Anyone know this? Where are they located? Company name? Any other info?

Thanks!
    Last edited by kfh227; 02-03-13 at 10:58 PM.
    02-03-13 10:03 PM
    Looks like some Taiwanese companies, at least for the early batch of devices. I kind of thought they'd be using Quanta but they're not listed at the link.

Taiwan Manufacturers Start Working on BlackBerry 10 Production - BerryReview
    kfh227 likes this.
    02-03-13 10:07 PM
    Mike,
    Thanks!

I'll say why I'm interested also. As an investor, I am interested in seeing if I can deduce how many Z10s could theoretically be made in a month. If anyone has info on this, I'd appreciate it. Of course, I request concrete info, not articles that are guesses unless those guesses are really estimates based on known data.

Thanks!

EDIT: Long shot, e-mailed Wistron about capacity of items. Did not mention Z10 specifically.
    02-03-13 10:17 PM
    I saw a Z10 at the Bell booth in Ontario.
    I specifically asked the sales rep where it was manufactured.
    He wasn't sure so we looked over the packaging and it said made in MEXICO.
    FYI, my Playbook says made it Taiwan, My Storm says made in CANADA!

I know that RIM was using Celestica, which has plants in Toronto and Mexico to name a few, but Celestica announced back in June that they would no longer be manufacturing for RIM.
    Initially the announcement was made to sound that Celestica was dumping RIM, but in all likelihood it was probably RIM that dumped Celestica.
    Celestica can manufacture good quality electronic assemblies, but their costs and surcharges are extremely high.
    Too high for consumer products with high volumes where pricing is an issue.
    Celestica is more suited for medical and military where pricing is not such a big issue.
    I have dealt with Celestica and I wouldn't be surprised if RIM could get a price 25%-40% lower from other manufactures that could provide similar quality.
    Last edited by domcel; 02-03-13 at 10:41 PM.
    kfh227 likes this.
    02-03-13 10:25 PM
    Multiple sources say that Wistron is doing final assembly. If Wistron has a plant in Mexico, that would prove it. If not, I need to start this search all over again.

EDIT: Well that took 5 seconds. Thank you google. Yes, Wistron has atleast one plant in Mexico.
    02-03-13 10:38 PM
    Mike,
    Thanks!

I'll say why I'm interested also. As an investor, I am interested in seeing if I can deduce how many Z10s could theoretically be made in a month. If anyone has info on this, I'd appreciate it. Of course, I request concrete info, not articles that are guesses unless those guesses are really estimates based on known data.

Thanks!

EDIT: Long shot, e-mailed Wistron about capacity of items. Did not mention Z10 specifically.
    I read somewhere here recently that they had a capacity of 2m units a month.
    02-03-13 10:40 PM
    Time for me to go to bed.

Early guess: Wistron is a HUGE comapny. I think it could scale up from 2 million phones per month to 20 million phones per month. I don't know how long it would take to do that though. I also have not looked into their supply chain. But in time, I think the sky is the limit. Short term, I have no idea though. Assuming that RIMM had internal estimates for demand that dictated 2 million per month, I could only assume that they have contingency plans for 1 million/month and 4 million/month.

I'd say RIMM BBRY could easily put out 30 million phones this year. If they make $100 per phone, that is $100 million in FCF per million phones. Having said this, I think RIMM could take Free Cash Flow to $3 billion. Oh boy, this is getting good. This is all back of napkin stuff so take it with a grain of salt. So, under this scenario, it should have a market cap of $33 billion ($3B*10 + $3B). The factor of 10 is a back of the napkin thing. The $3B is cash (since there is no debt). Given shares outstanding, we're looking at $66/share. Simple math: Add/Subtract $2/share for each 1 million phones sold. 20 million phones => $46/share. 40 million phones => $86/share. 50 million phones => $106/share.... etc

Thing is, that 10 multiple could be 15 if people start viewing RIM BBRY as "growth stock". So, best case, let's say they sell 50 million phones:
    $5B in FCF
    15 multiple
    $3B in cash (good enough for now granted this would grow under the current scenario)
    $5*15+$3 = $78B market cap. That's $156 per share!

Oh, starting to see why BBRY traded at an all time high of $144 when it had $1B in FCF and negligible debt? People viewed it as a "growth stock" granted $144/share was way too optimistic.
    Last edited by kfh227; 02-03-13 at 10:58 PM.
    02-03-13 10:45 PM
    I read somewhere here recently that they had a capacity of 2m units a month.
    The current manufacturing rate is 1-2 million per month. It's a vague number (probably to hide info from Apple, Samsung and Google) understandably. I'm curious as to where that number can go and how quickly.
    02-03-13 10:56 PM
    I honestly thought that just by the title of your thread that you were trying to be a sarcastic ******, or as my local McCaf� says, douch�. I was like "here's another person complaining that they didn't understand the commercial..." Anywho I see where it went and I learned some info too thanks for posting!
    02-04-13 01:31 AM