Im going to be getting my new bb curve 8310 tomorrow. I dont know if i want to shell out the extra 30 bucks on and unlimited data plan or just stick with unlimited text. I figured if i had unlimited data why would i need unlimited text. But to make my decision easier i was wondering what i could do with unlimited data, what apps i should get or just what super cool things i can do with that plan like downloads and such to fully maximize the use i can get with it. i would be using it mostly for multimedia but also for aim and gmail let me know what your opinions are. thanks
    04-27-08 06:40 PM
    Answer is - everything.

You can browse, send emails, IM, use applications that are data enabled (GoogleMaps, Viigo, etc) as much as you like.

As for unlimited messaging, if you IM a lot - try JiveTalk - it uses data not text messages - so w/ unlimited data you can IM til your heart's content!

I know a lot of people who try the Unlimited Data for a month & realize they can't live without it! A Blackberry's full capabilities & use just aren't achieved without one.

04-27-08 06:45 PM
    If you text a lot you'll still want unlimited text as well unless you use jive talk or other such data apps. But straight sms or mms you need a text plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-08 06:54 PM
    Answer is - everything.

You can browse, send emails, IM, use applications that are data enabled (GoogleMaps, Viigo, etc) as much as you like.

As for unlimited messaging, if you IM a lot - try JiveTalk - it uses data not text messages - so w/ unlimited data you can IM til your heart's content!

I know a lot of people who try the Unlimited Data for a month & realize they can't live without it! A Blackberry's full capabilities & use just aren't achieved without one.

thats my girl, i couldn't have said it better.
    04-27-08 06:55 PM
    You'll also need data to take advantage of apps like google maps that use GPS.
    04-27-08 06:58 PM
    Im going to be getting my new bb curve 8310 tomorrow. I dont know if i want to shell out the extra 30 bucks on and unlimited data plan or just stick with unlimited text. I figured if i had unlimited data why would i need unlimited text. But to make my decision easier i was wondering what i could do with unlimited data, what apps i should get or just what super cool things i can do with that plan like downloads and such to fully maximize the use i can get with it. i would be using it mostly for multimedia but also for aim and gmail let me know what your opinions are. thanks
    i have the unlimited text and since i have that i use jivetalk to IM when i'm close to wi-fi so i wont get charge for data.
    04-27-08 07:23 PM
    I wouldn't have gotten a BB if I didn't have the data plan... it is almost pointless without it. I have the unlimited text too, texting is so easy with the BB, I do it a lot more now.
    04-27-08 07:32 PM
    I would strongly recommend unlimited texts also
    Why don't you try the data for a month and if ya don't like it turn it off. (I had a pearl before and I got data the first month, but the small screen and crappy little keyboard wasn't worth paying for it, so I had it taken off - it said "data connection refused" for 6 months on the top of the screen)

04-28-08 12:11 AM
    Dude, I get 4 MB a month for $25. To hear you say you can get Unlimited Data for $30 makes me weep.
    04-28-08 01:18 AM
    Once you try having a data plan and have apps that you love and use all the time, it will be really really hard to cancel the data plan.

04-28-08 01:33 AM
    Try it for a month, if you don't like it then cancel it.
    04-28-08 01:52 AM
    I wouldn't have it any other way, jivetalk is up 24/7 same with viigo.. The two of them alone almost make it worth it imho.. It doesn't end there though this message itself is via my data.. I have the ftp client from rovemobile to download media to and from my berry while on the road..

04-28-08 02:04 AM
    You can have the world in the palm of your hand.

Need directions? Install Googlemaps or Telenav (I recently downloaded)
    Need news/sports/blog feeds? Download Viigo.
    Need to surf the internet? Use the BB browser or get OperaMini.
    Push email? Check!
    A decent camera? Actually one of the better camera on the market for phones in the U.S.
    Alarm? I use it and hear it better than my clock radio.
    04-28-08 03:29 AM
    Well if you want to be like all the cool kids and stream media using orb. I would certainly recommend a unlimited data plan. You will be amazed how fast you will eat up bandwidth messing around with your new toy.

04-28-08 07:23 AM
    thanks guys you were amazingly helpful and quick to reply. I appreciate all your help. I think im going to try the data thanks a lot .
    04-28-08 07:34 AM
    You also get to use the BBM

04-28-08 07:57 AM
    MMHMM Oh jee you have to have at least ten char.
    04-28-08 06:29 PM
    This made me call Bell today and upgrade my data. Now I get a whopping 8MB per month for $40. *urp*

BELL GET UNLIMITED DATA!!!
    04-28-08 06:34 PM
    Unlimited data is the way to go. Keeps you from having a $1000.00 bill every month...
    04-28-08 06:35 PM
    If I paid per kb of data that I use on my $19.99 unlimited, I'd be in the $1000+ range monthly. You don't think you need it, but once you have it, you'll be an addict! In addition to Google Maps, Viigo, JiveTalk, BBM, there's also TinyTwitter and Facebook.
    04-28-08 08:29 PM
    IMO getting the curve without a data plan is a waste of money. Buying an over priced phone and not getting the bang for your buck.

Unlimited data without a question!
    05-03-08 02:46 PM
    I have to say that I'm still not quite sure I am getting $30/month worth out of my system so maybe I did buy an overpriced "system."

By system I mean the BB and the data plan. After rebates, discounts and re-upping, the phone was only $99.00 so I am not sure that phone was overpriced - I wanted a qwerty device and the BB seemed fine. I had the older Verizon "web" and thought that would be sufficient and it was only $5.00/month.

So I have to up my usage to get $30.00 per month out of it.
    05-03-08 05:29 PM
    For those T-mo users, T-mo offers email only plan for $9.99, that still allows you to use BBM and almost everything that is not web based. if you're not into surfing on your phone. I'm only bumping this thread because I am contiplating wether I need the full data plan as I do find myself needing directions at times (google maps would come in handy).

Luigi
    06-18-08 04:25 PM
    Well you can't even buy a bb without a data plan anyway. With Verizon I could have got a limited days plan for 25 a month and unlimited for 30. Can you guess what I chose?

06-18-08 07:10 PM
    as most ppl have already posted...a unlim data plan is a MUST w/ a BB!!!
    06-18-08 07:13 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD