My 9780 is still under warranty AND insurance with T-Mobile. The screen is intermittently turning scrambled or white. T-Mobile are happy to exchange it for me, but I'd have to take a 9810. I realize that the 9810 is an upgrade from my 9780, but I do not want to lug around a 9810.

I called T-Mobile corporate, who additonally offered me a Nokia Lumina (seriously?!). They won't even offer me a paid upgrade to a newer Bold.

Is it worth calling RIM, and whom would I call? I am under the manufacturer's warranty.

I'm about to take my warrantied 9780 to a shop and have them fix it. I'll bet it could be fixed quickly, but I hate to pay for insurance AND repairs.
    06-04-12 05:28 PM
    I don't think there's that much difference. The 9810 is a bit better of a device with a full touch screen and slider key. Mine actually fits in the same sleeve I used for the 9700 I had before it.

Body Dimensions 109 x 60 x 14 mm
    Weight 122 g
    Keyboard QWERTY

Vs.

Body Dimensions 111 x 62 x 14.6 mm
    Weight 161 g
    Keyboard QWERTY
    06-04-12 05:33 PM
    Maybe, but I'm not warming up to the idea, especially over a loose wire or whatever. My 9780 works great after functioning the lock button about ten times.

I might just have to suck it up. I've been with T-Mobile for 13 years. They should dig in the cushions and find a 9780 or let me pay my way up to a 9900. I'm going to call again tomorrow and throw a real fit. Hate to do it, but sometimes that's all that works.
    06-04-12 05:50 PM
    I've had mine probably since tmobile released it... flip it open every time i use it, dropped it about a million times. So far so good. The plus is that the keyboard seems to work better since its not exposed all the time. I keep mine in a pouch though, so my wear pattern is a little untypical.

I like the touch screen on it since i can maneuver a bit faster touch scrolling around.

I have had to reboot it on occasion, but i'm also a blackberry beta user so I have a beta OS on my phone half the time.

Other than that, its typical blackberry performance. It's not a 9900, so don't be too excited
    06-04-12 06:01 PM
    I've dealt with ATT, Verizon, and Sprint. I can tell you that the best thing you can do to gain leverage on them is to make a note on the account that you want this fixed or you will close the account. Then call back in a couple of days and tell them you called to close the account.
    What happens is they put you in some kind of "loss prevention group" that has the ability to give you greater discounts and more flexibility because now you are a flight risk.

BTW, I have a Bold 9900 and a Torch 9810. It really comes down to preference. ATT has not turned on NFC so you can't take advantage of NFC tags yet. Still, my main phone if the Bold 9900. It just feels great in my hand and it works great.

Good luck!
    06-05-12 10:09 AM
    Why don't you try contacting RIM by email at [email protected]? At most they'll tell you to go through T-Mobile.
    06-05-12 07:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD