Um, a revolutionary device with WOW factor would be what the programs/users in TRON use, a disk that stores what they do and learn. Of course, it will also have to communicate (and not just at the I/O tower). But, the technology is not quite there yet. The rest of the specs mentioned is just another slab phone. Having high specs is ok; but for those who just want/need to communicate with it, it doesn't help. I don't know how I would feel about another Android phone, though.

Some consumers would look at the phone and give it a try, but I think many will stay where they're at because that's what they are used to. You have to come up with something more compelling than "oh, this will do that, too, and faster;" more likely something more along the lines of "only this can do what you need."
    06-01-15 10:20 AM
    Not a bad idea...
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-01-15 10:47 AM
    Nah, I already have my Passport.

Also, this is incredibly unrealistic. Beastly specs but lower price? Why not give the things away? If they're gonna lose all their money and kill the company by doing that, then might as well go out with a bang.

The future is generation old Samsung components. And that's ok.

Work Wide and Prosper
    last_attempt likes this.
    06-01-15 10:57 AM
    I just don't see it working because of the 2 possible scenarios-

1) it keeps BB10, and the immediate verdict from John Q Public is "it has no apps". It'll be another Z10/Z30/Playbook disaster.

2) it gets an Android re-skin, has app compatibility, and JQP just asks "why not just buy one of the million other Android phones out there?"

The thing is, to stand out, as you say, it practically has to have the PKB. If the Zlider ships with BB-skinned Android and full PKB support, then that is indeed very far off the beaten path and would get noticed. I wouldn't care if it's not true BB10, so long as BlackBerry is responsible for maintaining and updating its fork of the OS.

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, Verizon, no camera, 10.3.2.680
    passport1 and Mecca EL like this.
    06-01-15 10:58 AM
    I think something similar to what OP suggests is imminent.

I predict that the already announced BlackBerry Suite for android will be released on a Samsung galaxy note V variant with limited time exclusivity.

This:

allows BB10 to retain the Android runtime.

Falls in line with verified partnerships and timelines established by statements directly from BlackBerry.

Would position BlackBerry software suite as a value add on to a popular device with far larger projected sales numbers than any device BlackBerry would release independently at this point.

Would likely be marketed/ advertised by Samsung.

Would expose BlackBerry to a wide audience while presenting 0 barrier to adoption.

!
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-01-15 11:14 AM
    It's unrealistic to think that BlackBerry could produce a compelling revolutionary mobile devices when they are cutting hardware expenses compared to companies like Apple, Google, Samsung, Microsoft, etc. Developing this kind of device takes a lot of time and money which is exactly what BlackBerry lack and what its competitors have plenty of.

So, not only is it not going to happen but it doesn't even make strategic sense. Soon, people will be recommending that Samsung put a "BlackBerry" brand on one of their existing devices along with a skin.
    ccbs likes this.
    06-01-15 11:14 AM
    I have no problem with Samsung helping with hardware. The idea of them supplying the display for the slider is great IMO. I just don't want them doing full hardware as I feel it will cheapen the Blackberry brand a little bit. Blackberry hardware is pretty damn top notched while Samsung is a typical 2year life expectancy hardware maker. I would still buy it but probably put much less faith in it. If it were run by android I would go Apple or Microsoft..... and I realllllly don't want to do that.
    ArcPlug and KingOfQwerty like this.
    06-01-15 11:47 AM
    What's the hardon about 4GB of RAM on a BlackBerry phone? Is BB10 that bad it needs that much memory? iOS devices still have 2GB and up until recently cleaned the floor of any mobile OS with a measly 2GB of RAM...

We need a "Revolutionary" device with a "WOW" factor-screen-shot-2015-06-01-1.11.28-pm.png
    We need a "Revolutionary" device with a "WOW" factor-screen-shot-2015-06-01-1.11.35-pm.png
    We need a "Revolutionary" device with a "WOW" factor-screen-shot-2015-06-01-1.11.54-pm.png

Links:
    iPhone, iPad, and iPod Benchmarks - Geekbench Browser
    BlackBerry Benchmarks - Geekbench Browser
    Android Benchmarks - Geekbench Browser
    passport1 likes this.
    06-01-15 12:13 PM
    Yes it would be nice if Blackberry came out with an incredible phone - but I doubt that it would change anything.

The battle lines are drawn and the consumers have made their choices. What is left for Blackberry is the business market and Blackberry aficionados. I can't see Chen investing or throwhing $300 million or more into a marketing campaign. The average consumer wants an iPhone or Android. Blackberry has an image of old tech - old school - of the black phone with buttons clipped to a belt in a leather pouch. I have used legacy devices and now Q5's and Z30. I still think that BlackBerry's OS is the best one around.

Let's see what the numbers say in the next quartely report which is due -- I think on the 23rd of June.
    06-01-15 12:27 PM
    What's the hardon about 4GB of RAM on a BlackBerry phone? Is BB10 that bad it needs that much memory? iOS devices still have 2GB and up until recently cleaned the floor of any mobile OS with a measly 2GB of RAM...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-06-01 at 1.11.28 PM.png 
Views:	701 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	355483

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-06-01 at 1.11.35 PM.png 
Views:	702 
Size:	167.5 KB 
ID:	355484

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-06-01 at 1.11.54 PM.png 
Views:	700 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	355485

Links:
    iPhone, iPad, and iPod Benchmarks - Geekbench Browser
    BlackBerry Benchmarks - Geekbench Browser
    Android Benchmarks - Geekbench Browser
    Well since we run android apps in a emulator and all the next generation flagships will have 4 gb. BlackBerry wants to give at least a competitive user experience to android they need higher specs.

Posted via CB10
    passport1 and Mecca EL like this.
    06-01-15 12:34 PM
    Haha. We've been waiting for BlackBerry to do that a long time ago. Plus, doesn't BB PKB devices outsell the all-touch? All they have to do is release one high-end all-touch and one high-end pkb each year. I don't even care if they don't low-end phones anymore.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    passport1 and AthenaSmith like this.
    06-01-15 01:14 PM
    The only part I agree with is that they need a wow factor device. But specs has nothing to do with that. The device itself has to have the wow factor. It has to be something people want to own. Something they feel will give them a wow factor, something that's too cool not to buy. If BlackBerry were to make that device, it would not have android on it. Samsung already makes some really cool devices, why would anybody that doesn't buy BlackBerry now pick up a BlackBerry android instead of a Samsung android? And why would Samsung help BlackBerry make a product that directly competes with their own devices? It doesn't make any sense to me.
    If BlackBerry does make a smokin' hot all touch BB10 device with a wow factor, IMO they still wouldn't sell an incredible amount. Maybe enough to make the hardware division profitable, but likely not much more, if even that. I don't think they're going to sell huge amounts of hardware until the next generation of smartphone buyers comes up. The ones that don't have any history with BBOS and don't care that it says BlackBerry on it. Then they have an opportunity to re-invent themselves.

Posted via CB10
    KingOfQwerty and AthenaSmith like this.
    06-01-15 01:32 PM
    I like OP's general idea but I wonder whether or not having amazing specs would really matter to the average consumer... the specs won't be better than an S6 or LG G3 most likely, but even if they were - kids are not buying BlackBerry to play games on, you know? So why would the average business user or fan (like us) need an octa-core device? Specs are not a throwaway but I think they're not the most critical thing, either.
    I for one am hopeful that this 'slider' device will be a knockout in terms of design and functionality...it certainly sounds awesome...

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    06-01-15 01:36 PM
    I'll just chime in again on the 'BB skinned Android' idea, (either they make the phone or make a BB laucher and sell it) I myself still think it would be a good addition to BB's own phones.
    I know if I was phone/App shopping and saw and ad like this, it would really get my attention...

Blackberry Android Smartphone
    Everything you love about Blackberry AND Everything you love about Android, all in one phone
    Don't settle for one or the other, have it all
    • Blackberry's Hub
    • Blackberry Security
    • Android Apps, widgets and customization
    • 5.5 inch full touch screen (if they made the whole phone, not just a laucher)
    • Full Googleplay access

Wouldn't it be kind of easy for the programmers to make a BB skin on a fully functional Android code? Seems like they could make a BB laucher that gives the hub and stuff really easy.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-01-15 01:48 PM
    So, a Galaxy with a little more juice and a BlackBerry sticker on the back? Where's the wow in that?

If you want a BlackBerry all touch that's fine, but there's no wow in making another glass slab.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 01:58 PM
    Maybe it's just me, but a nice big beautifully designed touch screen, that lets me have widgets (look at the home screen thread, so many are trying to get clocks and weather on their homescreen so we must like it) and the actual hub to the left of home, to me, that would be the ultimate phone.
    06-01-15 02:02 PM
    Ehhmmm.... Wow phone... yes..
    Android with BB10 skin....NO!!

Imo that's just another Android phone... and I left Android because of Google/Android .....
    Let BlackBerry just be BlackBerry... give the people who want Android runtime their runtime.. But let other BlackBerry users who don't want or don't give a damn alone...

Posted via my awesome Classic
    06-01-15 02:04 PM
    haha, I guess were both passionate in our opinion on this
    06-01-15 02:25 PM
    Perhaps all those people who were laid off, recently, from the hardware operations could go ahead and design the device and the UI before they leave.
    06-01-15 02:52 PM
    I would prefer Android with stock UI than Android with BB10 UI.
    06-01-15 03:15 PM
    I'll just chime in again on the 'BB skinned Android' idea, (either they make the phone or make a BB laucher and sell it) I myself still think it would be a good addition to BB's own phones.
    I know if I was phone/App shopping and saw and ad like this, it would really get my attention...

Everything you love about Blackberry AND Everything you love about Android, all in one phone
    • Blackberry's Hub
    • Blackberry Security
    • Full Googleplay access

Wouldn't it be kind of easy for the programmers to make a BB skin on a fully functional Android code? Seems like they could make a BB laucher that gives the hub and stuff really easy.
    Exactly, now you have their attention!!!!
    06-01-15 03:19 PM
    And maybe they could still have their jobs if they'd have done this a yer ago
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-01-15 03:26 PM
    Personally, if I wanted an Android phone, that's what I would buy! The Classic is everything I want in a phone and I'm happy with it. Not everyone wants apps and games and ads galore on their phone! BlackBerry gives me performance and quality and security and a great touchscreen and keyboard. I wouldn't buy an android with a bb skin, or an iOS with a bb skin. The day will come when BlackBerry gets out of the hardware business altogether and I'll have to make that decision then. For now, I'm happy to have a great performing phone that is upgraded on a regular basis.

Using my BlackBerry Classic :-)
    06-01-15 03:30 PM
    Yes, many do not want this, many do. It's why I said, In Addition to, not instead of.
    I want widgets, I want customization, but I also want the hub. Not a hub app, but a real working hub.
    06-01-15 03:39 PM

• Blackberry's Hub
    • Blackberry Security
    • Full Googleplay access

It could have been in development for a while now. Given the recent company transition, it makes less and less sense to focus major investment on BB10 while enterprise security software is where the future will be. There is no way for BBRY to afford the same development budget of iOS and Android team, so it is time to cut the loss. At this point with shrinking revenue, it is time to downsize the mobile OS and device department to just focusing on using Android with a BB10 launcher.

One more thing I noticed from the recent PR from BBRY, Chen is finally waking up and starts to attack their image problem. Like I mentioned long time ago, BBRY had and still have a image problem where it is recognized as a device maker instead of a enterprise software solution provider. From the recent PR from BBRY, it is pretty clear that BBRY is de-emphasizing BB10 device and put focus on the platform-neutral nature of BES12. This is definitely a good development for the future of BBRY.
    06-01-15 03:52 PM
157 1234 ...