Hey Guys-

I was curious the other day about what exactly makes a smart phone "smart"?

The majority of answers I got where along the lines of, "Smart phones are defined differently according to manufacturers." OR "Smart phones are characterized by the ability to run separate programs simultaneously."

So can we get a discussion going over what makes a smart phone smart?

I'd like to hear your input!
    05-18-08 01:10 PM
    Pretty sure....
    A smartphone has many different features, including: PIM organization and syncing. Email abilities, SMS/MMS/phone, calendar and task management, along with a larger, candybar style, and some kind of qwerty keyboard, full, suretype, or anything similar
    05-18-08 01:20 PM
    Any device that has the word "BlackBerry" printed on it.
    05-18-08 01:29 PM
    Any device that has the word "BlackBerry" printed on it.
    I couldn't have said it any better!
    05-18-08 02:03 PM
    I couldn't have said it any better!
    Ya +1 on that
    05-18-08 02:16 PM
    And this thread is over!

+1
    05-18-08 02:19 PM
    Smartphone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Wikipedia agrees with us. There is a picture of a Blackberry and none of the iBrick.
    05-18-08 02:34 PM
    The lines between "smart" and "dumb" phones is blurring on a daily basis honestly. It used to be a smartphone was one that had PIM, web, and email capabilities. Nowadays though, almost all phones from your common and free flipphone to the most powerful mobile device on the market offer almost all of these features. I think it is now that the "smartphones" just do them better and that is what makes them "smart."

My personal opinion is that the term will disappear over the next few years as the dividing line becomes even more transparent.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-08 02:41 PM
    Yea the blackberry is a smartphone, I think we ALL know that.

When one thinks of smartphone normally a BB comes to mind-

Just as the iPod becoming synonymous with mp3 player.

I was really hoping for real answers besides the OVERLY scripted and HIGHLY predictable "anything with blackberry printed on it".

And cjcarbone, if "candybar style" phones are vital to being a smartphone, is RIM interested in not making a smartphone in the future?

::Thinks back to that kickstart monstrosity or whatever the thing was called::

I want an honest discussion, not a, "Blackberry Constitutes a Smartphone." answer.
    05-18-08 02:56 PM
    Umm... Not for nothing, but you were answered a few times and were given a link to a Wikipedia article on the subject, what more do you want?

And Pete6, there is a picture of the iPhone, err, as you put it, "IBrick," in that article.....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-08 03:32 PM
    There are numerous writeups, etc. that attempt to answer that question. Search for "smartphones" in any search engine and pick an article and just read.

Recently, I wrote an article trying to answer just that question...

Across the Digital Divide
    05-18-08 03:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD