I was thinking... Apple = Jailbreak = lost sales for developers apps

Blackberry = Secure = no jailbreak = Users MUST pay up

Fix? As everyone knows, development needs to be MUCH easier = ability to promote what i stated... Come to us, you will get more sales... Oh and were easy to develop for now.

makes sense?
    07-15-11 02:04 AM
    I was thinking... Apple = Jailbreak = lost sales for developers apps

Blackberry = Secure = no jailbreak = Users MUST pay up

Fix? As everyone knows, development needs to be MUCH easier = ability to promote what i stated... Come to us, you will get more sales... Oh and were easy to develop for now.

makes sense?
    users dont have to pay up if they can get the .bar file, its harder since the dev has to supply it but that file can be passed around just the same
    07-15-11 04:25 AM
    They need to stop fragmenting their OSes and phones. If I were a developer right now I would be jumping ship, at least for the time being.

Develop for OS6 = why would you do that when OS7 devices will be much more powerful
    Develop for OS7 = why would you do that when it will not be compatible with QNX that is supposed to come out in less than a year
    Develop for QNX = why would you do that when there is almost no market for them?

They should have cut OS7 production and bit the bullet while they were perfecting QNX. Then next year when they release it, it will be polished to Apple-like standards, and if they implemented it correctly and harnessed the full power of QNX, there is no way anyone would dispute which phone is best. Instead, they will be releasing OS7 this summer/fall, which already cuts into QNX production costs, and then continue to develop and update OS7, further reducing the amount of manpower and money going into QNX... ajdolajhfjahfkajhfjkahf RIMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 01itr; 07-15-11 at 09:11 AM.
    07-15-11 09:08 AM
    Um, I think you should know that an app build for OS6 will run just fine on OS7. The OSes are backwards compatible. There may be reasons to tweak apps for features of newer devices, but those tweaks are optional. The only reason to actually build a version of your app for a newer OS is to take advantage of features it offers. Also, any competent software engineer should be able to write one app that can be build for all the possible OSes and optionally include features as they are available.

I support everything from OS 4.5 through 6.0+ with my app, from a single code base, and it works fine. I don't have to rewrite it, and only care about newer OSes on a feature-by-feature basis.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    07-15-11 09:55 AM
    At this point it seems everyone is pinning their hopes on HTML5 making apps platform neutral (or at least mostly neutral) so in the in the end BB needs good, easy to integrate security tie ins and an elegantly integrated browser.
    07-15-11 09:58 AM
    Um, I think you should know that an app build for OS6 will run just fine on OS7. The OSes are backwards compatible. There may be reasons to tweak apps for features of newer devices, but those tweaks are optional. The only reason to actually build a version of your app for a newer OS is to take advantage of features it offers. Also, any competent software engineer should be able to write one app that can be build for all the possible OSes and optionally include features as they are available.

I support everything from OS 4.5 through 6.0+ with my app, from a single code base, and it works fine. I don't have to rewrite it, and only care about newer OSes on a feature-by-feature basis.
    But an app built for OS7 will not run on OS6, if it utilizes the new features. If it doesn't utilize the new features... then why build a new app at all? We are still in the same predicament. Start fresh with QNX, make it perfect so that you don't have to beg developers to develop for it, they will be lined up to get there app on this amazing software that every consumer will want. Not to mention that there will be more manpower working on sustaining and improving QNX, instead of having the same amount of people spread out over 3 OSes.
    07-15-11 10:28 AM
    But an app built for OS7 will not run on OS6, if it utilizes the new features. If it doesn't utilize the new features... then why build a new app at all? We are still in the same predicament. Start fresh with QNX, make it perfect so that you don't have to beg developers to develop for it, they will be lined up to get there app on this amazing software that every consumer will want. Not to mention that there will be more manpower working on sustaining and improving QNX, instead of having the same amount of people spread out over 3 OSes.
    BBOS 7.0 is not going to get killed off. It will be around in millions or devices for years. if you cant build a worth while app for the system, dont. If you have an app that people want it will be used for a long time
    07-15-11 11:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD