Since there are several topics around this subject, I am interested to hear some view points on security.

Please try to keep it device agnostic.

Since many of us are already on the 'third platform' and security is being mentioned many times, I would like to know what all of you mean when talking about it.

The 'third Platform' is Data living in the 'Cloud', where you are able to access all your emails, documents, pictures and films from any device.

What are the requirements for you to feel secure when everything you have written down, done, said and seen is spread around the internet.

The only place where you don't have access to all your information is in a remote location without internet?

What would constitute security in such a world?

For many of us it has already become reality. Either in their private life or at work

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 05:18 PM
    Before this discussion starts people should really try to differentiate between security and privacy. Since Google is the most given example for this i will exemplify this with them:
    - security = no unauthorized person can access data.
    - privacy = your info is stored and used for certain tasks,

In this case, for most intents and purposes, Google services are secure (very few security incidents over the years), but privacy ma be an issue for some people.
    03-19-15 05:22 PM
    To add to that: I am selling IT security for a living.

@ the post above me: It is about both. You cannot walk around naked and expect that nobody sees your -aptly called- 'private parts'

If the data would be encrypted by a key, only you possess and your info would be exchanged as as meaningless credentials, just letting them know what you can do on their services; wouldn't it be secure and private?

Your information would need to be somewhere else, though.
    Somewhere you trust that they will not be used without your knowledge or consent.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 05:38 PM
    I, personally, don't use the cloud. I prefer to have all my information in my possession. The best solution, in my opinion, is to have a drive at home, or office as it were, with a secure tunnel between authorized devices.
    muellerto likes this.
    03-19-15 07:21 PM
    To add to that: I am selling IT security for a living.

@ the post above me: It is about both. You cannot walk around naked and expect that nobody sees your -aptly called- 'private parts'

If the data would be encrypted by a key, only you possess and your info would be exchanged as as meaningless credentials, just letting them know what you can do on their services; wouldn't it be secure and private?

Your information would need to be somewhere else, though.
    Somewhere you trust that they will not be used without your knowledge or consent.

Posted via CB10
    Oh I agree that both would be desirable, I just posted that because the words security and privacy get thrown around here and some people don't know the difference.
    03-20-15 03:31 AM