I would like to know if i should buy the wifi playbook? or wait for the 3g or 4g playbook?seriously what are the pros and cons?
    09-30-11 04:01 PM
    playbooks are reduced by $200 at Best Buy in America right now.
    09-30-11 04:15 PM
    $200?! I'm only seeing $300, are you sure they're $200???

EDIT: Is there even any proof or rumors of a next gen. PlayBook or did I miss something?
    Last edited by dalton4L; 09-30-11 at 04:39 PM.
    09-30-11 04:36 PM
    Dalton4L, the price is reduced *by* $200.. bringing the grand total to $300.

As for whether or not you should get one, Olga421, I think it really depends on your availability of wifi or if you're willing to pay the extra data fee each month with a carrier. I can say that I quickly became more aware of locations that did and did not have wifi available while carrying around my Playbook.

If you already have a Blackberry, you could make use of the bridge. In it's current state, bridge acts more like "free" tethering, allowing 3rd party apps to make use of your connection without having to pay for a tethering plan through your carrier.

If you plan on using it heftily "on the go" and not sitting down in a Starbucks or other location with wifi, you might be happier with the 3G/4G version.

EDIT: I wanted to add that there is no guarantee that Bridge will continue to supply this "tethering" functionality as it hasn't even been mentioned by RIM as a feature (that I know of). Hopefully it will remain!
    Last edited by RenownedAnonymous; 09-30-11 at 04:54 PM.
    09-30-11 04:51 PM
    you mean bridge browsing there is no charge? i do have a 1g data plan would do me fine?
    09-30-11 04:57 PM
    Dalton4L, the price is reduced *by* $200.. bringing the grand total to $300.

As for whether or not you should get one, Olga421, I think it really depends on your availability of wifi or if you're willing to pay the extra data fee each month with a carrier. I can say that I quickly became more aware of locations that did and did not have wifi available while carrying around my Playbook.

If you already have a Blackberry, you could make use of the bridge. In it's current state, bridge acts more like "free" tethering, allowing 3rd party apps to make use of your connection without having to pay for a tethering plan through your carrier.

If you plan on using it heftily "on the go" and not sitting down in a Starbucks or other location with wifi, you might be happier with the 3G/4G version.

EDIT: I wanted to add that there is no guarantee that Bridge will continue to supply this "tethering" functionality as it hasn't even been mentioned by RIM as a feature (that I know of). Hopefully it will remain!
    Yeah I realized that I had read it with wishful thinking haha, but I did end up going to Best Buy and had them change their display to show the correct price. Would've bought one for $200.
    09-30-11 05:28 PM
    you mean bridge browsing there is no charge? i do have a 1g data plan would do me fine?
    Depending on your carrier, there is no "charge". AT&T blocks browsing over bridge via the application provided in AppWorld but you can download it OTA and browse to your heart's content.

That said, you might eat up your 1GB plan pretty quickly depending on your use.

From RIM's site:
    "BlackBerry� Bridge is an app you can download to your smartphone to get access to your email, calendar, contacts, memo pad, tasks and BBM�all on the large tablet display. Depending on your wireless service provider you can even browse the web using your existing BlackBerry smartphone�s data plan."

Potentially useful link: ERROR (sorry can't imbed, new member!) Just Google "Blackberry Bridge" and select the second result
    09-30-11 06:12 PM
    Yeah I realized that I had read it with wishful thinking haha, but I did end up going to Best Buy and had them change their display to show the correct price. Would've bought one for $200.
    Having worked at Best Buy (but not having seen the sign you're referencing), you should have pitched a fit and demanded that they give it to you at that price. Our policy was if something was mislabeled we gave the customer that price but quickly changed the display. The customer is always right... to a limit I suppose
    09-30-11 06:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD