Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast
Like Tree105Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default "We need tools not toys"

Rim is listening. I feel that we have been heard. When I seen that Bold commerical I almost spit my water in the floor trying to laugh.
    Rim is awake.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    If ur sexy>>>pm me

I still have a 9700...I can accomplish an incredible amount of tasks in short order....Even on my 9700, I'd like to see any iOS or Android device accomplish the same as what I can do in 5 minutes on my 9700

I like the slogan
    "I gotta Z10......I gotta Z10....Hey...Hey...Hey....Hey"........
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,793 Global Posts

Not seen here yet. Anyone able to post it?
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,122 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AB9C463

Trying to find a copy, nowhere to be found so far. I guess the OP is talking about the restaurant supplier. I have also seen a few other ones, but that tagline was pretty funny. I saw it during a hockey game on TV, weird that RIM isn't playing them on their website.

Here ya go
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-be-...s-hit-airwaves
    Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum...
    Z10 (v10.2.x.xxx Rogers), Playbook (v2.1.0.1314) | Rooted SGS IV
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,793 Global Posts
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
    Thanked by 2:
    OniBerry (02-02-2012),  recompile (02-02-2012) 
    OniBerry and recompile like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,448 Global Posts
    PIN
    268CF108

It's a great tag line. A lot better than the "let's rock and roll this" bs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Twitter: xandermac
    OniBerry, ekv and BB_Bmore like this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,361 Global Posts

Great to see them finally getting it. It is not true in that I don't find BB any more productive, and I would take the previous poster's challenge. However, they should take the position that it is their target and for many true. They need to play on it like in this commercial.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VZW iPhone 5 32GB / Blk

(HTC 8x WP8, BB Z10, iPhone 4S, Droid Incredible 2, BB Storm2, BB 9650 prior.)
    GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,395 Global Posts

Way to send a clear message to all those app/game makers: "We don't need no stinking games!" Great job.
    Jeovex likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,448 Global Posts
    PIN
    268CF108

Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Way to send a clear message to all those app/game makers: "We don't need no stinking games!" Great job.
    Not to mention to the consumer, it sort of says "don't expect to have any fun on this device".

Still a good tag line tho.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xandermac; 02-02-2012 at 07:13 PM.
    Twitter: xandermac
    tjioer, yuvaraki and Jeovex like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by 13echo4 View Post
    Rim is listening. I feel that we have been heard. When I seen that Bold commerical I almost spit my water in the floor trying to laugh.
    Rim is awake.
    yep, saw that one on lettermen last night. Sounds like they are listing.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

Those adds are pretty useless. Hardly any screen time for the device, and nothing in any of those commercials gives a customer a reason to buy a BB. Other than BBM, which in the US isn't s huge draw, those commercials dont show anything about a BB that any other smartphone can't match. In a merket where RIM is going well these ads would be great. In a market where RIM is struggling and needs to win back some market share, useless.
    mokeikoberry likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,395 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xandermac View Post
    Not to mention to the consumer, it sort of says "don't expect to have any fun on this device".

Still a good tag line tho.
    Just can't agree that it is a good tag line. It is a line neither RIM, nor its fans believe or want to be true. While saying it's not a toy, they are doing everything within their power to make it just as much a toy as the devices with which they hope to compete. It is transparent sophistry.

It is like Samsung making fun of the iPhone lines that they would sell their grandmothers to Foxcon for. It is also extremely deceptive, as in a bald-faced lie, to suggest that devices that have lots of games are useless for productivity. It is only a good slogan if intended to attract mindless automatons: you know, the kind BB fans accuse iFans of being, yet desperately want to attract.
    ugahairydawgs likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,361 Global Posts

After seeing them a few times, I will not say they are good commercials. I think RIM does need to make a case for efficiency and capability. They need to show they rule in this area where they shine.

Once again these are commercials that show nothing and provide no examples of what is better. I happen to think the BB UI is great looking yet they rarely show much of it. It almost seems like they don't know what is better or how to show it. I will also say that I think BBM is not a selling point. I would say that 90% of all people I know on BB don't use BBM. Some of you might be diehards, but most people I know want a cross platform IM or use texts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VZW iPhone 5 32GB / Blk

(HTC 8x WP8, BB Z10, iPhone 4S, Droid Incredible 2, BB Storm2, BB 9650 prior.)
    mokeikoberry likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vrs626 View Post
    Those adds are pretty useless. Hardly any screen time for the device, and nothing in any of those commercials gives a customer a reason to buy a BB. Other than BBM, which in the US isn't s huge draw, those commercials dont show anything about a BB that any other smartphone can't match. In a merket where RIM is going well these ads would be great. In a market where RIM is struggling and needs to win back some market share, useless.
    But at least RIM is getting out there and advertising. And we all know they really need to advertise. They don't necessarily need an ad for a specific device, just a generic Blackberry ad. I think a series of witty ads is not a bad idea.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,106 Global Posts

A user still uses a 'tool' for entertainment and apps.

The Martinez brothers used tools (not toys) to create dj music

The people in BB commercials are using tools (not toys).

Successful people are telling us they use the Bold
    recompile likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,122 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AB9C463

Maybe it is the beginning of a major marketing thrust. Each small featurette has a message or something, they could have a 'fun' one or 'entertainment' one.
    Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum...
    Z10 (v10.2.x.xxx Rogers), Playbook (v2.1.0.1314) | Rooted SGS IV
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

They have older commercials that are better and show a harmony of both fun and work...

But then again, these probably had a lot to do with AT&T and less to do with RIM. I don't really consider it a step forward to segregate the two...
    Banned

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

Why would customers not want both a tool and a toy in the same package? Don't see how this helps attract the youth.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

It's about building awareness and a name. One ad will not change things, it takes a multi-pronged approach. Most ads aren't going to be a 30-sec review of the device. Look at the VZW ads for Droids. They hardly show the phone doing any ACTUAL tasks, but they can cut through telephone poles and be held by tiny points in a gyroscope because it's "razr" thin... Did showing silhouettes of dancing people with white headphones show off the device? No, but it made people think they had to have one. Talking about it's strengths is a step along the path. 400 emails a day, that's bound to catch a few people's attention. And it's not all BBM. The DJs talked about Twitter, never mentioned BBM.

When it comes down to it, do you carry your smartphone because you may need it to play some games or as a communication tool? All smartphones can do both but tend to be more suited for one than the other.

I understand that there's a contingent of posters who meticulously dissect and speculate every move that RIM makes to find any possible hint of failure and promote it, but I think it's a little premature to call this one.
    Last edited by TheScionicMan; 02-02-2012 at 08:25 PM.
    They talk about me like a dog, talkin' about the clothes I wear
    But they don't realize they're the ones who's square.
    Thanked by 3:
    jafobabe (02-02-2012),  qbnkelt (02-05-2012) 

"I want action, not distraction."

That's a good start. Next batch of ads must be better thou, maybe show soke 9860s and say how media-friendly they are?
    Quick Help BLACKBERRY HELP 101 | Direct load Android (APK) Apps : BB10 10.2.1|Sideloading apps: BB10/PlayBook | Update/Reload Software: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Debrick: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Backup 3rd Party Apps: BB7.1- - PlayBook & BB10: Just use BB Link | Battery Saving: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10

Got a question? diego.nei@mobilenations.com | My Apps: Papo GP | Papo GP 10 | My Channel: Project Management BBM Channel

Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Just can't agree that it is a good tag line. It is a line neither RIM, nor its fans believe or want to be true. While saying it's not a toy, they are doing everything within their power to make it just as much a toy as the devices with which they hope to compete. It is transparent sophistry.

It is like Samsung making fun of the iPhone lines that they would sell their grandmothers to Foxcon for. It is also extremely deceptive, as in a bald-faced lie, to suggest that devices that have lots of games are useless for productivity. It is only a good slogan if intended to attract mindless automatons: you know, the kind BB fans accuse iFans of being, yet desperately want to attract.
    Of course, users would rather hear that their their phone is magical. That's much more firmly rooted in reality.
    Ed

Be bold. Be pantless. Then go take a nice long nap.
    qbnkelt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepngbear View Post
    Of course, users would rather hear that their their phone is magical. That's much more firmly rooted in reality.
    On the contrary, based on the relative success of the platforms at this time, "magical" is exactly what users want to hear.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    386 Global Posts

I've always liked blackberrys commercials. They show real life people using the phone in real life situations. Imo they are better than any phone commercials. The new ones are spot on with what blackberry is. Especially the line we need tools not toys.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,349 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

Quote Originally Posted by TheScionicMan View Post
    It's about building awareness and a name. One ad will not change things, it takes a multi-pronged approach. Most ads aren't going to be a 30-sec review of the device. Look at the VZW ads for Droids. They hardly show the phone doing any ACTUAL tasks, but they can cut through telephone poles and be held by tiny points in a gyroscope because it's "razr" thin... Did showing silhouettes of dancing people with white headphones show off the device? No, but it made people think they had to have one. Talking about it's strengths is a step along the path. 400 emails a day, that's bound to catch a few people's attention. And it's not all BBM. The DJs talked about Twitter, never mentioned BBM.

When it comes down to it, do you carry your smartphone because you may need it to play some games or as a communication tool? All smartphones can do both but tend to be more suited for one than the other.

I understand that there's a contingent of posters who meticulously dissect and speculate every move that RIM makes to find any possible hint of failure and promote it, but I think it's a little premature to call this one.
    This guy understands
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,106 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kassdog View Post
    I've always liked blackberrys commercials. They show real life people using the phone in real life situations. Imo they are better than any phone commercials. The new ones are spot on with what blackberry is. Especially the line we need tools not toys.

I agree I like BB commercials. They need to show it more often.

It's like a new song on the radio. I hear it the first time and it's okay...I hear it 5 more times and I start to like it

That's seems to be one marketing technique Apple uses...play the commercials a lot....like a new song on the radio
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast