Cant bbry start their own secured email service, just like gmail with enhance sucurity like protonmail? Or bbry own security system?

Posted via CB10
    08-06-14 01:12 AM
    Everyone wants this soooo bad!

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3247 O2 UK
    velkod likes this.
    08-06-14 01:56 AM
    I'm one of them

Be proud - BlackBerry by Choice
    08-06-14 02:15 AM
    The problem with secured mail is that it needs to be secure on both ends.

This is fine if it's your own server and it's between people on your organisation but the second you email out to a friend then it goes vanilla. It may be wrapped in SSL connections but ultimately it's crackable but NSA type organisations.

One option you have is to encrypt on your phone with a 2048bit+ key using something like pgpgp (check in BBW, it's in there for �2) and they need to have your public key and the same software the other end. At least this way it truly is encrypted while in transport.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-14 02:17 AM
    2048 is a bit over the top, but agree with the logic

Sent from my Asus ZenFone 5 via Tapatalk Pro
    08-06-14 02:22 AM
    There would be a cost involved in setting up such a service and an ongoing cost in keeping it operational.

The question is how many people would be willing to pay a subscription fee for it? I don't think enough people would to make it a viable venture.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    08-06-14 03:52 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=794697

My thread from a year ago.
    I basically demanded the same and then some.

There would be a cost involved in setting up such a service and an ongoing cost in keeping it operational.

The question is how many people would be willing to pay a subscription fee for it? I don't think enough people would to make it a viable venture.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    And this is where I believe that you might be wrong.
    It should be easy to get the tinfoil crowd.
    The privacy/security oriented prosumer, who understands what Snowden's revelation mean, should be easily to get as well.

The rest of the market is a big question mark though.
    I am sure that people who are being oppressed by their government and where free speech is a dream, might be interested as well.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-14 04:20 AM
    BlackBerry Service Revenue Solutions - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

My thread from a year ago.
    I basically demanded the same and then some.

And this is where I believe that you might be wrong.
    It should be easy to get the tinfoil crowd.
    The privacy/security oriented prosumer, who understands what Snowden's revelation mean, should be easily to get as well.

The rest of the market is a big question mark though.
    I am sure that people who are being oppressed by their government and where free speech is a dream, might be interested as well.

Posted via CB10
    And even then, the moment you send an email to anyone who doesn't use that email service, nobody can guarantee your privacy. If 99% of people don't use that service, then that service is useless for 95% (let's assume you convince most of your friends to join you) of emails you send.
    08-06-14 04:31 AM
    There would be a cost involved in setting up such a service and an ongoing cost in keeping it operational. The question is how many people would be willing to pay a subscription fee for it? I don't think enough people would to make it a viable venture.
    Many people would pay for it. And more and more would pay when people begin to understand what privacy means. Costs are a secondary problem. A much more complex problem is standardization. You need a world wide standard (or at least an accepted nearby standard like an RFC). And you need providers who fill that standard with their heart bleed. And you need users who use this new standard even if it's not compatible. Some hundred millions of fools (even companies) use Gmail, Hotmail and Facebook instead because they have almost no confidence about privacy.
    08-06-14 04:34 AM
    Many people would pay for it. And more and more would pay when people begin to understand what privacy means. Costs are a secondary problem. A much more complex problem is standardization. You need a world wide standard (or at least an accepted nearby standard like an RFC). And you need providers who fill that standard with their heart bleed. And you need users who use this new standard even if it's not compatible. Some hundred millions of fools (even companies) use Gmail, Hotmail and Facebook instead because they have almost no confidence about privacy.
    Why don't you guys use PGP (pretty good privacy)?
    08-06-14 04:46 AM
    Why don't you guys use PGP (pretty good privacy)?
    For two reasons: 1) PGP doesn't encrypt the meta data at all. But the meta data are in many cases more interesting than the contents. 2) Many many people are not able to configure PGP on their machines. It's just impossible. Forget it.
    08-06-14 05:10 AM
    Yes, it will involve cost but I believe there is a niche market for secured and private email. Large organisations, professionals, businessmen alike are some potentials users. We can have other email for normal use, and secured email for workd, business or others where security of data/content is critical/important

Posted via CB10
    08-06-14 05:20 AM