I have an 8310 Curve and want to use it as a basic GPS for hiking/camping in my home country of Great Britain. Just need basic features like the ability to set a STAR/FINISH, waypoints and reverse navigation. Ability to add notes to the waypoints would be useful also.

What software would you suggest for this?
    08-22-08 08:53 AM
    I have an 8310 Curve and want to use it as a basic GPS for hiking/camping in my home country of Great Britain. Just need basic features like the ability to set a STAR/FINISH, waypoints and reverse navigation. Ability to add notes to the waypoints would be useful also.

What software would you suggest for this?
    havent had any feedback or comments on this so I am bumping it in the hope someone will respond.

Cheers
    08-25-08 05:06 PM
    Try to google TrekBuddy. I use it sometimes, its a pretty cool app. It uses preloaded maps, that you will have to load, but the process is pretty easy. The good thing about you preloading the maps is that you dont have to have a signal to download maps like google maps for example. You can also set it to track your route with a little blue line. Im not sure you can add notes though. But if you are looking for an application that will use your devices GPS, this is the one i suggest. PM me if you have any questions! Hope it works for ya!
    Last edited by vinwinjsu5; 08-25-08 at 05:42 PM.
    08-25-08 05:40 PM
    Try to google TrekBuddy. I use it sometimes, its a pretty cool app. It uses preloaded maps, that you will have to load, but the process is pretty easy. The good thing about you preloading the maps is that you dont have to have a signal to download maps like google maps for example. You can also set it to track your route with a little blue line. Im not sure you can add notes though. But if you are looking for an application that will use your devices GPS, this is the one i suggest. PM me if you have any questions! Hope it works for ya!
    This looks like what I need but HOW do I preload the maps?
    08-26-08 02:34 AM
    Click on the the link below and type in the city in which you want, you can move it around to a specific area (a wooded area perhaps), its google maps pretty much. Just one thing, once you type in where you want, DO NOT ZOOM IN OR OUT, i say this because it may look like the map is far away but when you click "preview map" you will see that it is close enough to see the street names but zoomed out far enough to actually see whats around you. Trust me, i did A LOT of trial and error and just tryin to save you the trouble. Anyways, follow the instructions at the bottom of the screen and you are set. When it saves to the computer, unzip it and put the file on your BB (an SD card). Hope this makes sense. If not, just let me know and i will try to explain it again more clearly. Hope it works out for ya!!

gm2tb - GoogleMaps 2 TrekBuddy maps
    08-27-08 06:43 PM
    Click on the the link below and type in the city in which you want, you can move it around to a specific area (a wooded area perhaps), its google maps pretty much. Just one thing, once you type in where you want, DO NOT ZOOM IN OR OUT, i say this because it may look like the map is far away but when you click "preview map" you will see that it is close enough to see the street names but zoomed out far enough to actually see whats around you. Trust me, i did A LOT of trial and error and just tryin to save you the trouble. Anyways, follow the instructions at the bottom of the screen and you are set. When it saves to the computer, unzip it and put the file on your BB (an SD card). Hope this makes sense. If not, just let me know and i will try to explain it again more clearly. Hope it works out for ya!!

gm2tb - GoogleMaps 2 TrekBuddy maps
    Thanks So much for the link and information, this morning I made a whole lot of maps for TrekBuddy and will try them out later today.
    08-28-08 04:21 AM
    Noticed that when U unzip the maps that you create they unzip to several files and then a "SET" folder, do U just copy everything directly to the media card or do U have to create a specific folder structure on the media card?
    08-28-08 04:28 AM
    Noticed that when U unzip the maps that you create they unzip to several files and then a "SET" folder, do U just copy everything directly to the media card or do U have to create a specific folder structure on the media card?
    Just copy the entire folder (Sets and maps) on to the memory card, you will be able to get to the maps once in trekbuddy. I tried to put just the "MAP" folder on my card but it wouldnt let me access the maps, so it needs the entire folder to access everything. Surprisingly, it did not take up as much room on my sd card as i thought it would. Hope everything works out for ya! Let me know how it goes after you use it.
    08-28-08 10:37 AM
    Just copy the entire folder (Sets and maps) on to the memory card, you will be able to get to the maps once in trekbuddy. I tried to put just the "MAP" folder on my card but it wouldnt let me access the maps, so it needs the entire folder to access everything. Surprisingly, it did not take up as much room on my sd card as i thought it would. Hope everything works out for ya! Let me know how it goes after you use it.
    I figured that was the right way to do it so copied it all over. I then went out for a while and was able to pull up my maps in the software but the software really didn't seem to do anything! I created a map of my local area and accessed that in the software and I though that the software would then sue the built-in GPS to show me where I am on the map but it did nothing. Am I misunderstanding the capabilities of the software or have I simply made a mistake with something?
    08-28-08 10:42 AM
    Oh no, no mistake. Just hit "Menu" then hit "Start". That will prompt it to start your GPS. Just give it a few seconds and it will lock on your location.
    08-28-08 10:44 AM
    Oh no, no mistake. Just hit "Menu" then hit "Start". That will prompt it to start your GPS. Just give it a few seconds and it will lock on your location.
    OOPS that is the ONE step I did not take LOL!
    08-28-08 10:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD