05-28-08 12:11 AM
- Off means completely silent. The profiles have nothing to do with how people hear you on the phone. Profiles control ringtones etc.
May I also suggest putting all of your questions in one thread as well? Swamping the board with new threads for every question may not be something the mods approve of.05-17-08 09:52 PM
- MsmariCrackBerry MasterIts your ringers. How do you want to set them. So you can set them in different ways. Lets say ur home you dont need to have them in loud you can just set them to normal. Its also good because it lets you have diffent profiles for each setting. Like text, pics, messenger, email, etc.05-17-08 09:53 PM
- For instance, what I use:
Loud - for when it's in my purse.
Normal - for any situation other than it's in my purse but I can have a ringer
Off - for when it's on my desk at work on (when we are not to have cell phones in the office lol)
Vibrate - exactly what it sounds like
I don't use Phone only, but that's only going to go off when you get a call, SMS or other messages would be silent.05-17-08 09:55 PM
- What I can't find in Search I ask here, which is what it's for, by the way. I got weary with that PDF Manual, it's not much better than the one that came with the phone. (You'd think people in the communication business could write a good manual, but it looks like those days are over).
Thanks, reeneebob, and Msmari, you made it understandable!05-17-08 10:05 PM
- DId you go to the Blackberry 101 link I provided in one of your other threads?
I would do that. It really will answer most questions.
All I meant was, keep asking any extra questions, but do it all in the same thread. That's already 5 threads in a very short time, and the mods don't usually like that. You can simply post a reply to an existing thread with any additional questions you run into.05-17-08 10:17 PM
- The reason I ask a new question is because I don't want it buried in a thread that discusses a different topic. I have a lot of questions but found the online Manual difficult not just because it was hard to navigate, not as easy as most pdf docs, but it's answers weren't complete and left me hanging.
I'm taking my left-over questions to the Verizon store on Monday. I can't for the life of me actually understand the "Profiles". I need a 'new' dictionary. On my previous phones they didn't call people and alarms, 'loud', etc, 'profiles', they just had a 'settings' button that made it all easy. When I click on one of my 'contacts' in the profiles list and then 'menu' it doesn't give me any viable choices. It doesn't help that I can't get my phone off vibrate. I can't get it to just RING! And it's not set on vibrate. And it doesn't help that they call standby, mute. I think of mute as 'silent', not a battery-saving option. As you can see, I'm ready to tear my hair out. I'm truly beginning to think that it wasn't enough for Blackberry to make a good phone, they also had to change the English language, and make things not so common-sensey anymore. On all my other phones, how to do the functions just made sense. This one doesn't. Anyhow, I need to just put the phone away til Monday, huh.05-17-08 10:30 PM
- CB, if you're holding out hope for a vzw store, don't. I was in my local recently to get some BB bling and had to show 2 different folk how to clear their memory and set pics to go to their cards. The best way to figure out the profiles is by changing the settings and calling your berry from your house phone. Get it working as a phone first, then stretch on out to messaging and data.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com05-17-08 10:40 PM
- Profiles is a fancy "ringtone" section. Instead of just setting the ringtone you set the tone/sound for incoming calls, SMS, BlackBerry Messenger messages, email notifications, etc.
In vibrate, all of your notifications just vibrate. You can set the number of vibrations.
In phone only, everything is set to off except incoming phone calls.
In loud everything is set to ring or buzz LOUDLY!
All of the profiles are totally customizanle' and you can even create your own from scratch. I created one called "personal day" where everything except my work emails is on and my calendar is quieter than normal!
You will learn much about your blackberry as you use it! Throw the .pdf file in your trash and just play with it! You'll pick it up quickly!!
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com05-17-08 11:04 PM
- Honestly, and don't take this wrong, but the BB is very common sense. This is my first ever smartphone but within half an hour I was cruising on it, because it's very common sense the way things are laid out. I still have not read the manual, all answers were pretty much covered in the Blackberry 101 article (which I did provide a link for, but as of yet you have not said you READ it) and anything else, I googled.
You need to read the articles we are suggesting. So far you are only referring to the PDF manual and posting new threads. We are more than happy to help but it gets frustrating when we ask you a question for clarification or post a link to something that will help and it gets ignored, and all we get back is "This phone is so stupid I don't understand RIM hates me!!!!1111!1!"
Have you read the Blackberry 101 FAQ?
If you want it off Vibrate? Go to profiles, scroll to the bottom of the menu, select advanced, select phone and change the settings off vibrate. It truly is not difficult.
I will even add the link again, in this thread, so you will be able to read it.
BlackBerry 101 How-To Lecture Series | CrackBerry.com
Last edited by reeneebob; 05-17-08 at 11:09 PM.05-17-08 11:05 PM
- From that Blackberry 101 page in the link I gave, here is a direct link to how to customize your profiles and changing vibrate etc.
BlackBerry 101: How to Download and Install Ringtones on your BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com05-17-08 11:18 PM
- I finally figured out how to make my phone ring, right after talking about it with my daughter. But actually, compared to how easy it is on other phones, it's hard. Once you learn all the many many steps then you might say it's not hard, because you finally, eventually, learned how to do it.
I never said...."This phone is so stupid I don't understand RIM hates me!!!!1111!1!" In fact, the phone isn't stupid, probably just the people who put it together.
No, I hadn't read 101, but just the pdf, and it wouldn't scroll right so I couldn't get to say, page 214 easily, the scroll thing kept jumping like electricity was striking it and it was taking too long to get it to get to the pages I needed. Anyhow, I appreciate your giving the link to 101 again and I'll definitely read it.
Oh for just one more gripe. I hate it that it says I have nothing in the address book when I do. I haven't noticed the word "contacts" spoken of, so I'm trying to figure out what word Blackberry invented for one's people calling list.
Okay, I'm out of here. I do appreciate your helping me. One of these days I'll be back helping others, and you can bet I'm going to sympathize with them too, telling them to hang in there, or maybe get another phone?05-17-08 11:30 PM
- Thanks, reeneebob, I just bookmarked the pages and put them in my favorites folder so I can get there quickly tomorrow. The ringtones were the easiest thing I found to do on this phone. I just need to find some louder ones. Thanks again and rest easy tonight, I won't bug this forum for at least 15 hours. Actually I've got a sort of tech savvy friend coming to visit tomorrow, and she's going to help me too.05-18-08 12:02 AM
- Good to hear.
A co worker was the one who made me go get the Pearl, she has not been to this site, and because of CB I am now schooling her on how to use her phone and tweak it to run smoothly, and she's had it longer AND has an Uncle in R&D at RIM lol...if she gets a bold before me I will kill her.
This site is more useful than any PDF - trust me.
A couple of weeks from now you'll read this thread again and wonder how you ever were so lost.
And welcome to CB!05-18-08 12:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD