. It really needs to be a modern OS with modern Web 2.0 feel.

I do like what they've shown with that contact manager and Evernote competitor, but I want that theme at the OS level and not just some app. Basically, if they play it safe they won't survive in this new market and if they take chances, they could be a solid third place contender.

MOST IMPORTANT: They really need to just place Basille at Chairman and Lazardis at CEO, then promote someone head of design. That person should become the face of the new products during the announcement because both those guys just aren't good presenters.
    Last edited by DBX00; 10-21-11 at 08:16 AM.
    10-21-11 08:13 AM
    FlashFlare,
    I just could not agree more. I wanted to hear about BB Movies and a peek at the BBX phone would have been neat but I agree with you the tools and focus (and by the way the deep understanding Mike displayed on the tech side) on apps was promising.

I also want RIM to succeed and love my BlackBerry Bold 9930 and Playbook.

I second: Come on RIM prove them wrong!
    10-21-11 08:37 AM
    But with Devcon being for developers, how can you REALLY be upset? If it were a conference for the whiney-***, pseudo-fan consumer, maybe they would have shown these devices. Funny though, you all MENTION that you want to see all of this new crap but it won't even cut it.
    Even though it's a developers conference, I think everyone expected to see some type of QNX device and/or OS2 (BBX) demo.. Even Kevin!

http://crackberry.com/rim-precedent-...ds-glass-revie

Also, listen to the podcast.
    10-21-11 09:30 AM
    Am dissapointed

10-21-11 10:26 AM
    From a consumer perspective, RIM set themselves up to deliver in a big way and then popped the balloon that they themselves inflated. We all watch the air/hype/expectations/excitement all trickle out of the balloon. I really thought they would have learned not to set themselves up for failure like they have done so many times in the past but I guess I was wrong.
    10-21-11 10:32 AM
    The word BBX wasn`t even new, it was copyrighted!
    Find a 3 letter acronym that is relevant that's not.
    10-21-11 10:48 AM
    2) "And your using your thumbs to touch the screen??!?!?!?!" <--well yes Mike, have you even picked up a Playbook?
    Lol. Funny.
    10-21-11 10:51 AM
    I wasn't happy. It felt like Christmas the day before. I was thinking I was going to see some BBX. NOPE!

10-21-11 10:53 AM
    The problem is without satisfying the whiney-***, pseudo-fan consumers, there is no platform left to develop for.

At least you can put your apps in the Android Market though.

I may be bailing on the bandwagon, but it doesn't mean I am not hoping RIM surprises me with a comeback. I want nothing more than to own a 9930 with a modern OS and Exchange support. The hardware on that phone is fantastic, but the OS is old, the browser still blows, and there are limited apps. I like the idea of using the Android Market to catch up, but get the damn OS on a mobile device already.
    10-21-11 02:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD