From our friends at Fox News....

10 biggest tech fails of 2014 | Fox News

10 biggest tech fails of 2014
    Tom's Guide
    By Mark SpoonauerPublished December 17, 2014
    Facebook26 Twitter157 livefyre19 Email Print
    BlackBerryPassport4.jpg
    A BlackBerry Passport smartphone is shown at its official launching event in Toronto, Sep. 24. (REUTERS/Aaron Harris)
    It was a year that was all about that bass, ice bucket challenges and Ebola scares, but 2014 was also a very interesting year in tech. iPhone fans finally got the big screen they had been clamoring for, fitness trackers really took off and Chromebooks took classrooms (and households) by storm. But it was also a year of epic tech fails, from Apple's celebrity photo hack scandal and an ice-cold Amazon Fire phone to smartwatches that just didn't do enough to justify their existence.

Here are the biggest tech flops of the year.

Aereo
    On paper Aereo seemed like a cord-cutter’s dream. By paying $8 to $12 per month to rent one of Aereo's antennas, customers could stream and record their favorite shows from major broadcasters and enjoy them on their phones, tablets or laptops. There was just one big problem: those broadcasters argued that Aereo was stealing their programs via its copyright-violating business model. The Supreme Court agreed, dealing the upstart a bomb the size of 1,000 "Selfies." Five months later, Aereo filed for bankruptcy and called it quits.

BlackBerry Passport
    So desperate to stand out in a sea of phablets, BlackBerry went wide with the Passport -- too wide. The Passport sports a very heavy and awkward square design that's pretty much impossible to use with one hand. And while the keyboard is big and cushy, it's simply not worth the trade-off to carry a tank in your pocket. Add in buggy performance and a camera that takes its sweet time focusing and it’s easy to see why I called this device the New Coke of smartphones. The newer BlackBerry Classic, with its more traditional design, looks more satisfying for CrackBerry addicts.

MORE: Best Last-Minute Tech Gifts

Android Wear
    Interest in smartwatches is picking up, but that doesn't mean you should pick up one that uses Google's needlessly complicated and limited OS. Running on watches made by Asus, LG, Samsung and Sony, Android Wear delivers Google Now-style cards to your wrist to keep you in the know. Too bad the interface requires incessant swiping. My favorite example: the music player app keeps the Play/Pause and Skip buttons on different screens. Plus, you can't recall notifications later or reorder them from your phone. Some Android Wear watches have built-in heart rate monitors, but none of them have worked well. The Apple Watch has nothing to fear.

Tablet Crash
    How does a market that grew 7.2 percent in 2014 count as a fail? Because that's a huge drop from the 52.5 percent growth from 2012 to 2013 for tablets. In retrospect, the reasons for this plummet are obvious. Shoppers are snatching up phablets (big-screen phones), which do nearly everything a tablet can, and they're holding on to their existing tablets much longer. There's just not enough of a difference between the $399 iPad Air and $499 Air 2. Speaking of Apple, IDC says the company will ship nearly 13 percent fewer tablets this year. 2015 will be the year of the big-screen tablet, but that may not be enough to resurrect this flagging category.

MORE: Best Phablets Money Can Buy

Sony PlayStation TV
    With PlayStation in the name, the PlayStation TV tells you that it's more about games than entertainment. But you can't launch a streaming box in 2014 without Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, YouTube or the other channels consumers care about. The game experience was poor, too, as the PS Vita graphics just look blurry and crappy on a big-screen TV. The PlayStation TV doesn’t even support 1080p resolution, which doesn't sound very future-proof. Even at a wallet-friendly $99, this gadget is an epic fail.

MORE: Top Streaming Players Right Now

Apple iCloud Celebrity 'Hack'
    Jennifer Lawrence and Kate Upton were among the more than 100 celebrities whose iCloud accounts were raided by hackers in order to steal and distribute racy photos. By taking advantage of a security flaw in iCloud -- which allowed unlimited password guesses -- the attackers likely used a brute-force attack to gain access to the celebs' accounts. Although iCloud itself wasn't hacked, people still associated Apple with porous security, which is not a good thing when you're rolling out a mobile-payment service. In September, CEO Tim Cook promised that Apple would alert users via email and push notifications when someone tried to change an account password or restore iCloud data to a new device.

Microsoft Kinect 2.0
    As it turns out, gamers are more interested in playing games than talking to their consoles. Kinect 2.0 was supposed to be the one feature that allowed the Xbox One to lay the smack down on the PS4 in the battle for living room domination. Yet despite such gee-whiz features as voice recognition for snapping live TV next to your Sunset Overdrive session, Microsoft unbundled the new Kinect in May to make its console more price-competitive. The good news: the $349 Xbox One sans Kinect outsold the PS4 in November.

MORE: Xbox One vs PS4 - The Winner Is...

Google Glass
    2014 was supposed to be the year that Google Glass went mass market, but last time I checked I didn't see anyone wearing one anywhere. Google has apparently delayed the launch of Glass to consumers and has shifted gears in the meantime to focus on businesses with its Glass at Work program. The move makes sense. You're less likely to be called a Glasshole if you’re using it to call up schematics of a building than wearing the geeky specs to the mall. It's possible that Glass could see a resurgence in 2015, but given that key employees and several developers have abandoned ship, it will be hard to keep Sergey Brin's dream alive.

MORE: Best Smartwatches on the Market

Softcard (formerly ISIS)
    Saddled with one of the most unfortunate brand names ever, ISIS made the wise decision in September to change its name to Softcard to avoid any association with the violent Islamic militant group. Too bad there aren't any other reasons to talk about this mobile payment service now. Unlike the iPhone and Apple Pay, you need a special SIM card from your carrier (AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizon) to use your Android or Windows phone to pay at more than 200,000 locations nationwide.

Softcard is also harder to use than Apple Pay; instead of just holding up your phone to a terminal and pressing your finger to the Touch ID sensor, you need to open the Softcard app and enter your pin, select your payment method and then hold the back of your phone to the checkout terminal. No, thanks! At least Softcard has rolled out a new mascot called Tappy to educate shoppers on how to use the service. Anyone remember Clippy?

Amazon Fire Phone
    Amazon has worked its magic in a lot of tech categories, but the Amazon Fire phone has been a disaster. Yes, Firefly wows, a feature that identifies more than 70 million products, as well as movies, music and TV shows. However, the Fire Phone weighs a full ounce more than the iPhone 6 and has a gimmicky 3D-like screen with low 720p resolution. The below-average battery life doesn't help, either.

Shoppers shunned this chunky AT&T exclusive, causing the carrier to drop the price from $199 to 99 cents on a two-year contract. Amazon took a $170 million write-down in the third quarter due to slow Fire sales, but Bezos & Co. will likely try again with a Fire Phone 2.
    Last edited by Elite1; 12-18-14 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Wrapped quote in [QUOTE] tags
    snsaeed and mjrose29 like this.
    12-17-14 09:57 PM
    Yikes

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.1.1154 | Bell | via CB10
    12-17-14 09:59 PM
    This list basically lists every big tech release of 2014. I think I'm more flattered than I am offended to be on this list.

Heck, even Google glass is there.

Though I agree the fire phone was quite a flop when they decided to release it only on one carrier...... but it's not because the tech was bad, more like, worst business decision ever.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 10:13 PM
    Well at least the Classic got a shout out as a potential success.

Funny how none of the iOS8 bugs were mentioned or the fact the phones bend from cheap material or the battery can't hold a charge (sorry iPhone folks, the battery just doesn't cut it).

But they do have valid points about the BlackBerry Passport. A camera at 13 mp should take great photos and should not have auto focus issues that one may have found on first generation smartphones that were first equipped with cameras. That is honestly the only thing from keeping from getting one as of right now. Maybe with an update to the software may I be more open to spending the cash.

Posted via CB Z30
    12-17-14 10:19 PM
    Ouch......i guess we said it all along anyways.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 10:22 PM
    I have never seen Fox news. Are they important wherever they are? Do they cater to outdoor hunting enthusiasts?

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 10:24 PM
    Passport surpassed the latent desires of the customers. BlackBerry achieved what they wanted through Passport. These analysts I am sure will never understand. In terms of numbers yes I agree only to some extent may not have reached the heights which so called market pundits were expecting but the innovation which Passport brought will have far reaching positive impact on the the shape of things to come in future. Passport platform will never be discarded instead it's success will be used as launching pad for many futuristic devices. Who knows we might have all touch passport or a phablet!!
    Passport has brought lots of confidence within the BlackBerry which was missing and it gave something to cheer about.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    bbnrs, wincyUt and anon(55900) like this.
    12-17-14 10:36 PM
    BlackBerry did not lose any money on the Passport, so how can you call it a failure?

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Passport
    12-17-14 10:47 PM
    It sold more than people were expecting and the people that bought it seem to really enjoy using it. So could you please define failure.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 10:47 PM
    2 words.. Fox News
    12-17-14 10:50 PM
    I don't care what they say I love my passport

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 11:03 PM
    Fox no credibility, famous for saying lies, made up histories, etc, etc.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 11:09 PM
    How can the Passport be a failure before the US release? I know it's a world economy, but the US consumer must count for something!

Q10SQN100-2/10.3.1.1154
    12-17-14 11:14 PM
    On Amazon.com out of 512 customer reviews from people who have purchased the BlackBerry Passport:

447 customers gave it 5 stars
    35 customers gave it 4 stars
    11 customers gave it 3 stars
    9 customers gave it 2 stars
    10 customers gave it 1 star

It is also one of the best selling unlocked phone on Amazon, BlackBerry sold more devices than expected and did not lose any money on it. So how is it a failure?

Amazon.com: BlackBerry Passport - Factory Unlocked Smartphone - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
    12-17-14 11:26 PM
    it's a failure because it doesn't fit his needs. It's a personal opinion so don't get worked up over it. The Passport is a success in my book.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1154
    12-17-14 11:36 PM
    This whole list is a joke.

Posted via CB10
    twirlyboy, MrHomz and bbnrs like this.
    12-17-14 11:37 PM
    I have never seen Fox news. Are they important wherever they are? Do they cater to outdoor hunting enthusiasts?
    Oh, they're perennially on the hunt for one specific target, for sure. The hunt should end in about 13 months, though.
    12-17-14 11:40 PM
    Well, first things first. I didn't know that Fox News had a tech reporter. Now, It is also important to recognize that the Fox News demographic is white male, lower middle class over the age of 65. Yikes.

Posted via CB10
    bbnrs likes this.
    12-17-14 11:43 PM
    "Fox News" - now that's an oxymoron!

Posted via CB10
    bbnrs and Senor Wright like this.
    12-18-14 12:05 AM
    Not to worry, it's foxnews..... they don't know anything. They can barely even get the news right.

Posted via CB10
    bbnrs likes this.
    12-18-14 12:14 AM
    You need figures to support that. We will soon know if it is a failure. That article is worth the paper it is written on... And yes, I know it is only published online
    12-18-14 01:09 AM
    Ouch! Did Blackberry murder this reporter's entire family or something? LOL
    wincyUt and Umaima_B_Dia like this.
    12-18-14 04:47 AM
    Tomorrow we are going to see this so called failure making money for BB
    12-18-14 05:37 AM
    There might be a bit more credibility if an actual news show made this report.
    Fox NonNews is not in that category. The Passport is doing just fine.
    T-star likes this.
    12-18-14 06:02 AM
    There is a certain irony to getting a non endorsement from Fox News. It has been well documented that Fox listeners are the least worldly and most uninformed of all Americans. It couldn't even get a license in Canada as a news station, it had to be licensed as entertainment along with Diva and TMZ. Sad but true.

Shouldn't we be happy about this? I think it means that BlackBerry is cool.

Posted via CB10
    clickitykeys and Doggerz like this.
    12-18-14 06:06 AM
201 123 ...