I understand where you are coming from, but you really need to broaden your scope and understand that the way things were years ago hold no weight over today. People "got by" without them because the world was different during that period. Back in 1975, people didn't have the same sense of urgency and need for constant connection as they do today. If you try to run a business without email and a cellphone, your business is doomed to fail. It is just a fact of present day life. Sure, 30 years ago it wasn't like that, but 30 years ago the world wasn't used to having such technology. For example, if only had a landline and an answering machine that said nothing more than "I am out and will be back later, I will call you then," I would quickly lose my customers and find myself hurting badly.

I do NEED a cellphone, my livelihood depends on it.

Smartphones and PPC devices are another story altogether. These types of devices are far more subjective when it comes to being a necessity or a luxury. You and your friends may not "need" one, but choose one for your own reasoning; be it your social image, your personal needs, a love of the web, or whatever else. On the flip side, a traveling business man that finds himself in taxis, on trains, and in airports more than he finds himself in an office may very well need that device. No, not want, but genuinely need. The same concepts I outlined above hold true for this type of person. If he can't access his email, reply to his clients, and keep track of his life from where ever he is, he is dead in the water and his better equipped competitor is going to take his business. He truly needs it to survive.

I am not quite in that position, but I am not far from it either, and for that reason, I half need/half choose to have a smartphone.

I started off saying that I understand where you are coming from, and I honestly do. It can be easy to proclaim that because we got by without something years ago, it isn't a necessity today. That comment is far from true however. If you want to be technical, the world got by hundreds of years ago when there was no big business, no technology, no electricity, no heat, no running water, etc; does that mean we don't need those things today?
    I completely understand you. My father runs his own business and he certainly needs a cell phone and email and such (well...he's clueless about email...but he has people to do that LOL). I was just stating that people once functioned without them so we don't "need" them. Certainly we need them now with the demands of our world.
    04-17-08 04:00 PM
    My 13 year old got a cheap phone with no frills for his birthday this year from his stepmom. He only used it when allowed and was grounded from it. Someone stole it out of his backpack two weeks ago. I was contemplating getting him a really old blackberry for texting me but realized he would hardly use it. And it would probably get stolen again.

I think children should be able to have phones when they can pay for them and use them responsibly. 16 is good for a plain one. 18 for a blackberry. Of course it depends on the child.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-08 04:36 PM
    I would say if the word "child" applies, a bb doesn't.

Man, I'm going to be a mean daddy one day.
    07-09-08 03:59 PM
    If a parent feels the need to get their child a blackberry, maybe they shouldn't have become a parent in the first place.

Idiots.
    07-09-08 04:05 PM
    I think it depends on the child. In this day and age there are kids even younger than 12 who are very tech savvy. Who knows, they may grow up to be a software developer. Having a BB would be beneficial to that type of kid. I know just having a BB and learning to use it has taught me things about BB's and technology in general. So as I said earlier, you can't really have a set age for a kid to get something like a BB.

07-09-08 04:25 PM
    If a parent feels the need to get their child a blackberry, maybe they shouldn't have become a parent in the first place.

Idiots.
    not necessarily. Im 12 and i have have a pealr that i got in march for my birthday but i pay $30 each month out of my allowance to have unlimited data on tmobile plus the add a line charge-my parents pay for the unlimited texting for our family plan. I could get a sidekick and pay only $10 a month but i want a blackberry. anyway my parents got my blackberry for free when they added a new line to their family plan.
    07-09-08 04:27 PM
    My son wants one, however, he is 10 years old and too young. After her turns 13 or so, has the money to purchase the phone himself, and has proven he is responsible, his mother and I would consider getting him one.

07-09-08 04:29 PM
    when they can pay for that bill themselves. Then they can have the responsibility of owning a phone such as the pearl.
    07-09-08 04:35 PM
    Well I have a 7 year old who operates my pearl at about 75% I'm at 85% If I knew he wouldn't lose it and could use it when I needed to communicate with him I'd get him 1 too He probably will get a prepaid something at 12 or my old phone if it lasts LETS FACE IT THE KIDS TODAY ARE GROWING UP IN A NEW WORLD!!!
    07-09-08 04:51 PM
    I just got my Curve and I'm 17. I got my first cellphone when I was in 7th grade, just for emergency purposes. Since then, I've gone through a RAZR and a Treo and now the 'Berry. I got the RAZR and Treo free by various means, and footed the entire bill for my Curve. Then again, I have my own business, so my parents let me be a little more lenient with my "fun" spending...
    07-09-08 05:07 PM
    I think it depends on the child. In this day and age there are kids even younger than 12 who are very tech savvy. Who knows, they may grow up to be a software developer. Having a BB would be beneficial to that type of kid. I know just having a BB and learning to use it has taught me things about BB's and technology in general. So as I said earlier, you can't really have a set age for a kid to get something like a BB.

that is like me. im 12 and i am very tech savvy. everyone in my family and all my friends come to me for tech support and advice. I also pay the bill my self using my allowance
    Last edited by branden3112; 07-09-08 at 08:02 PM.
    07-09-08 05:57 PM
    18 yo. I am not down with the whole 13 yo having a BB. Seems a little young to me.

that is like me. im 12 and i am very tech savvy. everyone in my family and all my friends come to me for tech support and advice. I also pay the bill my self using my allowance
    Wow. Do you have a BB?
    Last edited by Crackberrykills; 07-09-08 at 08:09 PM.
    07-09-08 08:07 PM
    18 yo. I am not down with the whole 13 yo having a BB. Seems a little young to me.

Wow. Do you have a BB?
    why yes i do. i have a bb 8100 on tmobile.
    07-09-08 08:14 PM
    I got my first one at 20 ... I would say probably high school like junior year or 2nd phone. 12 years old is pretty young for a phone period ... honestly where does a 12 year old go that they aren't with their parents or their friends parents where they even need a phone? With that being said I did see that Ryan kid's brother on mtv (skater kid) had a blackberry and hes like 7 so who knows. I don't think they can use them in school anyways so why fork out the dough?
    07-09-08 08:17 PM
    First off, why does anyone that young even need a cellular device? They cannot drive? They have no reason to have constant contact with the world! They can walk 10 feet to a home phone, or ask to use a friend's home phone... what a concept!

I feel that a cell phone can wait until at least 16 y/o

I feel a Berry should wait until at least 18... or until the user can pay for the initial cost and any other cost themselves!
    07-09-08 08:17 PM
    At this current time I am 19 and I received my first cell phone at age 15, it was my moms old flip on the family plan because she wanted to upgrade. I later as a gift received a camera phone and I used that up until earlier this year when my contract on their family plan was up and then I bought my BB with my money, it was only 100, not at all expensive. I think it all depends on the responsibility of the child in question, Whether they go over minutes/texts, Do they take care of the phone?...Obviously a 5 year old having a cell phone is ridiculous. A blackberry is no more expensive to have than say a flip, the only additional cost being a data plan. I say if the rents are paying then no data plan until they can fork over the extra cost not to mention a 15 year old doesn't need constant access to their myspace/facebook. Other than that the phone will not cost anymore than an average cell bill. So if the kids good and responsible, why not?
    07-09-08 08:19 PM
    First off, why does anyone that young even need a cellular device? They cannot drive? They have no reason to have constant contact with the world! They can walk 10 feet to a home phone, or ask to use a friend's home phone... what a concept!

I feel a Berry should wait until at least 18... or until the user can pay for the initial cost and any other cost themselves!
    i pay for my own line on my parent family plan~im 12.
    07-09-08 08:20 PM
    At this current time I am 19 and I received my first cell phone at age 15, it was my moms old flip on the family plan because she wanted to upgrade. I later as a gift received a camera phone and I used that up until earlier this year when my contract on their family plan was up and then I bought my BB with my money, it was only 100, not at all expensive. I think it all depends on the responsibility of the child in question, Whether they go over minutes/texts, Do they take care of the phone?...Obviously a 5 year old having a cell phone is ridiculous. A blackberry is no more expensive to have than say a flip, the only additional cost being a data plan. I say if the rents are paying then no data plan until they can fork over the extra cost not to mention a 15 year old doesn't need constant access to their myspace/facebook. Other than that the phone will not cost anymore than an average cell bill. So if the kids good and responsible, why not?
    finally someone like me
    07-09-08 08:23 PM
    I Hate the Bulls*** comment about being on the honor roll when you are F-ING 10. My god all you have to do is smile and pay attention and dont **** anyone off and there is your honor roll certificate. They give them out like there F-ING candy.
    07-09-08 08:27 PM
    when did P I $ $ become on the nauty word list??
    07-09-08 08:28 PM
    When they are in 8th grade or in high school they should get one. Thats when I got my curve than I found a $65 used 8820 which I like much better (my mom has the curve now). I payed for it myself and I do chores around the house to pay for the data plan. I had a palm tx to help organize my school work, then I saw the bb The bb works so much better and the full keyboard is great for texting and typing up homework. I think a kid should get a bb if he/she can pay for the berry and the extra data plan.
    07-09-08 08:28 PM

I'm sorry buddy, but you are not up with the times. 16 years old?

I got my first cell phone in 7th grade. It happened after the second time I locked myself out the house. I left my keys in the house and went to school, and took the bus home. There's not any kids on my block or in my neighborhood really, and my parents aren't friendly with the neighbors. What was I to do? After that they finally bought me a cell phone.

I think a kid can get a phone at 10. A basic cell phone, sure, but a cell phone. I mean, 16? I don't know about you, but at 13-14 I was going out to the movies with my friends and being over friend's houses and maybe walking around the corner to Wawa or something. When you're that age and at the movies with some friends, how are you to call your parents to pick you up? I surely hope they're not there with you.

I think about 16 or 17 is a good age for a BB, but cell phones in general are a necessity these days.

Edit: I'm 17 by the way.
    Last edited by trebb; 07-09-08 at 08:36 PM.
    07-09-08 08:34 PM
    op you said "Now I know she will not have internet" therefor this is a wounded bb not much different than many other phones out there
    as far as cost i got my brother a pearl 8110 on sale for $99 marked down $20 to $79 cause it was used and returned you said they spoil your step daughter but not your 2 boys it sounds like the issues here is not the phone
    07-09-08 08:36 PM
    Her age is one issue. BUT the real issue is her Grandparents. You gotta talk to them & tell them how YOU feel. Yeah, a cell phone for texting is OK - but a BB is over the top. Let them pay her text bill and tell them to talk to YOU first...not the kids!

PS you should use her BB!
    07-09-08 08:42 PM
    I am 26 and just bought my BlackBerry.

I tend to agree with Sunkast's sentiment. Perhaps one's way of thinking regarding kids and cellphones depends upon their age now, and when they first got a cellphone of any kind.

I did not get my first cellphone until I was about to begin college. My parents were footing the costs and the bills too, so I did not have the same level of "flexibility"...

Does this help?

SmeeBig7.
    07-09-08 08:45 PM
651 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD