It could have been in development for a while now. Given the recent company transition, it makes less and less sense to focus major investment on BB10 while enterprise security software is where the future will be. There is no way for BBRY to afford the same development budget of iOS and Android team, so it is time to cut the loss. At this point with shrinking revenue, it is time to downsize the mobile OS and device department to just focusing on using Android with a BB10 launcher.

One more thing I noticed from the recent PR from BBRY, Chen is finally waking up and starts to attack their image problem. Like I mentioned long time ago, BBRY had and still have a image problem where it is recognized as a device maker instead of a enterprise software solution provider. From the recent PR from BBRY, it is pretty clear that BBRY is de-emphasizing BB10 device and put focus on the platform-neutral nature of BES12. This is definitely a good development for the future of BBRY.
    Yes agree!
    06-01-15 03:59 PM
    While many here might LOVE a Samsung Note Edge with a BB10 skin on it.....

Not sure that the market would see it as revolutionary or even as a wow device. Especially if the BB10 skin along with the BlackBerry Experience work the same as most other early BlackBerry software releases in the last few years.

Chen is running a business, and he is only going to put his money where he "thinks" it will get a return. I think sales of the Passport, Classic and Leap have only made the chance of some flagship all touch even less likely.
    06-01-15 04:02 PM
  3. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Yes , would like to see "revolutionary" phone but want it to be blackberry os...

And pkb....
    06-01-15 04:53 PM
    Me too, I'd 'prefer' a competitive OS 10 experience, but seems everyone is saying bb has no way to catch up and phones aren't their priority. That's the only reason I think an easy android solution might work. I can't imagine never having the Hub again in the future
    06-01-15 05:33 PM
    The revolutionary device would need to be something developed in-house. Repackaging a Samsung (looking at the full touch slabs here) with a BlackBerry sticker won't wow anyone, unless it ran BB10, in which case we're still stuck with a small subset of users. Why would it grow the number of users when people can just buy the Samsung and have real Android? I think BlackBerry recognizes this and that's why we have the Passport and upcoming Slider. There aren't comparable devices in the other OS'es world.
    06-01-15 06:52 PM
    While I want a high spec phone to power peripherals, etc, what is most important is to have a "proper" marketing program that is designed to sell "ice cubes to Alaskans/Minnesotans" (was going to use another term, but trying to stay PC.
    06-01-15 06:55 PM
    I'll just chime in again on the 'BB skinned Android' idea, (either they make the phone or make a BB laucher and sell it) I myself still think it would be a good addition to BB's own phones.
    I know if I was phone/App shopping and saw and ad like this, it would really get my attention...

Blackberry Android Smartphone
    Everything you love about Blackberry AND Everything you love about Android, all in one phone
    Don't settle for one or the other, have it all
    • Blackberry's Hub
    • Blackberry Security
    • Android Apps, widgets and customization
    • 5.5 inch full touch screen (if they made the whole phone, not just a laucher)
    • Full Googleplay access

Wouldn't it be kind of easy for the programmers to make a BB skin on a fully functional Android code? Seems like they could make a BB laucher that gives the hub and stuff really easy.
    Time to start saving 800 dollars for an iphone

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 07:11 PM
    The revolutionary device would need to be something developed in-house. Repackaging a Samsung (looking at the full touch slabs here) with a BlackBerry sticker won't wow anyone, unless it ran BB10, in which case we're still stuck with a small subset of users. Why would it grow the number of users when people can just buy the Samsung and have real Android? I think BlackBerry recognizes this and that's why we have the Passport and upcoming Slider. There aren't comparable devices in the other OS'es world.
    I guess to me, a real android isn't such a plus, I'd like blackberry to use their platform and make it really good
    06-01-15 07:31 PM
    I guess to me, a real android isn't such a plus, I'd like blackberry to use their platform and make it really good
    I would too, but realistically, it would be an expensive device and I think only a small number of users would actually buy it. There are already problems with getting people to adopt BB10 and adding price as a barrier isn't going to help. Windows Phone, for example, didn't increase their market share until they got low-end devices out there. The question is whether those low-end devices, in number, would be enough to entice developers or would those type of users just be looking for throw away type devices, on their way to Android or iOS.

As some have remarked:

1. Full slab high-end alienates BlackBerry's physical keyboard users.
    2. Full Android alienates BB10 users.
    3. BB10 with Android Runtime won't necessarily grow the market share.

BlackBerry needs to make a lot of devices to please everyone and they're not going to have that economy of scale.
    06-01-15 08:10 PM
    I think form factor is still very important. I honestly believe BB should go back to flip design of the Stlye 9670. Just bring BB 10, make it run google play and amazon, still have the full keyboard. large phones will become a dying bred in the next few years as tastes will change...look at all the work going into a smart watch. Anyway, back to future is where i think the revolutionary device can come from. The classic is a start. for those who have forgotten, a trackball is way faster to scroll than draggin your finger down a glass screen or flicking it down.

Just my opinion
    06-01-15 08:28 PM
    Seems the one thing over looked here is what exactly revolutionary any more..... As the smartphone market has matures it really is harder to innovate... something that is the foundation of any revolutionary product... The whole OS war is basically smoke and mirrors... all the major OS out there IOS, Android, BB and WP do basically same thing albiet differently ... you can parse how thing are done on your phone versus others... but in the end it is personal preference not actual reality... Specs mean little in the long run as whatever is bleeding edge today is old news six months from now... there goes the wow factor.....so what is the point? BB has moved into niche market probably never to return,.., those who look as Samsung as some kind of savior have not studied history... Like all large companies... ( think Apple ) and Samsung in particular have a history of chewing up and spitting out all kinds of partnerships.... in the end there is no better.... only what you think is better...
    06-01-15 09:16 PM
    I like it. Make it 4 gigs of ram and we have a deal
    What exactly will 4 GB enable you to do?
    Irish Blues likes this.
    06-01-15 09:18 PM
    As good as the Samsung edge series is, its not an long impacting look. It defiantly has the WOW factor down pat,but it will fade. It's comparable to music today as compared to music of the past that even a younger crowd still listens to

I know they've partnered with Samsung,to what extent, no one really knows for sure.
    All OS conversation's aside though, If they were to sublet the hardware to another company, I think they should do it to Sony.
    Their devices in my opinion have that classic,elegant and beautiful look that Blackberry's are known for. Like the Bold 9930.

Sony has pretty good hardware as well. While the Passport has the best camera so far on a Blackberry, imagine it with Sony's optics.
    And while somewhat gimmicky, the whole waterproofing system would be nice add on as well.
    Maybe even be able to tie in the PS4 compatibility.

It almost seems kinda logical.
    Sony is thinking about ditching their mobile division.
    Blackberry doesn't completely want out of the hardware, but they could sublet it to Sony to save on costs. BlackBerry would assist on design and can stick to the software.

Its almost a win win for both companies.
    Sony cuts out while saving money on a flooded market while increasing incoming capital by building device for BlackBerry.
    Blackberry saves money from building and the R&D of devices by using Sony's tech and factory's.

Two companies that are slightly hurting joining together to make an awesome product.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-01-15 09:37 PM
    When there's an OS that can run apps flawlessly across all available platform(BBOS+Win+iOS+Android)... That will drop a lot of jaws when those folks say
    "WA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~OW!!!"
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-01-15 11:04 PM
    I think form factor is still very important. I honestly believe BB should go back to flip design of the Stlye 9670. Just bring BB 10, make it run google play and amazon, still have the full keyboard. large phones will become a dying bred in the next few years as tastes will change...look at all the work going into a smart watch. Anyway, back to future is where i think the revolutionary device can come from. The classic is a start. for those who have forgotten, a trackball is way faster to scroll than draggin your finger down a glass screen or flicking it down.

Just my opinion
    Wow.. that is original.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 11:17 PM
    BlackBerry actually do release phones with the "wow" factor. They just release it 2-3 years late. Imagine the Classic, Passport, Z30 being release 3 years ago.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    06-02-15 12:37 AM
    BlackBerry without android runtime or BlackBerry powered by android which one you choose?

Me personally don't use many apps.. I will choose BlackBerry 10 OS over android

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.680
    I chose BlackBerry 10 powered by Google Services
    06-02-15 02:20 AM
    I chose BlackBerry 10 powered by Google Services
    You can't

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.680
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-02-15 03:54 AM
    I'm all for the partnering idea with a tech giant and getting all the goodies of specs.. I'd just be sad that it's not going to be BlackBerry 10
    ArcPlug likes this.
    06-02-15 04:14 AM
    It is sad that a device with powerful specs, running an existing operating system is considered revolutionary. We've had two revolutionary phones in the past 15 years: the first Blackberry phone with a physical keyboard, and the original iPhone.

Nothing other than those two phones has been revolutionary, as far as smartphones go. Let's not cheapen the meaning of "Revolutionary."
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    06-02-15 04:15 AM
    It is sad that a device with powerful specs, running an existing operating system is considered revolutionary. We've had two revolutionary phones in the past 15 years: the first Blackberry phone with a physical keyboard, and the original iPhone.

Nothing other than those two phones has been revolutionary, as far as smartphones go. Let's not cheapen the meaning of "Revolutionary."
    That's a good point, and even Apple will have to face iphone stagnation in the future. The ipod brought them back from the dead, but now its on the decline. The ipad pretty much started the tablet revolution, but it's on the decline too. Eventually the same will befall their phones, because there hasn't really been much new, just lots of improvements.

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, Verizon, no camera, 10.3.2.680
    06-02-15 05:18 AM
    i guess if we really wan to get "revolutionary" I would want a single device that i only had to think about what I wanted and it read my mind and did it....no typing, no talking....otherwise all we are doing is adding apps to do more stuff.

The other thing left out of this discussion is what do you want to use the device to do? is it a consumption device? is it an entertainment device or is it a communication device? right now no phone does all three very well. So do we want one to do all three or do we want devices designed for our needs? Personal preference is the driver. .the trend is younger people are dropping their smart phones for older fip phones...why? costs mainly. the economy is different and the costs are high fro these things, especially to be an entertainment device. also, people are now not wanting to be so connected every day. Look at the growth of facebook right now...it is coming from the age 50 and up crowd, not the younger set. the reason is the older generation trying to either find old friends or trying to keep up with their kids....now the kids have discovered that and dont use faebook (i know because i have 2 20 something boys) they text.... they stopped the snap chatting but seem to use instagram for now.... point is the apps come and go, but the main communication has remained texting! My younger son just had to replace a defective HTC (out of manu warranty) he opted for a 2 yr droid device because it was cheap and simple to use.
    06-02-15 06:20 AM

forget about a PKB device. Based on what I have seen here in the USA and most of the world for that matter is the market is now an all touch one
    That is a world I don't wish to live in...

Posted via CB10
    06-02-15 07:22 AM
    So do we want one to do all three or do we want devices designed for our needs? Personal preference is the driver.
    I know BB wants to focus on software but I see strong points in their hardware. In the past month or so I've picked up both a Z30 and Q5 based on price, them being fairly worry free reliability wise, and the good word of mouth advertising over here on the forums..

I think BB acknowledges that it can't be everything to everyone, but why not as in the quoted above post be more to most, in preference. I already had a Passport, PlayBook and Z10, so did I need another charger, cable, headphones? I'm sure those things are cheap but could they keep costs down if not needed but offered as an option somehow? Could we not have like a build a phone to our prefs/price point option? I imagine I guess something that could be more to most. Why have a slider with a pkb if the all touch user is going to tape it closed? I appreciate that there are included headphones but I have like 5 pairs that came with the phones I bought now.. I'm sure it adds up in hardware costs.

I have little concept of what would be involved or the ramifications for doing something like this, but why not have 2 form factors per year with changeable face plates?

As an example:

Option of a Q5 sized device with the 1:1 screen and keyboard slide/click in faceplate or the 4:3 all touch faceplate.

Option of a Z30 sized device with the 4:3 screen and keyboard or 16:9 all touch or whatever..

4 phones in 2! That still maybe isn't everything to all but could be more to most and might be enticing to the opening of options to say the least. The faceplates and back covers could change the whole device with snap in customization.. Break a screen? new faceplate. Keyboard double type? Faceplate change, no tools or send back for service required, just pick up a replacement / send the other plate back under warranty! idk but think it would be cool
    06-02-15 08:36 AM
    Why does blackberry have to become android in order to sell? The devices that are currently selling are doing pretty well. We basically just need to support BlackBerry. I will buy again the classic when wifi calling comes to the classic at T-Mobile.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-02-15 08:51 AM
157 12345 ...