I know I'm probably blind, but I can't find a discussion about the different types of messages. I know what email is, but what are MMS and SMS - I'd like to know the difference between the two.. I started wondering when writing directions for sending pictures in MMS and I saw the send picture option was not available in SMS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-08 07:00 PM
    SMS is short message, pretty much a regular text.

MMS is a media message, attach pics, tones, and vids, plus if allows you more characters in the text portion.

07-04-08 07:05 PM
    Short and sweet version - SMS is text only and MMS is text, pictures and audio

07-04-08 07:05 PM
    SMS is text. MMS will require a data plan. Depending on your carrier and plan, they may be billed separately.
    07-04-08 07:54 PM
    SMS is text. MMS will require a data plan. Depending on your carrier and plan, they may be billed separately.
    I don't know about all carriers, but I know that MMS messages are included in texting plans with Verizon, At&t and Alltel. Never actually heard of a data plan being a requirement to be honest.
    07-04-08 08:16 PM
    You may be right. I'm with Verizon, but my 8830 doesn't have MMS, and my employer pays for the plan, so I don't know for sure.

07-04-08 08:22 PM
    With TMo I have a data plan and what they call a message value bundle that includes unlimited MMS and SMS - the BB add on is, I think, the data plan that includes the email options that BB is famous for.

The email options are fantastic. Work/personal it is very handy. Anyway, I was curious about how the MMS and SMS worked. With the unlimited, I'm not sure how pricing works for more limited plans.

07-04-08 08:52 PM
    There are text only plans, but is only offered to business customers as a lot of employers do not want their employees with camera phones nor the ability to have picture messaging.

On the consumer side, the plans are all inclusive and require at least a pay per use internet feature. There are probably lines that bypassed the system and don't have internet PPU, but is normally required. A lot of Smartphone users do not notice that it is required because they normally have a PDA/Smartphone data plan.
    07-04-08 08:59 PM
    I think I've got a handle on how it works. My Nextel work phone has some email and text capability, but work doesn't pay for that or a data plan. They gave us supervisors unlimited walkie-talkie and dialing. They don't want us browsing. But they do want to get a hold of me 24/7 & and I want to get a hold of my crews in the field. My Nextel does have a 5MPXL camera that takes pretty good pics.

Unfortunately for them, I now only carry the work phone when I'm actually on call. The BB has spoiled me so much that I stopped using my wrok phone as my regular cell. But that leads me back to the original question, I haven't had exposure to MMS or SMS because they weren't an option I could use on the work phone.

Any idea how MMS and SMS make their way across the radio waves/internet? I'm just curious and not trying to be dense, lol.

07-05-08 01:19 AM
    07-05-08 01:54 AM
    Lazy me followed the links and learned a ton! I had no idea 2.4 billion people use SMS! Thanks Jayden. Maybe I need a break. It's pretty bad when I forget to look at non-crackberry sites for answers, lol.

07-05-08 04:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD