BlackBerry is targeting physical keyboard users. That market is so small and shrinking every year. No way BlackBerry can regain market share if they keep producing physical keyboard phones.
    I don't think they're trying to boost market share with the Classic. They're trying to keep and gain enterprise customers.

Posted via CB10
    ponpiri, LuvULongTime and shaleem like this.
    12-20-14 09:22 AM
    What many critics of Blackberry don't get is that not everyone wants the same thing. Technology reviewers need to go back to econ 101 class and understand the concepts of competition, specialization, and differentiation.

For starters BlackBerry devices offer features not often found in competing devices such as good battery life (by smartphone standards), durability, physical keyboards, good support for their products, fm radio as well as other features.

From a software perspective not running Android is a feature not a drawback. Android has several problems from a technical perspective such as security, audio latency, lack of a full c library, general performance issues, and much of its functionality being run through a java vm. Android doesn't have a fully featured c library, bionic lacks several features from standard Unix C Libraries and is not fully posix compliant, where as BlackBerry 10 is.

So, despite Android having a linux kernel, it is actually easier to port apps from desktop linux or Unix to BlackBerry 10 than it is to Android. This is why for example many apps from Meego and Sailfish such as openwhatsapp, gnewsreader, qgvdial and others have been ported to BlackBerry 10 and why QT support is so good on BlackBerry 10.

From a user experience perspective BlackBerry 10 offers a simple and easy to use interface and it performs very well in real world use without any of that very noticeable Android lag, many who own BlackBerry 10 devices would agree.

If you prefer Android devices, Windows or Apple devices then buy them no one is stopping you, just because you may prefer something else doesn't mean that your needs and/or desires reflect the needs and/or desires of absolutely everyone.

If BlackBerry gave up BlackBerry 10 then they would lose much of what makes them different and their purchase of QNX would go to waste and if they stopped making keyboard devices much of the Blackberry userbase would leave. There is no reason they can't produce both keyboard and all touch devices and there is no reason for them to switch to Android on their part.

BlackBerry is also good at offering technology that is not only unique but well executed which other companies often fail at. Blackberry's aren't just for business either many of the features they offer consumers value and much of the user base is consumer is not enterprise.

Finally BlackBerry is definitely not dead, they may have lost market share but that is not the same thing as being dead. BlackBerry never announced Bankruptcy, a closing down of their business, a merger or acquisition by another company or any indication of death. I would say BlackBerry is more alive than ever with share value that has increased, interesting new devices with more in the future, a much improved os and most important a path to profitability and growth.

This isn't to say BlackBerry can't improve, but they offer something different and that is a good thing. Not everyone wants or desires the same thing and using a different technology product doesn't require approval of someone else, a philosophical discussion or justification.
    What you do not understand is that only people in this forum think that BB10 is good. Enterprise users and regular Joe think it is just average. I do not see anything special with it, that is why I stick with my Bold. Seeing adoption numbers validate my choice.
    12-20-14 10:51 AM
    What you do not understand is that only people in this forum think that BB10 is good. Enterprise users and regular Joe think it is just average. I do not see anything special with it, that is why I stick with my Bold. Seeing adoption numbers validate my choice.
    A regular Joe would not be running an iPhone 6 and a 9900. If BBOS was adequate you would not need an iPhone. Most people want just one phone - one that can do it all. A 9900 is pretty useless for anything other than texting emailing. BB10 is a superior OS in my ( regular joe) view but for the lack of apps ( that also exists ten fold for BBOS).
    kbz1960, shaleem and spikesolie like this.
    12-20-14 11:12 AM
    I don't think anybody outside Crackberry thinks these two are true. There are plenty of Androids with great battery life and that are durable.

iPhones have better support, esp. when it comes to requiring service. Android phones have FM radios. Physical keyboards are in weak demand and many people find software keyboards are faster for typing.

Whatever problems Android have, Blackberry has two-fold because BB10 devices heavily rely on apps from an Android runtime! You will have a buggier phone, worse battery life, slower performance, and may even risk your security.

Many will claim sandbox = safe; but, we don't actually know that for certain. Android supposedly sandboxes Android apps as well. You're likely safer off using Android apps on an Android phone than taking the "ignorance is bliss" approach because no one knows for certain how security features are implemented in the runtime.

Don't know much about this. It may be true. *shrug* But I use Linux and it's not exactly known for its suite of consumer/business programs, anyway.

I can agree this is true for Blackberry fans.
    OP did tell you to use whatever phone you like....wasted time responding to post and missed that salient bit
    12-20-14 12:04 PM
    Well... they did put up a for sale sign sometime back before Prem Watsa stepped in. I do agree with the rest of the write up though
    Watsa was already there. He actually stepped out and got off the Board for a while.IIRC
    12-20-14 12:24 PM
    The absolutely critical flaw is STILL the lack of apps at this stage. If the top 100 Android apps that aren't available on BlackBerry (that won't run due to Google Play requirements) and the top 100 iOS apps that aren't available on BlackBerry became available, I think a lot of iOS and Android users could be coaxed to switch. The Hub and keyboard and elegance of the OS are unparallelled (and yes, despite the actual design of iOS being very polished, the notifications system is awkward, the multi-function-mostly-not-what-I-actually-wanted home button is annoying, and still having to open a separate app for every type of communication is so 2009).
    Throw like half a mil dollars to a few app makers to develop native apps for the top apps and see how they swarm... Apart from that let those app developers sell these apps on BBW for a small price so that they keep on updating those apps... win win situation for BB and users. Plus it may also bring back a few users...

Just a thought... Maybe they are already doing it
    12-20-14 12:24 PM
    Might be based on experience

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    I've never had to use them but from the things I've heard on here its not top notch. Something they will have to work on for a comeback to occur.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 01:15 PM
    Good stuff. You know your Blackberry well.
    12-20-14 02:13 PM
    A regular Joe would not be running an iPhone 6 and a 9900. If BBOS was adequate you would not need an iPhone. Most people want just one phone - one that can do it all. A 9900 is pretty useless for anything other than texting emailing. BB10 is a superior OS in my ( regular joe) view but for the lack of apps ( that also exists ten fold for BBOS).
    Im think carrying 2 devises has a lot of advantages. My Q10 is great for communication, but my old curve 9320 is a superior devise for listening to the radio or music prom its SD card. This way im not killing off my work battery for entertainment. Plus the 9320 is tough, tiny and has great battery life. Many ppl now see a phone and tablet as the combination. since i don't game the 9320 fills that sweat spot easily.
    12-20-14 02:42 PM
    Throw like half a mil dollars to a few app makers to develop native apps for the top apps and see how they swarm... Apart from that let those app developers sell these apps on BBW for a small price so that they keep on updating those apps... win win situation for BB and users. Plus it may also bring back a few users...

Just a thought... Maybe they are already doing it
    The already tried doing this... free development kits, free devices to developers, money for apps... As for concentrating the money only to a few "must have" apps, that's a hard thing to gauge as Skype was a must-have, then when we got it, people wanted Angry Birds, then when we got it, people wanted Netflix, etc. It's hard to keep up when the "must-have" is quite fleeting.
    12-20-14 05:54 PM
    Might be based on experience

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    No it isn't. Their customer service is consistently awful. And has been awful for years.
    mikeo007 and marty314 like this.
    12-21-14 07:27 AM
    I have iPad air at home for my apps, most apps are just games no?
    When I am out I want communication, hence I use my passport and not my iPhone.

I think blackberry is fine the direction they are going, Chen I believe in that man. We will see once 2015 rolls in for a fresh new year.

Passport/CB10 on WIND
    No
    mornhavon and pantlesspenguin like this.
    12-21-14 07:42 AM
    BlackBerry is targeting physical keyboard users. That market is so small and shrinking every year. No way BlackBerry can regain market share if they keep producing physical keyboard phones.
    I think what we forget about the physical keyboard market is this: there is only one brand that makes top quality physical keyboard devices and to get one you would have to know they are still around and then jump through hoops to get one. If you're not willing to pay full price for one and you live in certain countries you will never find one. If you finally get one and you're unfamiliar with it it is hard to find anyone who knows it. It's not like you can go ask the expert at the store because they'll just scoff at you. How many choices do people have? BlackBerry has some things to fix before it can capture a keyboard market that, although small, can be sustainable. Think better support, better brand reputation and better ecosystem to start. Physical keyboards are not going away anytime soon. Not everyone needs a media device. This is coming from a guy that dropped physical keyboards. I understand the use for them and can't wait for a torch like device from BlackBerry. I would love the best of both worlds.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960, Xenolock and RyanGermann like this.
    12-21-14 08:27 AM
    The already tried doing this... free development kits, free devices to developers, money for apps... As for concentrating the money only to a few "must have" apps, that's a hard thing to gauge as Skype was a must-have, then when we got it, people wanted Angry Birds, then when we got it, people wanted Netflix, etc. It's hard to keep up when the "must-have" is quite fleeting.
    Maybe keep these select app developers to develop everything native... hire them damn it on a consult basis.

Posted via CB10
    web99 likes this.
    12-21-14 04:19 PM
    BlackBerry does not have the money to support app development. It is just a case of numbers. The numbers of BB10 devices out there is miniscule compare to the i0S / Android market.

There should be a Android section on BBW. If an App is free on Google Play then they should be. asked to submit the app on BBW. Amazon does not pursue apps aggressively enough.
    spikesolie likes this.
    12-21-14 06:52 PM
    Maybe keep these select app developers to develop everything native... hire them damn it on a consult basis.
    Basically, you're saying BlackBerry should select a few of these "must-have" app creators and pay them to port their app. Once again, which apps are really "must-have"? And what if they completely refuse to develop for BB10?
    12-22-14 05:05 AM
    There should be a Android section on BBW. If an App is free on Google Play then they should be. asked to submit the app on BBW. Amazon does not pursue apps aggressively enough.
    This has been tried. There was a company that was actively porting free Android apps to BBW. They got caught by the original developers when BB10 users started asking for support.
    12-22-14 05:18 AM
    By pursuing I am just saying that BlackBerry should be asking these developers on behalf of BlackBerry World. Not sure how aggressive Amazon is. Does Google have a no compete clause? I just think it rather silly that BlackBerry relies on Amazon when Amazon does not have much of a store themselves.
    12-22-14 10:08 AM
43 12