Could someone make a list of features that are "disabled" or crippled on a BB when used without a BB server, besides from email? For example, and if I am not mistaken, I don't think you can browse the web unless it goes through the BB server.

What are features or functionality depend on a BB server?
    04-23-11 01:03 PM
    The only thing you can do is make phone calls, text and limited internet while near a hotspot/WiFi. Also MMS will not work.
    04-23-11 02:08 PM

A picture is worth a thousand words.

The phone component will work with your carrier plan, but the data component goes directly to BIS.

Email and Messaging are managed by BIS. Access to the Internet is managed by BIS.
    Access to BlackBerry App World is managed by BIS. Third party apps usually require BIS.

If your BlackBerry supports WiFi, you can work around many of these limitations when active.
    04-23-11 03:44 PM
    So without BIS (and wifi) a BB basically becomes a dumbphone.

Does the browsing speed degrade as a result of going through BIS?
    Are are there any limits to the amount of data that can be downloaded?

Thanks again.
    04-24-11 04:35 AM
    Browsing speed is determined by the data network (3G, EDGE, etc) and WiFi conditions, not related to the BIS. The data may be limited by your carrier plan, again unrelated to BIS constraints or restrictions.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    04-24-11 07:38 AM
    So without BIS (and wifi) a BB basically becomes a dumbphone.

Does the browsing speed degrade as a result of going through BIS?
    Are are there any limits to the amount of data that can be downloaded?

Thanks again.
    yes browsing speed does suffer a little since it has to go thru the RIM NOC.

The monthly data limit would be imposed by the carrier though, not RIM
    04-24-11 07:41 AM
    Browsing speed is determined by the data network (3G, EDGE, etc) and WiFi conditions, not related to the BIS.Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    I have 30meg broadband at home and connected via wi-fi i see incredibly low speeds on my Blackberry as compared to an HTC Desire and an iPhone 3 also connected to my Wi-Fi.

RIMs NOC plays a huge part in slowing down my Wi-Fi throughput speed on the Blackberry I feel.
    04-24-11 08:56 AM
    I have 30meg broadband at home and connected via wi-fi i see incredibly low speeds on my Blackberry as compared to an HTC Desire and an iPhone 3 also connected to my Wi-Fi.

RIMs NOC plays a huge part in slowing down my Wi-Fi throughput speed on the Blackberry I feel.
    I assume that you are talking about web browsing? When connected to Wifi and browsing the data is NOT sent through the NOC.
    04-24-11 09:01 AM
    I assume that you are talking about web browsing? When connected to Wifi and browsing the data is NOT sent through the NOC.
    Not true. Many of the BB native apps, including the native browser, still run through the RIM NOCs even over wifi. If you see the BB BIS 4-dot logo next to the wifi icon, then it's going through the BIS. If there is a BIS outage, you can't browse even over wifi.

Other browsers can still be used, such as Bolt or Opera Mini. They don't run through the NOCs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-11 11:33 AM
    Browsing speed is determined by the data network (3G, EDGE, etc) and WiFi conditions, not related to the BIS. The data may be limited by your carrier plan, again unrelated to BIS constraints or restrictions.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    I believe that is wrong. The NOC slows things down. People have reported when you tether (data does not go through the NOC but directly to the device you are tethering), they have faster speeds using speed test then when just using speed tests on the BB.

My iPhone 3G and 3GS were always getting faster download/upload speeds on AT&T than my 9000 or 9700.
    04-24-11 11:46 AM
    Not true. Many of the BB native apps, including the native browser, still run through the RIM NOCs even over wifi. If you see the BB BIS 4-dot logo next to the wifi icon, then it's going through the BIS. If there is a BIS outage, you can't browse even over wifi.

Other browsers can still be used, such as Bolt or Opera Mini. They don't run through the NOCs.
    Sorry to say, but you have no idea what you are talking about.

Yes, services that require BIS such as BBM still use the NOC over wifi. The web browser does NOT. If you dont believe me visit whatismyipaddress.com on BIS, then try again when connected to wifi.

Also if BIS is down you can still browse through wifi. You dont even need a sim card in the phone to use the web browser.

If you are going to try and correct someone please be straight with your facts.

Also for Bolt/Opera, they both run through a NOC, just not RIMs.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-24-11 01:03 PM
    Sorry to say, but you have no idea what you are talking about.

Yes, services that require BIS such as BBM still use the NOC over wifi. The web browser does NOT. If you dont believe me visit whatismyipaddress.com on BIS, then try again when connected to wifi.

Also if BIS is down you can still browse through wifi. You dont even need a sim card in the phone to use the web browser.

If you are going to try and correct someone please be straight with your facts.

Also for Bolt/Opera, they both run through a NOC, just not RIMs.
    I am so sorry to have offended you. But everything I've read all these years tells me otherwise - even RIM's own knowledge base information. Maybe that info is wrong, or I just read it wrong. It's possible and I'll admit it.

What I've heard was that people would lose the BIS, but were still able to browse over wifi. Until they restarted their phones which would resend service books cutting off the browser to the wifi. Yet other third party browsers would still work.

And, yes, I know Bolt and Opera have their own servers. In fact Opera's browsers have been flaking out the past week. Probably from a bunch of new Crackberry readers not able to read the forum on their native browsers with the 500 series builds of OS 6.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-11 08:54 AM
    look at it this way...if BIS goes down, can you surf the web via wifi still? yes you can
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-26-11 11:30 AM
    look at it this way...if BIS goes down, can you surf the web via wifi still? yes you can
    That's true. I tried browsing via Wi-Fi on my 9000 without even putting a SIM card in it, and the hotspot browser worked.
    04-26-11 12:06 PM

I tested this by browsing via Wi-Fi on my 9000 without a SIM card. Hotspot browser still worked.
    04-26-11 12:08 PM
    Think of it as a network server, as where you log onto it and connect and save data to the server, and allows you do certain things and stops you doing certain things so it cannot be resold or given away or the company would lose money.
    04-26-11 12:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD