I gave my 12-year-old grandson my Pearl when I got a curve. Right now he only has phone, music and lots of games, no messaging or internet. This started me thinking, when should I open him up to the wonderful world of Blackberry addiction. What age did/would/should you give your kids a full access Blackberry?
    02-26-08 01:24 PM
    As soon as he gets a job and buys one.
    02-26-08 01:26 PM
    my 5 year-old daughter is all over my spare bb pearl. She really wants it to so she can get her email from Barbie and Hello Kitty.~oh and she's serious.

I told her that she cannot have a blackberry until she can pay for the data. She very sweetly asked to borrow my credit card.

seriously though~I would probably get my kiddos cell phones (not smartphone) when they are between 10 & 12.
    02-26-08 01:39 PM
    As soon as he gets a job and buys one.
    with you 100%!
    02-26-08 01:56 PM
    My son is thirteen. I would let him have a BB when he can pay for the data plan. I will also consider it when he starts washing his hands instead of wiping them on his pants!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-08 01:59 PM
    Im 18 first year in college and I just got my BB around christmas time for a present i have to pay for the data side of the phone. I think it would be unnessecary for anyone younger then me to have one because until this year i would not be able to use it effectively because I was always messing around in highschool....anyways its really helped me organize my priorities so I would have to say im the youngest that should be holding/operating a BB
    02-26-08 02:25 PM
    LOL, I'm with Chaz!
    02-26-08 02:26 PM
    My old treo, yeah.... but a BB??
    02-26-08 02:27 PM
    I got my first phone, a smartphone when I was 15, I think. I would start my kids off at 13, 14, with a cell phone, which is great for emergencies and the like, and only consider a Blackberry when they are mature and responsible enough to not lose it or misuse it, so I would say around 16, 17.
    02-26-08 02:29 PM
    12 sounds like a great age.. start texting with those girls
    02-26-08 03:02 PM
    As soon as they start cashing paychecks and paying bills. I side with Chaz. We didn't even have regular cellies when we were growing up, much less a smartphone.
    02-26-08 03:11 PM
    I side with Chaz as well. My 16 year old daughter is bad enough with texting on her damned cell phone, (which she pays for with her part time job).

A couple that are friends of mine gave their 6 year old kid a phone last month. I was like "WTF?!" Just a cell phone is bad enough at that age.

BgDM
    02-26-08 03:15 PM
    I got a cell phone at 16 when I started driving, my mother wanted me to have it in case of an emergency. I had a 50 minute a month plan, no text, blah blah...though, none of my friends had cell phones anyway.

I don't see needing a BB until you 1) are in college, or 2) have a real job. In either case, you have to be able to afford it on your own and not leach off of mom and dad. I have no kids though, just my $0.02.
    02-26-08 03:19 PM
    Because the net us bad enough much less all that stuff directly onto the phone! Oh heck no not till they are 18 besides they don't need all the features! I will get my son and daughter one of those migo things when they are responsible enough to not lose it! But a real cell? I'd say 13-15 smart phone? 18+

02-26-08 03:19 PM
    I guess it's different in the US and UK. Kids here have phones as soon as they spend time without their parents (with friends, friends' parents...) and due to my love of BBs I'd give my kid a BB when he/she was around 13, same age as I got mine. I'd get them a phone at around 8 though.
    02-26-08 03:45 PM
    Oh boy!! Well I just asked my 15 year old twin boys and my eight year old girl if they had any interest in the BB. Of course my daughter is too young for a phone, but my boys both have had phones since 12. I was take back at first, when they answered "A BB? No way! I want an iPhone!" But then I realized that they are still kids. I may have chosen the same thing at 15.
    Last edited by pmas; 02-26-08 at 06:31 PM.
    02-26-08 04:12 PM
    Oh boy!! Well I just asked my 15 year old twin boys and my eight year old girl if they had any interest in the BB. Of course my daughter is too young for a phone, but my boys both have had phones since 12. I was shocked and appalled at first, when they answered "A BB? No way! I want an iPhone!" But then I realized that they are still kids. I may have chosen the same thing at 15.
    Ha, Kids. (I'm 14 lol).
    02-26-08 04:36 PM
    Yeah, my old T-mobile MDA which is currently collecting about four inches of dust when he can afford to pay for the data plan.
    02-26-08 04:40 PM
    I can't imagine ever giving a BB to a child, it's definitely a luxury item if you ask me. I would give them a cell phone around 10 or so, but not a BB.

it would probably make a good graduation present
    02-26-08 05:29 PM
    I'd say 10+ for a regular cell, 14+ for a BB or any other smartphone, I rather have communication with my kids when they are not around that none at all.
    02-26-08 07:59 PM
    My 14 yr old son has gone thru 3 phones in less than a year, No bb for him till he has a job and can replace it and pay the bill!!!
    02-26-08 08:04 PM
    My 15 year old daughter and I were just talking about this last weekend. Her 15 year old cousin is on her 3rd phone since December...and her newest phone is a Pearl! My daughter was SHOCKED (as was I when she told me). I consider it a luxury to have a BB, no way I'm paying for my teenager to have one!!
    02-26-08 08:04 PM
    When they are old enough to buy their own, that's when they'll get one...
    I agree with a posting earlier that a BB is most defiantly a luxury item...

02-26-08 08:20 PM
    I bought a Blue Pearl for my 2 year old granddaughter. A display model that is.
    02-26-08 08:21 PM
    It is much different outside the us, you're right. The maturity levels and social pressures are a bit more advanced I think in the UK. I have a friend in Austria who was in our college equivalent during my high school years.

Us speaking, I think a smart phone is opening up a can of worms. Teens often go over on texts and minutes- I can see some harsh bills. But, say she's good about it- do you want her that accessable all the time?

02-26-08 11:17 PM
190 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD