I'm sorry about bumping this thread again and it will be my last time doing so:

Who are you to say what we need or don't need in our lives to organize ourselves? I don't think anyone NEEDS a Blackberry (or even said that they do in this thread), it is just one of the many modern conveniences available to both kids and adults today. What makes (some) adults so special that they think that they are the only people who can use a Blackberry properly? You may use it for a job and we may use it for school. Either way, we still use it just as much as you or any one elts, just for different purposes. Well that is my final opinion on this subject and on that note, I'm out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I know this wasn't directed to me, but i'm going to put my 2 cents in anyway.

A child in Middle School or High School does not 'require' such an advanced phone. Pay attention to the word 'require'.

No Middle School or High School kid should require anything more than their mind to 'organize their lives'. A lesson you should be learning while going through these times in your life is to know how to keep yourself organized without having mom/dad looking over your shoulder.....or use of technology. This is why there is homework that starts off light in middle school and eventually gets tougher through high school. This prepares you for college which then prepares you for the real world. But you need to start with the basics and understand why you need to organize and how to do it inside your brain.

Now I'm not saying that we should avoid technology. But we need to establish at a young age an understanding of these requirements like organization before one can truly appreciate and fully utilize things like Blackberries. Just like kids should learn to do math on paper and in their head before being handed a calculator.

I've gone through a decent amount of my life including HS, college, and now 5 years in a professional white-collar job without the need for a blackberry. The most I've ever really used is a few reminders on Outlook and a few sticky notes. The rest is all stored upstairs. I know as I grow in my position and advance through the ranks, eventually the need for a Blackberry and its capabilities will be required to keep track of what is going on. That just comes with being in a higher rank. More responsibility. But you aren't going to convince me that a middle school or high school student are on the same level as a CEO when it comes to organizing one's life.

And to the person that said they want their kids to have the latest and greatest technology because it'll be easier for that kid to transition into a blackberry when the time comes is full of crap. Growing up I didn't have the latest and greatest of tech devices. But somehow I was able to pick up on the blackberry pretty quickly. Why? Because I'm the type of person who is not tech-********. Some people are not tech savvy nor will they ever be....regardless of the amount of high tech, latest/greatest toys you put in front of them. So I know I won't be depriving my child by not giving her a blackberry at age 10.
    07-21-08 08:07 AM
    I am 18 years old and going up to Michigan Tech for college this August. I bought a Curve in June and I had a pearl before that for about a week. Why did I upgrade? Well first lets see why I got a BB in the first place. I got a BB because I simply wanted it. I saw it in the store and it was time for me to get a new phone. I liked the suretype keyboard cause i like to text and IM people and it was a pain on a regular phone all the time. I could have gotten the LG scoop or something with a keyboard but what turn me to BB was the fact that they had internet, and so many different things that they can do.

So do I need a blackberry? Not at all. Do i think i am too young to have one? No. I upgraded to the curve just for the full qwerty keyboard and since alltel didnt have MMS on the pearl. I like the ease of use of the blackberry and all of the things that it offers. I have a hard time managing my time as far as studying in high school. Which was a downfall to a point on test. I am hoping that I can use the blackberry to set study reminders and make sure that I know when things are due. I have a hard time keeping a paper organizer and have tried to use one, but to me using technology is more fun and i stay on top of things better. So in short I think that 12 yrs old or even 16 years old is too young, but when you know what the phone can do and know that you are going to use it as a Blackberry and not as a suped up LG scoop..go ahead

By the way.....Go Red Wings!
    Last edited by BenWitt08; 07-21-08 at 08:45 AM.
    07-21-08 08:36 AM

No Middle School or High School kid should require anything more than their mind to 'organize their lives'. A lesson you should be learning while going through these times in your life is to know how to keep yourself organized without having mom/dad looking over your shoulder.....or use of technology. This is why there is homework that starts off light in middle school and eventually gets tougher through high school. This prepares you for college which then prepares you for the real world. But you need to start with the basics and understand why you need to organize and how to do it inside your brain.

Now I'm not saying that we should avoid technology. But we need to establish at a young age an understanding of these requirements like organization before one can truly appreciate and fully utilize things like Blackberries. Just like kids should learn to do math on paper and in their head before being handed a calculator.

I've gone through a decent amount of my life including HS, college, and now 5 years in a professional white-collar job without the need for a blackberry. The most I've ever really used is a few reminders on Outlook and a few sticky notes. The rest is all stored upstairs. I know as I grow in my position and advance through the ranks, eventually the need for a Blackberry and its capabilities will be required to keep track of what is going on. That just comes with being in a higher rank. More responsibility. But you aren't going to convince me that a middle school or high school student are on the same level as a CEO when it comes to organizing one's life.

And to the person that said they want their kids to have the latest and greatest technology because it'll be easier for that kid to transition into a blackberry when the time comes is full of crap. Growing up I didn't have the latest and greatest of tech devices. But somehow I was able to pick up on the blackberry pretty quickly. Why? Because I'm the type of person who is not tech-********. Some people are not tech savvy nor will they ever be....regardless of the amount of high tech, latest/greatest toys you put in front of them. So I know I won't be depriving my child by not giving her a blackberry at age 10.
    You are fortunate that you never needed devices such as these. A lot of people need help in areas such as organization. I wish there were blackberries around when I was that age. I definitely would have done better.

Kids are having more responsibilities and growing up at a younger age now and with that why shouldn't they have such perks as a blackberry.

Where does this talk about organizing at a ceo level come from? Blackberry has the same options if not less than many other phones if you take away the BB messenger and pushmail. I know RIM preaches about catering to upper level executives and CEO's but I dont know too many CEO's that have Blackberry's, that's what personal assistants and white collar ants like us are for.
    No one said you would be depriving a child by not giving them a blackberry. The argument is that no one can give a good reason as to why a child/teen shouldn't have one.
    Last edited by dubai_bb; 07-21-08 at 09:50 AM.
    07-21-08 09:44 AM

Kids are having more responsibilities and growing up at a younger age now and with that why shouldn't they have such perks as a blackberry.
    Exactly what responsibilities do kids have now that they didn't have in the past? I'd say they have less responsibility now since parents don't make their kids do anything and a lot of kids just stay at home away from extracurricular activities.
    07-21-08 10:01 AM
    You are fortunate that you never needed devices such as these. A lot of people need help in areas such as organization. I wish there were blackberries around when I was that age. I definitely would have done better.
    This is just an excuse. Most, if not all, of my HS class graduated without the need of Blackberries or any computer to keep them organized. Kids these days are just lazy and not willing to put forth effort. So they rely on technology and their parents to keep them organized. Always an excuse to why they did bad or why that can't do this or that. When the real answer is because they didn't want to put forth effort.

07-21-08 10:06 AM

Where does this talk about organizing at a ceo level come from? Blackberry has the same options if not less than many other phones if you take away the BB messenger and pushmail. I know RIM preaches about catering to upper level executives and CEO's but I dont know too many CEO's that have Blackberry's, that's what personal assistants and white collar ants like us are for.
    No one said you would be depriving a child by not giving them a blackberry. The argument is that no one can give a good reason as to why a child/teen shouldn't have one.
    Why has no one answered that question yet???
    07-21-08 10:08 AM
    Why has no one answered that question yet???
    You don't really think we haven't covered this already do you?

Go back and re-read the thread. A lot of people have said why a kid shouldn't have a blackberry. I'm sorry if these reasons are acceptable to you or not. Thats not what our goal is here.

Go out and play.

BTW...what you bolded was not a question. It was a statement.
    07-21-08 10:21 AM

A child in Middle School or High School does not 'require' such an advanced phone. Pay attention to the word 'require'.

Did you even read my post? I thought I made it very clear that nobody, kid or adult, NEEDS a Blackberry, it is just a convenience available to us today. Speaking for myself here, I can say I can organize myself without technology, but a Blackberry just makes it easier. If you would like to see how I use my berry, please read my post a couple of pages back. I'm sure that you can get by without a berry organizing you and so can I. But it sure does make certain tasks easier, doesn't it?

07-21-08 10:22 AM
    Did you even read my post? I thought I made it very clear that nobody, kid or adult, NEEDS a Blackberry, it is just a convenience available to us today. Speaking for myself here, I can say I can organize myself without technology, but a Blackberry just makes it easier. If you would like to see how I use my berry, please read my post a couple of pages back. I'm sure that you can get by without a berry organizing you and so can I. But it sure does make certain tasks easier, doesn't it?

Of course nobody NEEDS a blackberry. But I haven't been the one using the "I need it to organize my life" excuse. That is what the kids in here are using to defend themselves.

Personally I don't need a blackberry and it doesn't really help me out anymore than my old ways. The reason I have mine is simply to access the internet/email from pretty much everywhere. Also to serve as a tether when I can't connect via wifi with my laptop.
    07-21-08 10:28 AM
    Of course nobody NEEDS a blackberry. But I haven't been the one using the "I need it to organize my life" excuse. That is what the kids in here are using to defend themselves.

Personally I don't need a blackberry and it doesn't really help me out anymore than my old ways. The reason I have mine is simply to access the internet/email from pretty much everywhere. Also to serve as a tether when I can't connect via wifi with my laptop.
    Sorry, I guess I just worded it wrong. When I say I need it to Organize my life, I mean that's how I use it among other things. I'm not going to lie, it makes certain tasks much easier for me at least, and it sure beats using a paper calendar/planner But as others have said, times have changed. Most teachers in my school (all of them do starting this september when I go in to high school) require papers typed, or they won't accept them at all. Also, more and more assignments require that you use less printed resources and more internet resources to obtain information for reports and such. I like getting these assignments done when I have free time, such as on the bus for example. I didn't get my berry until march of my 8th grade year (I payed for the phone and pay for the data plan). I am very disorganized and it really has helped me manage my time better and my grades have really improved since I got this device. Ok, NOW I'm done

Last edited by ecooper11; 07-21-08 at 02:26 PM.
    07-21-08 10:47 AM

thank you. nobody NEEDS a blackberry but they choose to have and use one because it makes your life easier.
    07-21-08 10:53 AM
    This is just an excuse. Most, if not all, of my HS class graduated without the need of Blackberries or any computer to keep them organized. Kids these days are just lazy and not willing to put forth effort. So they rely on technology and their parents to keep them organized. Always an excuse to why they did bad or why that can't do this or that. When the real answer is because they didn't want to put forth effort.

I hope you don't think I am lazy cause I wasn't going for that in my post. I just haven't been able to use paper organizers...ever. I took AP calc and AP stats this year and got a 4 on calc and 5 on stats on the ap test. Which not to brag (i am proud of those scores, however) I just didn't want to give off the wrong vibe. Yes though i must say the ammount of "work" or hoursework and stuff kids do (me included) seem to be less and less
    07-21-08 10:55 AM
    Sorry, I guess I just worded it wrong. When I say I need it to Organize my life, I mean that's how I use it among other things. I'm not going to lie, it makes certain tasks much easier for me at least, and it sure beats using a paper calendar/planner But as others have said, times have changed. Most teachers in my school (all of them do starting this september when I go in to high school) require papers typed, or they won't accept them at all. Also, more and more assignments require that you use less printed resources and more internet resources to obtain information for reports and such. I like getting these assignments done when I have free time, such as on the bus for example. I didn't get my berry until march of my 8th grade year (I payed for the phone and pay for the data plan). I am very disorganized and it really has helped me manage my time better and my grades have really improved since I got this device.

same with me. i like to write reports in bed and my blackberry lets me do that without having to use my heavy laptop on my lap.
    07-21-08 10:56 AM
    I hope you don't think I am lazy cause I wasn't going for that in my post. I just haven't been able to use paper organizers...ever. I took AP calc and AP stats this year and got a 4 on calc and 5 on stats on the ap test. Which not to brag (i am proud of those scores, however) I just didn't want to give off the wrong vibe. Yes though i must say the ammount of "work" or hoursework and stuff kids do (me included) seem to be less and less
    we put alot more effort into school then your generation and we can do that without hours of work with the help of technology.
    07-21-08 10:58 AM
    we put alot more effort into school then your generation and we can do that without hours of work with the help of technology.
    Excuse me?? Are you serious right now kid?? What "generation" exactly is it that you do sooooo much more work than? Really. I would like to know.
    07-21-08 11:02 AM
    Excuse me?? Are you serious right now kid?? What "generation" exactly is it that you do sooooo much more work than? Really. I would like to know.
    Just forget it Jenay... he has contradicted himself numerous times and has no idea how to compose a logical argument. This is senseless and stupid. The thread has a 2 star rating and over 600 replies.

His statement you quoted is an oxymoron... he said that he does more work with less effort.

And if he can seriously write an entire report on a BlackBerry, then that report must be a book review for Curious George. The longer this thread sticks around, the dumber it gets!

Just think... only 6 more weeks and they will all be back in school and CB will be normal again.
    07-21-08 11:06 AM
    OK enough is e friggin 'nough

I am respectfully requesting a MOD, any MOD
    just close this damn thread. It has become a childs
    avenue to argue and entertain himself. THAT is not
    what this forum was ever meant to be.
    07-21-08 11:06 AM
    What is your basis for such a statement?

You seriously think school has become harder?
    07-21-08 11:09 AM

I second that!
    07-21-08 11:09 AM
    And since when are kids allowed to sign up on message boards without the consent of an adult.
    07-21-08 11:10 AM

I second that!
    Third that!! This thing needs to die... FINALLY!

I rated down the thread and reported. It is outta control...

Over 40 pages of bickering and BS!
    07-21-08 11:11 AM

Just think... only 6 more weeks and they will all be back in school and CB will be normal again.
    Thank God.

And since when are kids allowed to sign up on message boards without the consent of an adult.
    SERIOUSLY!!!!!
    07-21-08 11:12 AM
    Unfortunately it is not difficult. False info is put in certian areas
    07-21-08 11:14 AM
    Thank God.

SERIOUSLY!!!!!
    theres no minimun age on cb when you sign up.
    07-21-08 11:15 AM
    I got my first cell phone when I was 15, Mainly because that was my freshmen year of highschool and I did ALOT of after school activities (Band, Track and Field, Weight Lifting) so my parents felt I needed one because of that..However they didn't run out and buy one.....my dad happened to get a phone through his company so he gave me his old phone that my parents had a plan for. If that didn't happen....my mom would have probably just let me use her phone on the days i needed it.

However that was 8 years ago. Now a days I think any child involved in alot of after school activities (at least a freshmen in HS) or drives needs one just for safety.

I'm 22 and I got my first BB a few months ago. I use it for work and college. Very handy indeed. I think college would be the ideal age (or time gap) to make a BB worth the cash.
    07-21-08 11:22 AM
651 ... 2324252627
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD