Can a new modem affect Wifi speeds on your phone?

I replaced my modem but kept the same router and router configuration and my download speeds are super fast but loading web pages is like on os6 now super slow.

A lot of times I have to take my phone off wifi to speed up my browser. My wife has the same problem with her 9810 also.

I work for comcast so I replaced the modem because they upped my speeds to 87mbps down and 10 up so I know its not a speed issue.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sent from my Bold using Tapatalk
    08-04-12 06:55 AM
    Have you deleted the profile, rebooted and then add it back?
    08-04-12 07:26 AM
    An easy way to find out would be to put the old modem back in and see if the blackberry speeds improve. If they do, then something the modem is doing is messing with your blackberry's.

In my experience, if something goes wrong after a change, then it's a good chance the change caused it.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    08-04-12 07:35 AM
    Have you deleted the profile, rebooted and then add it back?

What? Delete the wifi profile from my phone?

08-04-12 02:47 PM
    An easy way to find out would be to put the old modem back in and see if the blackberry speeds improve. If they do, then something the modem is doing is messing with your blackberry's.

In my experience, if something goes wrong after a change, then it's a good chance the change caused it.

Wish I could do that but that's not an option. I would have done the same but when it comes to modems once one is off your acct it becomes deactivated and can not be reactivated until it goes through the refurb process.

08-04-12 02:50 PM
    What? Delete the wifi profile from my phone?

Yes..............
    08-04-12 03:04 PM
    The modem is likely the problem since you noticed a loss of speed only after the new one was installed. The new modem may simply need a reset to factory default settings or it may be faulty.

First step is to put the old one back in service And see if things improve.
    08-04-12 07:16 PM
    A lot of broadband devices go through an adaptive process (can be up to about 7 days) to determine line quality and optimum service speed. Could this have been reactivated when the new modem was commissioned?

What you are describing is more characteristic of problems in the broadband leg rather than something slowing the WiFi. The place I see most problems would be slow DNS lookups, and/or the whole broadband segment running slow because shared upstream bandwidth is short of capacity (Olympics streaming?).
    08-04-12 07:25 PM
    A lot of broadband devices go through an adaptive process (can be up to about 7 days) to determine line quality and optimum service speed. Could this have been reactivated when the new modem was commissioned?

What you are describing is more characteristic of problems in the broadband leg rather than something slowing the WiFi. The place I see most problems would be slow DNS lookups, and/or the whole broadband segment running slow because shared upstream bandwidth is short of capacity (Olympics streaming?).
    08-04-12 07:25 PM
    Is it just the phones being slow? Do you have a laptop or tablet to verify wifi speed is the same or faster than the old set up? If you've verified wifi speed is faster, then delete and re-add your wifi profiles on your phones like mentioned above... possibly needing a re boot of the phones. If the wifi speed is verified to be not faster, you'll need to contact support for configuration help. Wish I could help more, but each hardware/set up combo is different.
    08-04-12 08:38 PM
    Yes its just the phones.

All the laptops and tablets are running at normal speeds.

I deleted the profile and re set it up and still nothing.

Stupid cisco modem, knew I should have gone with an ubee.

08-05-12 05:19 PM
    Have you looked to see if there is a newer firmware for the modem?
    08-05-12 05:21 PM
    Have you looked to see if there is a newer firmware for the modem?

Usually firmware gets pushed to a modem overnight without you needing to do it.

But oddly enough this afternoon I checked out the fw of the router and I wasn't running the latest. Updated that and its been working fine for hours. That seemed to do the trick.

It wasn't until a coworker asked if I did that. Its always the stupid simple things when its your own equip that you overlook.

08-07-12 12:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD