is it only for fellow BB users? or a full replacement for texting?
    if so, what are the incentives?
    12-21-15 11:39 PM
    Once upon a time there were so many BlackBerry users that BBM was great and it was BlackBerry to BlackBerry user. It saved money when texting internationally for example. In the mid 2000's I kept in touch with a lot of people outside the US. And even in the US SMS was expensive on a lot of plans.

BBM could have been an alternative to SMS on all platforms but they came to the game too late. By then Apple had a huge number of people who were using imessage the way we used to use BBM. And WhatsApp (and others) best BlackBerry to the cross platform app.

I think BBM still has a chance to be everyone's favorite messenger but John Chen loves to try to make people pay money for things that would have attracted people to the platform. Video calling. Stickers. Message retraction. Ad removal. Had he given BBM to the masses fully functional and customizable there may still have been a chance.

Coulda woulda shoulda is the recurring theme of BBM and of BlackBerry in general. That and a stubborn CEO and culture of not paying attention to what is going on in the world. BBM is about Dead now.

It's a great app. Use video calling with my wife all the time but I guess that's over now when she opens her new Note 5 on Christmas day.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2876 / T-Mobile USA
    JeepBB and Tatwi like this.
    12-21-15 11:50 PM
    It uses data and so can be used over wifi in places where cell coverage is bad or nonexistent. Texting needs voice service.

Also bbm shows you that your message a) made it to the receivers phone and b) got read.

With texting delivery confirmation is dependent on the carriers support as I understand it and therfore can't be relied upon when cross carrier.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-22-15 01:08 AM
    Wasn't BBM running through BIS BlackBerry servers encrypted?

Posted via CB10
    12-22-15 02:02 AM
    is it only for fellow BB users? or a full replacement for texting?
    if so, what are the incentives?
    As has been said above, there are several advantages that come with the use of BBM... but it's only between phones with BBM installed, which until recently has been BB phones only.

As there are fewer and fewer people with a BB phone, the BBM advantage has diminished.

BB have now released BBM for Android and iOS (which was originally JimB's plan which MikeL wouldn't let happen), and means that BBM is now cross-platform. However BBM on non-BB phones is a lesser product, and there is little incentive for iOS/Android users to switch to BBM because all their friends are on WhatsApp etc.

BB was late to the party with a cross-platform messenger, and WA, Twitter, etc now eat the multi-million dollar lunch that could have been BB's for the taking.
    12-22-15 02:05 AM
    Wasn't BBM running through BIS BlackBerry servers encrypted?

Posted via CB10
    More like like scrambled in that all consumer BIS BBM messages share the same key. As I understand it. On a BES the messages would be strongly encrypted and the encryption would vary.

Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    12-22-15 02:14 AM
    The popularity of BBM has completely diminished. Blame it on any number of reasons. It's still a very useful and feature-rich messaging app.

I have 3 basic points of contact for messaging:

Email: "I'll get to it when I get to it."

Text Message: "I'll get to it when I get to it but you should be able to expect that I will reply soon."

And BBM: "You can already see that I've read your message and also that I am typing a reply right now."

Because of BBM's dwindled user base, I only have a few contacts on there. However, they aren't random people that I don't know or hardly talk to - quite the opposite! They are my family and closest friends (mostly because they are the ones who were willing to give BBM a try with my persuasion) which makes it that much better quality of an app for me. The people on my BBM are the closest people in my life. If I'm not talking to them in person or on the phone, we are chatting on BBM. There is no better messenger out there in my opinion.

Did you ever have MSN Messenger back in the day? It's like that but for your phone.
    12-22-15 02:33 AM
    I find that the BBM voice calling is clearer than using the regular cell phone calling. Having the bbm received and read notification is great. I got my girlfriend an inexpensive Q5 for the video calling feature alone. It works great but only between BlackBerry phones.

The problem is that bbm does use data if you are not in a WiFi zone. That is why most of my messaging is still the simple sms text message which is effectively free in Canada with any carrier plan.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-15 06:49 AM
    Most of my relatives, all my family members, a quite a few of my friends, use BBM in my area. I hardly ever text.

  
    12-22-15 10:57 AM
    Yup. Bbm is my go to for personal communications with those closest to me. The calling and the video chat for bb10 users is gold!
    12-22-15 12:24 PM
    Love BBM. Prefer it over everything else.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-15 12:40 PM
    I find that the BBM voice calling is clearer than using the regular cell phone calling.
    With a good data connection on both ends that should be the case.

My wife and I both have HD calling on Verizon though. So when we talk to one another the audio is superb and just as good as BBM voice. I think it's VoLTE. And that's using the standard cell calling. Once everyone has that then then apps like BBM won't have better voice quality.

12-22-15 03:20 PM
    If I talk to you a lot you have to have BBM. I'm not dealing with text messaging. It is awful.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-15 03:38 PM
    BBM was fantastic back in the day.

Back then I didn't have unlimited texting.
    I didn't have long distance calling.
    I paid for picture messaging.
    Instagram didn't exist and BBM was a cool way to share pics and have a mini private profile.
    It was one of the earliest to show when a message was sent, delivered and read.
    Also it was safe seeing as you only had pins and bar codes didn't have to exchange numbers and if someone really wasn't pleasant you could simply block them and be done.

Plus it was built into the phone and unlimited. Loved it.

Posted via CB10
    bp2k7 likes this.
    12-23-15 04:07 PM
    Essentially, what BBM has become is just an alternative to the common and well known mobile instant messaging platforms, namely WhatsApp and iMessage.

I don't see a clear advantage over any other platform, but each has its own perks and everyone has his personal preferences.

Now that most of those messengers are playing more or less in the same league in terms of functionality and stability, market share mostly comes down to regional distribution. WhatsApp is in fact so dominant that it's difficult to win over users to BBM, after all, there's no reason to switch for most people.

For my part, I use BBM because I own a BlackBerry and I find the messenger to be pretty cool in its overall appearance. Actually, some of my close friends use BBM so I have a few contacts and even use it more often than other messengers. However, from an objective point of view, I wouldn't be able to name any real incentives to switch for anyone who's happy with WhatsApp.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-15 04:33 PM
    SMS is archaic and lame. Sometimes people send me lengthy texts, and they often show up in a ridiculous order, not to mention I have to wait for them to individually show up. For example, it will say 1/7 texts, and the order will be something like 1,2,4,3,5,6,7. Plus, sms doesn't support any special characters like the ones used in foreign languages (example: the n with the ~ over it used in Spanish).
    12-23-15 04:44 PM
    SMS is archaic and lame. Sometimes people send me lengthy texts, and they often show up in a ridiculous order, not to mention I have to wait for them to individually show up. For example, it will say 1/7 texts, and the order will be something like 1,2,4,3,5,6,7. Plus, sms doesn't support any special characters like the ones used in foreign languages (example: the n with the ~ over it used in Spanish).
    SMS still serves a purpose. Say, for instance, I am talking to someone who is more of an acquaintance than a personal friend but I need to send them a small piece of information. A text message is perfect for that. I don't even need to add the person as a contact but I am able to send them an address, phone number, or website, etc and they have it in writing - no need for them to pull out a notepad on their end.

For ongoing conversation however, I much prefer dedicated messenger programs, namely BBM, to texting.
    Tatwi likes this.
    12-23-15 05:39 PM
    Like the bird dog, I use BBM for my closest of friends and family. All the rest use whatsapp or Facebook messenger (the latter I do not use) . Best thing is that it doesn't require a phone number or other social apps and runs on Android and iOS too. Downside is it is a bit cumbersome to install.

I use the BBM voice to call when I'm roaming (which is really often) . It is crystal clear. Superb.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-15 05:52 PM

SMS has its uses and not everyone uses IM. Also when also fails SMS is something to fall back on.
    12-23-15 07:44 PM
    Me and my wife use BBM
    I set up a grocery list group, that way it's on both of our phones If either one of us adds a new item it's automatically there on both phones and you can check things off the list that shows up also. And if one of stops somewhere on the way home from work to get an item on the list we don't end buying the same items twice.

I'm also working on building an e commerce website with my nephew and we created a group on BBM so we can keep track of our ideas and to do lists. Post pictures of ideas and so forth we both can comment and it's always there for both of to see , and it's been a big help

BBM has so many uses that I'm surprised more business are not using it.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-15 08:25 PM
    I don't know anybody who uses a messaging platform other than SMS/texting/iMessage. I suppose I do use FB Messenger to keep up with a couple foreign friends. For reference, we're all American millennial young professionals. None of us use WhatsApp, BBM, etc. Most of us used BBM a bit back in 2008-9 when we were just starting out in our careers and had BlackBerrys, but everyone has moved on and we don't see any need to use a separate app that has only marginal benefits over texting.

12-24-15 01:04 AM
    So how is Whatsapp and BBM just a marginal upgrade from SMS and yet iMessage is so wonderful? Just wondering.

I agree that most people I know just text (sms). That is because it is simple, unlimited, cross platform and free with any carrier plan. I use sms 90% of the time and BBM 10%. BBM is one slick tool however.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-15 06:53 AM
    Well rumour has it that Whatsapp is launching video chat, something BlackBerry was to launch 2 years ago on bbm.

BlackBerry takes so much stock in bbm and I love it, but they aren't keeping up with the big boys anymore. If you want to monetize you need to add more features!

PayPal was cool addition but it is not something many will use.

Google is building a new messenger app with built in AI. While I have no use for it, for people looking for a new messenger, this might be their thing.

BlackBerry needs to launch video chat, improve group features and needs to push bbm channels into the webspace so you can interact with it outside of bbm i.e. link to a channel via Twitter insta etc..

BlackBerry please for the love of mobile stop dropping the ball and step up the game!
    12-24-15 08:25 AM
    I video call with bbm for some time now and it works great. Not cross platform yet, but neither is imessage.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-15 09:58 AM
    Once upon a time there were so many BlackBerry users that BBM was great and it was BlackBerry to BlackBerry user. It saved money when texting internationally for example. In the mid 2000's I kept in touch with a lot of people outside the US. And even in the US SMS was expensive on a lot of plans.

BBM could have been an alternative to SMS on all platforms but they came to the game too late. By then Apple had a huge number of people who were using imessage the way we used to use BBM. And WhatsApp (and others) best BlackBerry to the cross platform app.

I think BBM still has a chance to be everyone's favorite messenger but John Chen loves to try to make people pay money for things that would have attracted people to the platform. Video calling. Stickers. Message retraction. Ad removal. Had he given BBM to the masses fully functional and customizable there may still have been a chance.

Coulda woulda shoulda is the recurring theme of BBM and of BlackBerry in general. That and a stubborn CEO and culture of not paying attention to what is going on in the world. BBM is about Dead now.

It's a great app. Use video calling with my wife all the time but I guess that's over now when she opens her new Note 5 on Christmas day.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2876 / T-Mobile USA
    There was a point down here in South Africa where people bought BBs plainly for BBM and the BIS with its brilliant flat rate for "unlimited internet".

BB due to BIS connected many on the African continent for the first time to the internet and gave them a brilliant chat app, BBM, at the same time, and thanks to phones like the 8520 Curve that was available at such low prices (sometimes less than some big name feature phones), many could afford it. BlackBerry literally had the ingredients to 'connect the next billion', and then they shutdown BIS and ruined it all for themselves.

Had they kept BIS going, BBM would still be huge and would without a doubt have been the number IM app, heck they could have introduced banking with BIS with the guy who built Mpesa, BB was sitting on a gold mine with BBM and BIS, at least from the Developing Economies e.g. SA, Kenya, Brazil, Philippines etc...
    Doggerz likes this.
    12-24-15 11:57 AM
27 12