So I got the 8530 through Verizon and hooked it up to my WiFi network. Can all data go through Wifi? I notice BBM is still going through the phone network while downloading apps seems to be going through Wifi. Is there a list of what can and what can not be done via wifi?
    11-25-09 01:48 PM
    I'd like to know this as well. IF the download and web pages are going over my WiFi, I'm not at all impressed with the speed.
    11-25-09 05:16 PM
    Most RIM data apps use BIS over phone network and don't use WiFi.
    11-25-09 05:57 PM
    Gmail app uses data over phone network when connecting to mail servers

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-09 06:25 PM
    Speed on my wifi slow too

11-26-09 09:48 AM
    All data should go through the wifi network when connected to it. To test this, turn off you cellular antenna (menu > manage connections) and keep the wifi on. You should still have access to all data apps except those that exclude wifi (i.e. BeeJive can work on BIS only).

You have to remember that this is a smart phone and not a pc. Wifi speed is limited to the processors ability to resolve the data.
    11-26-09 10:04 AM
    ...To test this, turn off you cellular antenna (menu > manage connections) and keep the wifi on....
    This is the best way to find out. BIS will deliver email over WiFi and you can use the BB browser over WiFi. If you leave the cellular radio on, you might have to go to BB Browser Options and select HotSpot browser instead of Internet Browser to force WiFi use.
    11-26-09 12:52 PM
    I turned of my fone service today and connected to wifi.
    Wht I tried and work was the BB messenger, Yahoo messenger and Browser.

11-26-09 07:10 PM
    I was told that any services that go through RIM and not your service provider will work over wifi when you have your network turned off. Also, that your network will always take priority over wifi when you have them both turned on. I'm not sure if you can change the priorities on that or not, without turning off your network and just using wifi.
    I am currently in Canada (I'm on TMo so I'm roaming) and have my network turned off most of the time, relying strictly on wifi unless I go out of the apt. BBM, internet, SocialScope, email... all work over just wifi, with no problems. I turn the network back on to check for texts and voicemails or to make calls.
    Some apps won't connect with just wifi, for example the Google app, but you can still use the native BB browser to do a Google search.

Hope that helps a little.
    11-26-09 07:17 PM
    ive come to realize isnt so great. i'm finding out that 3g or REV0 (whatever you want to call it) is faster for me. The only thing good for wifi is when i want to stream music from 1 pc to my phone, i have a webserver running and access that from the device, but i can do that without wifi from anywhere, where as wifi limits me to be close to the router. actually, i have no use for wifi , sorry
    11-27-09 07:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD