So the odd time a poster will compare QNX to WebOS. Come on now. Can we put this to rest for once and for all?

There is no comparison. The PB UI looks vaguely similar to WebOS but thats largely due to their only being so many options. I used webOS on one of their discontinued phones and I was really unimpressed. I think they actually tried to make the apps look card-like as opposed to actual windows you scroll between. On top of that it was extremely clunky, Nothing like the fluid motion of switching between apps on the PB. Now I feel some people try to use this comparison as a way to undermine the PB/QNX and there often isn't anyone to make counter arguments....why? Cause no one used/uses webOS. I realise thats an exageration since I'm sure 1 or 2 people did (jk).

Now maybe we can have a futher discussion on this. I could easily go on about why I think QNX/PB is superior although I feel I've already made my case. So what do other people think? I know we got users from all platforms here to chime in although this is a BB site so you'd assume a BB bias. I wouldn't mind having the same conversation on the webos site but I'm not a member there. So my opinion, PB/QNX is far superior to webos and should never be compared to webos. Other thoughts? What metrics should we use to compare?
    Last edited by hurds; 08-03-12 at 01:21 AM.
    08-03-12 01:18 AM
    Well they do look similar and one is pretty much dead while the other one still has a glimmer of hope.

For the record I perfer the round

I prefer the Webos's more rounded UI to the playbook 1.0 UI

I do like playbook OS 2.0 a lot though and think it looks the most professional of all the OSs out there.

08-03-12 09:28 AM
    Although similar, the Playbook is a much better experience. I also own a Touchpad, and don't see the big deal about the "cards".
    Gerii likes this.
    08-03-12 04:51 PM
    I liked WebOS, but I will not go as far as saying it is better. I tend to think that the so-called fluidity of an OS is in the eye of the beholder, and familiarity is a big part of that.

I think ecosystem has way more to do with the success of a platform than the OS itself. Right now, WebOS is done, so I don't give it props over any current OS... except those yet to be unveiled.
    08-03-12 04:56 PM
    What metrics should we use to compare?
    The experience of the end user. Period.

Why on Earth does everything OS, platform and device related have to devolve into'
    these silly comparisons / competitions.

People use what they like, are familiar with, and helps them get what they need to
    do done.

We can dissect each OS to death but your average end user could not care less.
    If what they have works for THEM, that is what is superior. Simple idea really.
    08-03-12 06:23 PM
    The touchpad was definitely not "clunky". In fact, its performance was much more consistent than the Playbook.

The multitasking strategy was also considerably more sophisticated and viable on this type of device. The Palm team really did know what they were doing.
    h20work and reeneebob like this.
    08-03-12 06:38 PM
    So the odd time a poster will compare QNX to WebOS. Come on now. Can we put this to rest for once and for all?

There is no comparison. The PB UI looks vaguely similar to WebOS but thats largely due to their only being so many options. I used webOS on one of their discontinued phones and I was really unimpressed. I think they actually tried to make the apps look card-like as opposed to actual windows you scroll between. On top of that it was extremely clunky, Nothing like the fluid motion of switching between apps on the PB. Now I feel some people try to use this comparison as a way to undermine the PB/QNX and there often isn't anyone to make counter arguments....why? Cause no one used/uses webOS. I realise thats an exageration since I'm sure 1 or 2 people did (jk).

Now maybe we can have a futher discussion on this. I could easily go on about why I think QNX/PB is superior although I feel I've already made my case. So what do other people think? I know we got users from all platforms here to chime in although this is a BB site so you'd assume a BB bias. I wouldn't mind having the same conversation on the webos site but I'm not a member there. So my opinion, PB/QNX is far superior to webos and should never be compared to webos. Other thoughts? What metrics should we use to compare?
    When you say you 'used' it, for how long? Did you own a Palm Pre or a Touchpad? Because I did and do, respectively, and I've also used a pre 3 for over a week as a primary device. The description of webos you are describing is not the one I lived with day in and day out for a year on the Pre, over a year now on my still used daily Touchpad, and the week on the Pre 3. It is smooth, fluid, and seamless switching between apps. I can and will put webos and the playbook os side by side and tell you that I find the webos to be the better. Now, you feel otherwise, and that's great and fine, but I would be interested I just how long you owned and used webos, the version of webos you used, and the model of pre hardware.

As far as making the switch windows card like, yeah, they did and that's why they called them cards. The idea was to be able to shuffle between them. Stack them. I prefer the cards to the windows myself but saying that they didn't get the design right because they don't seem like windows isn't a negative, they were never supposed to be windows. They were always meant to be cards that could be shuffled between.

I miss cards. *sigh* I would kill to get my hands on a Pre 3.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2
    08-03-12 06:42 PM
    I love QNX and the PB UI. Was WebOS only available on one carrier in the US? I never heard much about it before all the doom about it and then HP taking it and killing it about as fast as they got it.

I think i would've liked it.
    louzer likes this.
    08-03-12 07:07 PM
    I love QNX and the PB UI. Was WebOS only available on one carrier in the US? I never heard much about it before all the doom about it and then HP taking it and killing it about as fast as they got it.

I think i would've liked it.

I think it was initially a Sprint exclusive and then later available on Verizon and the death star.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-03-12 07:20 PM
    *strokes my touchpad*

pantlesspenguin and louzer like this.
    08-03-12 07:56 PM
    When you say you 'used' it, for how long? Did you own a Palm Pre or a Touchpad? Because I did and do, respectively, and I've also used a pre 3 for over a week as a primary device. The description of webos you are describing is not the one I lived with day in and day out for a year on the Pre, over a year now on my still used daily Touchpad, and the week on the Pre 3. It is smooth, fluid, and seamless switching between apps. I can and will put webos and the playbook os side by side and tell you that I find the webos to be the better. Now, you feel otherwise, and that's great and fine, but I would be interested I just how long you owned and used webos, the version of webos you used, and the model of pre hardware.

As far as making the switch windows card like, yeah, they did and that's why they called them cards. The idea was to be able to shuffle between them. Stack them. I prefer the cards to the windows myself but saying that they didn't get the design right because they don't seem like windows isn't a negative, they were never supposed to be windows. They were always meant to be cards that could be shuffled between.

How did you get your hands on that Pre 3? I have been looking and all I can find are the US and UK ones.
    08-03-12 08:19 PM
    How did you get your hands on that Pre 3? I have been looking and all I can find are the US and UK ones.
    I have a regular wireless customer who I got hooked on Palm. I actually called him and got him a Touchpad during the fire sale. Well, he has since amassed the following arsenal: Pre 1, 2, 3, Plus, Pixi, Pixi Plus, Veer, 32 GB Touchpad and a 64 Gb Pandapad (so jealous). He loans me phones to try the new hardware, so I've used a Pre 3 for almost two weeks, a veer for a couple of weeks (holy crap its small) and a pixi plus for a couple weeks.

The Pre 3 is what they should have released. Rock solid slider, the keyboard is wonderful, the screen is edge to edge gorilla glass... God it's a beautiful piece of wireless hardware.

08-03-12 08:57 PM
    I think it was initially a Sprint exclusive and then later available on Verizon and the death star.
    T-Mo gets no love.
    08-03-12 09:40 PM
    The experience of the end user. Period.

Why on Earth does everything OS, platform and device related have to devolve into'
    these silly comparisons / competitions

People use what they like, are familiar with, and helps them get what they need to
    do done.

We can dissect each OS to death but your average end user could not care less.
    If what they have works for THEM, that is what is superior. Simple idea really.
    I like how people post this kind of thing and get everyone agreeing. Do you not read other posts? People always love to say the stuff in bold when RIM might be seen as superior. 'Oh, lets not compare now guys come on'.

Please AG, if any member ever bashing RIM, says and thing about sales, specs, technology you better be the first one coming out with 'its end user experience. Period'
    Doubt you'll get all the likes then.

Oh, and lets not dissect each OS at all. Lets just all talk about how great the end user experience is. Whenever someone says something about great innovations coming lets just bring up 'end user experience'. Silly comparions? I can't believe you are actually serious. Quite the guise you have.
    08-03-12 11:47 PM
    The touchpad was definitely not "clunky". In fact, its performance was much more consistent than the Playbook.

The multitasking strategy was also considerably more sophisticated and viable on this type of device. The Palm team really did know what they were doing.
    Gotcha, So some random dude comes on talking about the PB being clunky from his experience but I can't say it about the tiny HP discontinued phone. It comes down to user experience period. Doesn't matter how long I owned it. App support is non-existant. Apparently the Palm team didn't know they were doing or theyd still be in business. Also haven't you heard?? I started another thread about the PB not being a failure but guess what, a good portion of the 'idontlikerimbutimstillheretobashthem' was telling me it was cause it didn't sell like the ipad. Well guess what, they put the touchpad on for 100 bucks and now its discontinued. It seems the palm team screwed up pretty big there.

I in no way dislike palm, webos or HP. I'm simply highlighting the astonishing double standard. Which I realise will likely go ignored and we will see some usual suspect say, "oh well webos had a card-type UI and multitasking, pretty much just like PB and its gone" as though thats anywhere close to relevant or intelligent.
    Last edited by hurds; 08-04-12 at 12:03 AM.
    08-03-12 11:55 PM
    *strokes my touchpad*

I'm honestly creeped out.
    08-03-12 11:56 PM

I used it at the store. Was turned off pretty quick. Didn't get a chance to use it other than that it got discontinued so fast. The touchpad barely hit shelves before they called it quits. What's your handle on the precentral web os place? I'd like to learn more about whats so great about it and you could point me to some good discussions.
    08-04-12 12:00 AM
    I used it at the store. Was turned off pretty quick. Didn't get a chance to use it other than that it got discontinued so fast. The touchpad barely hit shelves before they called it quits. What's your handle on the precentral web os place? I'd like to learn more about whats so great about it and you could point me to some good discussions.
    Exact same as here and all the mobile nations sites. I admit I haven't posted there in forever because it's pretty much died off but I still lurk to keep up with the cyanogen dual boot stuff. Although I don't think for one second you have any intention on learning about webos, since you've admitted to posting this thread to deliberately start something, misinformation be damned.

You really can't judge an entire operating system like you did from using it at the store for a few minutes as it sounds like you used a demo touchpad around release time. The first run of the touchpad version of webos was bad. There was an update shortly after release that fixed the lag issues. Also the demo models supplied by HP had a demo program installed that lagged the heck out of the Tablet. HP did itself no favours with the demo they sent out. That first update fixed a lot of issues but the demonstration mode
    was awful. I un installed it from our store version.

I figured it was a situation of momentarily playing with a store demo and not actually owning a device. No offense, but the fact that you presented an authoritative view of how bad webos was by momentarily using a demo store model makes your statement on how the OS was designed and operates day to day mean nothing. That opinion holds true for those who write off BBOS, iOS or Android from using a store demo. I can tell you in have put in enough time with a PlayBook to know that I prefer webos and touchpad (why I gave it back to my coworker to sell, he let me have his 32 GB playbook for over a week to see if I wanted to buy one when he went android all the way). I actually have owned and lived with all the mobile oses except symbian, anything I say is based off of actual day to day use not standing at a store display for 5 minutes.

Last edited by reeneebob; 08-04-12 at 06:50 AM.
    08-04-12 06:17 AM
    I like how people post this kind of thing and get everyone agreeing. Do you not read other posts? People always love to say the stuff in bold when RIM might be seen as superior. 'Oh, lets not compare now guys come on'.

Please AG, if any member ever bashing RIM, says and thing about sales, specs, technology you better be the first one coming out with 'its end user experience. Period'
    Doubt you'll get all the likes then.

Oh, and lets not dissect each OS at all. Lets just all talk about how great the end user experience is. Whenever someone says something about great innovations coming lets just bring up 'end user experience'. Silly comparions? I can't believe you are actually serious. Quite the guise you have.
    So this whole thread had a motive behind it, an agenda?

Suddenly it all seems quite clear what you were up to.

h20work and drjay868 like this.
    08-04-12 06:19 AM
    Gotcha, So some random dude comes on talking about the PB being clunky from his experience but I can't say it about the tiny HP discontinued phone. It comes down to user experience period. Doesn't matter how long I owned it. App support is non-existant. Apparently the Palm team didn't know they were doing or theyd still be in business. Also haven't you heard?? I started another thread about the PB not being a failure but guess what, a good portion of the 'idontlikerimbutimstillheretobashthem' was telling me it was cause it didn't sell like the ipad. Well guess what, they put the touchpad on for 100 bucks and now its discontinued. It seems the palm team screwed up pretty big there.

I in no way dislike palm, webos or HP. I'm simply highlighting the astonishing double standard. Which I realise will likely go ignored and we will see some usual suspect say, "oh well webos had a card-type UI and multitasking, pretty much just like PB and its gone" as though thats anywhere close to relevant or intelligent.
    Be careful, your agenda is showing. Also, FYI, app support isn't non existent, webos is famous for its home brew community and had you actually, you know, researched before posting your little lesson on webos you'd know the touchpad is easily dual booted to Android and actually also runs android better than most android tablets. And believe me, app support most definitely exists for both preware and android.

Nice try, but you may want to research a little more next time you try to prove your point. Now I realize your point was never
    accurate information but to try to start some kind of trouble, so nothing anyone says to correct your misinformation matters.

Last edited by reeneebob; 08-04-12 at 06:48 AM.
    08-04-12 06:23 AM
    It's all opinion anyway. Yours, mine, someone else's. When it's all said and done the one that matters is your own.
    h20work, louzer and reeneebob like this.
    08-04-12 06:47 AM
    It's all opinion anyway. Yours, mine, someone else's. When it's all said and done the one that matters is your own.
    Agreed. I have a bad habit of needing to correct misinformation though. There are people still actively looking for touchpads. A little over a month ago I had someone come up to me in the food court asking if I had a Touchpad, I showed them how it was dual booted and the cards and they offered me $300 on the spot for it because it ran ICS android better than their Android tablet (Galaxy tab 10.1) and they thought the cards were cool. I declined... Lol I do love my touchpad.
    08-04-12 06:57 AM
    Agreed. I have a bad habit of needing to correct misinformation though. There are people still actively looking for touchpads. A little over a month ago I had someone come up to me in the food court asking if I had a Touchpad, I showed them how it was dual booted and the cards and they offered me $300 on the spot for it because it ran ICS android better than their Android tablet (Galaxy tab 10.1) and they thought the cards were cool. I declined... Lol I do love my touchpad.

I must have missed the "misinformation" you keep referring to. What was it?

08-04-12 07:21 AM
    I must have missed the "misinformation" you keep referring to. What was it?

I consider declaring an entire OS and a devices performance a failure based on playing with a store demo model for a couple of minutes misinformation regardless of the OS in question. Not all will hold that view but I will. Also declaring that the windows in webos don't function properly because it appears they look more like cards? They ARE cards and were never intended to be windows.

08-04-12 07:30 AM
    I consider declaring an entire OS and a devices performance a failure based on playing with a store demo model for a couple of minutes misinformation regardless of the OS in question. Not all will hold that view but I will. Also declaring that the windows in webos don't function properly because it appears they look more like cards? They ARE cards and were never intended to be windows.

I don't think that's misinformation. I think the user doesn't like webos and you do.

08-04-12 07:34 AM
79 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD