Now I'm new here as I just got my first ever Blackberry. I've been a user of Palm products but their Treo 750 annoyed me enough to make me want to switch.

I'm 14, and I got a Treo 600 when I was 11. Seems a little young, but at the time I wanted the full keyboard (and I will never touch a 9-key pad in my life again). However I took a look at the rest of the phone and loved every tiny thing I could do with it, and eventually I sortof grew into the phone. Before the phone I had a Tungsten T. The 750 I only got recently because the 600 got mould-screen (where water gets between the touch layers and creates orange pixels) and I hate the 750... but the 750 has so much the 600 doesn't and I just can't go back. So a step up again... BlackBerry Curve 8310.

Now you may think it a little unusual that I do all this.. but then again I get mixed reactions. I pay for the contract myself using the money I make from a web and graphic design business I set up a while back - so I think it's ok that I've got one. But you've also got to remember that the Pearl *is* meant as a general consumer device, not a business device - so really, it's just another phone (with some history behind it, and a weird key layout - hate suretype). Since she's 13 (and I was 13 just a few months ago) I figure it's okay, but only if she appears to be mature enough to use and not abuse it.

Then again, this is kindof like arguing whether or not an 18 year old beer-binger should be allowed to drink wine. Blackberry's are a diamond in the rough, if you will.. I've not had mine long (the Lecture 101's sold them to me) and I already like it. Don't put her down.. encourage her. Trust me, we love encouragement :P
    07-15-08 06:41 PM
    I wanted a blackberry because they are the best phone availble and the actual BB was free with a new line so I had my parents get it for my 12th birthday which was in March. Its my money and I choose to spend it on a data plan because I want to be able to use my phone to its fullest extent. If I wasn't going to use all the features of a blackberry I would have gotten a sidekick and saved myself $20 per month.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Kudos Branden
    07-15-08 06:43 PM
    Kudos Branden
    thank you.
    07-15-08 06:46 PM
    im 14 nd i have a bb... i use it just as much as any adult would if not more.. im on this thing 24/7... its never not in my hands.. i dont know why adults think we shouldnt have them when we prolly use them just as much.. i know you think that we might brake it but wee more responsible then you give us credit for..
    07-15-08 07:41 PM
    im 14 nd i have a bb... i use it just as much as any adult would if not more.. im on this thing 24/7... its never not in my hands.. i dont know why adults think we shouldnt have them when we prolly use them just as much.. i know you think that we might brake it but wee more responsible then you give us credit for..
    i agree 100%
    07-15-08 07:44 PM
    You adults will just have to get it threw your head that we can take care of it nd use it just as well as you... I always have mine with me unless im at basketball.. We deserve to have them just as much as you do.
    07-15-08 07:48 PM
    Thank you!!!

07-15-08 07:54 PM
    Thank you!!!

no problem.
    07-15-08 07:56 PM
    Now I know how my father felt when he tried to explain things to me when I was 13

I dont think the issue is necessarily you not being responsible or that you will *BREAK* (notice spelling) it.....its that at 14 you should be doing other things besides spending 24/7 on your BB like you stated.

When I was 14, I did not have a phone and was out doing things with my friends, not on the computer 24/7 etc. I think that is why most (including myself) dont agree with teenagers having a phone that lets you hide in a room and still keep in touch. We wrote letters to family members we couldnt see, played softball with out friends, went to the mall and walked around, went to carnivals, went to dance class, joined a summer program, went to camp, went to see movies, etc. etc.

Either way, my child will not have a BB-they will have a cell phone or whatever the means of communication is when it comes time.

Good Luck with your BB
    Last edited by Pegalega; 07-15-08 at 08:06 PM.
    You adults will just have to get it threw your head that we can take care of it nd use it just as well as you... I always have mine with me unless im at basketball.. We deserve to have them just as much as you do.

See we all pay our own bills.......and buy our own phones.

And its not THREW its THRU-maybe you should be paying attention in school instead of texting on your BB
    07-15-08 07:59 PM
    As I stated earlier in this thread, my son, almost 12, takes care of his BB as well as I take care of mine. I don't remember seeing any age requirement when I bought either one, so you guys just keep on BBing, and don't worry about any negativity you may encounter.
    07-15-08 08:00 PM
    And its not THREW its THRU-maybe you should be paying attention in school instead of texting on your BB
    It's actually "through".
    07-15-08 08:02 PM
    It's actually "through".

And thru is an informal, simplified spelling of through
    07-15-08 08:05 PM
    It's actually "through".
    its not thru ( thru isn't even a word).
    07-15-08 08:07 PM
    its not thru ( thru isn't even a word).
    Yes it is, I trust my degree over you anyday......and for the record
    thru - Definitions from Dictionary.com
    07-15-08 08:11 PM
    Yes it is, I trust my degree over you anyday......and for the record
    thru - Definitions from Dictionary.com
    I don't really care how people spell here, but if you're referencing someone's study habits, then I'm pretty sure the school is teaching the formal spelling of words.

Back on topic -

It's not up to anyone but the kids here and their parents if they own a BlackBerry. If they can do it, then I say do it. Stating one's opinion is one thing, but too many people here are putting these kids/young adults down with their comments. Let them enjoy their BB's, as well as their experience here on CB. We're all members of the same community, so let's behave accordingly.
    07-15-08 08:13 PM
    As I stated earlier in this thread, my son, almost 12, takes care of his BB as well as I take care of mine. I don't remember seeing any age requirement when I bought either one, so you guys just keep on BBing, and don't worry about any negativity you may encounter.
    I dont think there is an age range-i also dont think that is why people are saying 12 is too young.
    I think its because when we were 14 cell phones were something that most considered to be a waste of money OR most couldnt afford it. And bc when we were that age we were doing things with friends, etc. like I said in my previous post. Its just a generation gap nothing more.
    No hating....no negativity here
    07-15-08 08:16 PM
    I didnt give anyone an issue with their comments....Im an adult and I can have an opinion on it and I stated it. I didnt say OMG a 12 year old with a BB call the president we need to fix this.
    I said why i felt that people were saying they shouldnt have it.
    I did comment on someones comment when one of the posters who defended himself and rightly so said You adults need to get it thru your heads that we are more responsible then given credit for-correct yes I agree-when he pays the bill. Im not his parent so I could care less what kind of phone he has. MY child will not have a BB or cell for that matter until its necessary and if they want a BB they can get a job, buy it themselves and pay the bill themselves. THAT is responsiblity-not making your bed and keeping your room clean. that is childs play in comparison to real like.

that is all-I am done
    07-15-08 08:21 PM
    I don't really care how people spell here, but if you're referencing someone's study habits, then I'm pretty sure the school is teaching the formal spelling of words.

Back on topic -

It's not up to anyone but the kids here and their parents if they own a BlackBerry. If they can do it, then I say do it. Stating one's opinion is one thing, but too many people here are putting these kids/young adults down with their comments. Let them enjoy their BB's, as well as their experience here on CB. We're all members of the same community, so let's behave accordingly.
    thank you chaz. your correct because they teach formal spelling at school not informal spelling.
    07-15-08 08:24 PM
    thank you chaz. your correct because they teach formal spelling at school not informal spelling.
    You're welcome, but the spelling thing isn't the topic here, and after reading more posts, I think most people here are simply stating opinions - which is what the OP asked for. We just need to move on, EVERYONE enjoy their BB, and like Jerry Springer says, "be good to each other". LOL.
    07-15-08 08:30 PM
    Hey Branden, good job standing up for yourself. I was one of those who couldn't believe a kid your age could handle a bb. But after reading some of your posts, you seem responsible, you pay for the bill, and you're a CB addict Can't beat that!
    07-15-08 08:30 PM
    if you can afford the bb/service, more power to ya. But when it comes to parents buying bbs for their children (more than likely because it is a fasion trend at the high school to have one)I think its absolutley rediculous. I've never I'm my life met a 12 year old that has such a hectic life and daily schedule that would warrent having one. I survived highschool without even having a cellphone or beeper.

07-15-08 08:38 PM
    I did comment on someones comment when one of the posters who defended himself and rightly so said You adults need to get it thru your heads that we are more responsible then given credit for-correct yes I agree-when he pays the bill. Im not his parent so I could care less what kind of phone he has. MY child will not have a BB or cell for that matter until its necessary and if they want a BB they can get a job, buy it themselves and pay the bill themselves. THAT is responsiblity-not making your bed and keeping your room clean. that is childs play in comparison to real like.
    I agree with this. I could honestly care less what kind of phone the kid has as well. But if I was a parent it wouldn't make sense to me to get my kid a BB, unless like stated above, they paid there own bill and bought there own phone.

Even my parents and I'm 19 years old looked at me and said,"what do you need a BB for." In reality its been a big help between keeping college, a job and my life balanced. I tried doing it on a Moto Rizr and I wanted more functionality so that is why I have a BB.But if your paying your own bill and buying your own phones then cool.

07-15-08 08:40 PM
    Hey Branden, good job standing up for yourself. I was one of those who couldn't believe a kid your age could handle a bb. But after reading some of your posts, you seem responsible, you pay for the bill, and you're a CB addict Can't beat that!
    thank you.
    07-15-08 08:49 PM
651 ... 1617181920 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD