Hello all,

This is my first post. Just got my first Blackberry (Curve 8330) last week on Sprint. Love the phone, love this site and esp. this forum - it has been a great help!

I'm a frequent business traveler and it looks like my BB is going to solve a lot "issues" that I have to deal with while on the road. In particular I have been wanting to listen to music but lately I find the idea of picking songs and listening to them by myself as boring. I really enjoy listening to Radio Margaritaville on XM Radio (also available on Internet Radio), so if I could get that on my BB that would be great. Caching and listening later would be even more awesome.

All that having been said, I spent the entire day yesterday trying to solve what would seem to be a simple problem.

First stop Radio Margaritaville at radiomargaritaville.com - click the Listen Now option from the narrow menubar. A page pops up of three different ways to listen to Radio Margaritaville on your computer from your web browser. Obviously, none of these work from Blackberry.

Next stop (I recommend continuing to listen to Radio Margaritaville above as the frustration level grows) XM Radio Mobile at xmradio.com/mobile/blackberry.xmc - click on the Channel Lineup on the menubar and it does not include Radio Margaritaville :-(

So I tried Slacker Radio at slacker.com/mobile/blackberry - this is a very good product, but it does not stream existing Internet radio channels. It allows you to customize channels for your own preferences, and it allows caching. There is a MyMargaritaville channel, which is almost, but not quite, as good as Radio Margaritaville. I will use this as next best choice.

Then there is Moodio at moodio.fm/stations_list - this actually has (I think) Radio Margaritaville. Click the Caribbean option from the Genre list, and it is under Radio Margs, then click the Add link in the MyStations Column. When I bring this up under my account on Blackberry, I get an error message that the format is not supported. There is a known issue with Sprint with this website and they are working on it. Seems to be a low priority and a common problem. Too bad

And we have FlyCast at flycast.fm/FlyCastINFO.aspx?PAGE=blackberry - offers some Internet radio stations, but when you click the Channel Guide icon in the upper right, a page of stations is listed, but does not include Radio Margaritaville :-(

How about iHeartRadio at iheartradio.com/cc-common/radio_app/index2.html?tabs=1 - this streams fm radio stations on the Internet, but does not do Internet Radio stations. AFAIK, Radio Margaritaville is not a broadcast station. Could not find it on iHeartRadio - I looked under the Florida radio stations (RM is from Orlando).

Also there is Pandora at pandora.com/blackberry - similar to Slacker where you customize your own music but it doesn't stream Internet Radio stations.

There is Nobex at nobexrc.com/Download.aspx - seems to be similar to iHeartRadio. Couldn't find Radio Margitaville in the Stations page.

I also tried BerryTunes from software.crackberry.com/product.asp?id=16597 - has lots of Internet Radio channels but (and you know what I'm going to say), Radio Margaritaville is not one of them.

Getting out into the weeds now...

Tried Mobio xPlayer from shapeservices.com/en/products/details.php?product=xplayer&platform=bb - same as BerryTunes, no Radio Margaritaville.

There is SomaFM at somafm.com/ but does not have Radio Margaritaville.

And finally there is RadioBee at m.radiobee.com/ - but it only supports broadcasts in MP3 format. Radio Margaritaville (AFAIK) does not do this.

So there you have it folks. I wasted a day looking for Radio Margaritaville for my Blackberry, plus this whole morning retracing my tracks. Did I miss anything?

Does anyone out there get Radio Margaritaville on their Blackberry? Thanks,

Blacker

PS: I had to strip the "http" and the "www" from the links because I'm a noob.
    Last edited by Blacker56; 08-19-09 at 10:24 AM.
    08-19-09 09:48 AM
    You're not going to like the answer to this, but:

Margaritaville is a station that came over from the Sirius lineup. XM started getting it when Sirius and XM merged. This is why you don't see it in the XM lineup on their BB software. As far as I have seen, there hasn't been an update to get more XM stations in the BB app, and there isn't a Sirius app for BlackBerry.

The down and dirty way to do it is through Orb. I don't know what the equivalent app is for XM, but there used to be an app called uSirius (maybe there was uXM?). Orb streams music and video to your BB from your computer. With the XM (or uSirius) app linked to Orb, you could stream satellite radio to your BB.

The bad news is that Sirius went after the programmer of uSirius and all known sources for the app have disappeared. I'm not sure if the XM app disappeared as well, but I would assume so. If you can find a copy, you should be able to set it up to work with Orb.

On the Sirius side, you have to have an internet access subscription to get it to work. I would listen to Sirius radio like this on my BB all the time before they created a seperate subscription for internet radio.
    08-19-09 04:19 PM
    Thanks for that response, xopher. I understand that getting the XM/Sirius feed is a little tricky. But why would it be so hard to get a garden variety internet radio station?

Still holding out hope that either a) Moodio will start working some day; or b) some other app will do Internet Radio stations on Blackberry (why is this so hard?)

More trivia: do a google search on margaritaville internet radio and this thread comes up!
    08-19-09 07:58 PM
    Just thought I'd follow-up that Moodio seems to be working now. :-)
    08-21-09 10:24 AM
    If you are already a member of XM/Sirius and have a laptop (which I assume u do since you travel) Use your phone as the modem and go to XM/Sirius site and listen that way.. problem fixed.
    08-21-09 12:49 PM
    Yes I do travel and use Tetherberry when I can't get internet on the laptop. Nice! This is actually something I wanted to do 15 yrs ago when I got my first cell phone but technology was primitive and cost was ridiculous.

And you don't need XM/Sirius account to listen - just goto radiomargaritaville.com and enjoy. It just doesn't work on Blackberry. Which I'd like to do with a bluetooth headset whenever I just want to listen to music. So for now, Moodio seems to be working so I'm happy.
    08-22-09 02:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD