Hi and TIA,

This might seem like quite a complicated question, and it might not even be possible. I have a BlackBerry 8703e through Verizon Wireless and I currently tether it to my laptop. I will be leaving for Florida (Woohoo!) on Friday. Someone else in my vehicle would like to use the Internet in my car at the same time as I, except he doesn't have a BlackBerry or tethering on his phone. So this is what I would like to do:

I would like to take an ethernet cord from my laptop that has the tethered BB to the other computer...so it will receive Internet access. Is it possible to this?

Thanks so much for your responses and assistance in advance!
    Paul
    07-23-08 10:49 AM
    Network the two PCs either by Wireless or a crossover LAN cable.

Use the Windows Network Setup Wizard to define the PC that has the BlackBerry connected as the Internet Gateway.

You had best test this prior to setting off on your trip.
    07-23-08 11:32 AM
    To all of those who responded: Thanks so much! I appreciate it. I figured out a solution. I followed a guide to use ICS (as suggested) and it workied. You can see it at How to enable Internet Connection Sharing on a home or a small office network connection in Windows XP. I was able to surf the net on both laptops at the same time! Now if only I thought that Xbox live wouldn't use a ton of my bandwidth up since I'm limited to 5GBs.........

Thanks!
    Paul
    07-23-08 11:55 AM
    Happy that it worked. The thought of a full LAN withing a moving vehicle for a private citizen is somewhat mind bogggling to me. The solution was easy enough but --- dang!
    07-24-08 04:45 AM
    Happy that it worked. The thought of a full LAN withing a moving vehicle for a private citizen is somewhat mind bogggling to me. The solution was easy enough but --- dang!
    Try a power inverter running a couple-three laptops and a switch, plus a wireless router which bridged to another wireless router in another vehicle? And that vehicle will also have a multiple of computers.

The system is in testing for a road trip we're planning...
    07-24-08 05:07 AM
    Try a power inverter running a couple-three laptops and a switch, plus a wireless router which bridged to another wireless router in another vehicle? And that vehicle will also have a multiple of computers.

The system is in testing for a road trip we're planning...
    If you guys are at uni and this is a project then there is no reason why it should not work - neat project tho.

Why do you need an invertor? Surely you can find an AP with a router/4 port hub that runs on 12 volts DC. An auto puts out 13.2V which shoul dbe fine (use a fuse, please).

Are you planning external antennas? Hence the 2nd router. Do that and you will get better range. Maybe you could use a dual 3 or 4 element yagi pointinf front and rear. That way it is pointing up and down the higway axis to give good coverage for the 2nd vehicle if it is in front or following. There shoul dbe enough 'spill' to cover side by side travel too cuz it's very short range.

Possible expansion could be t use a hotspot if it were available. You'd get extra speed and lower data plan usage.

It is nice when the technology works.

I'd be interested to hear how this works. Especially the limitations.
    07-24-08 07:09 AM
    If you guys are at uni and this is a project then there is no reason why it should not work - neat project tho.

Why do you need an invertor? Surely you can find an AP with a router/4 port hub that runs on 12 volts DC. An auto puts out 13.2V which shoul dbe fine (use a fuse, please).

Are you planning external antennas? Hence the 2nd router. Do that and you will get better range. Maybe you could use a dual 3 or 4 element yagi pointinf front and rear. That way it is pointing up and down the higway axis to give good coverage for the 2nd vehicle if it is in front or following. There shoul dbe enough 'spill' to cover side by side travel too cuz it's very short range.

Possible expansion could be t use a hotspot if it were available. You'd get extra speed and lower data plan usage.

It is nice when the technology works.

I'd be interested to hear how this works. Especially the limitations.
    We've been experimenting with high gain omni antennas actually. They seem to be holding up pretty well since we modified the transmit power of the equipment to maximum legal power (playing with ham radio stuff is fun ) and as far as using the inverters, it will be necessary for the laptops anyways, so we figured its simpler than tapping the power directly if a hook up is already available. If the inverter is too taxed we may end up running fused power directly anyway.

As far as internet usage goes we were thinking of splitting the tethering fee for my device and the data/tethering fee for a friends device to provide each car with a dedicated line by way of virtual network bridges and routing tables to keep the traffic separated. being able to switch to a hotspot for WAN should work provided we have access to it.
    07-24-08 01:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD