Yes I know another thread on this topic !

I am an owner of a BB9800 (well known Torch) that is still working but not in a good shape and due for renewal since the start of September.

I've seen the BB 10 videos this week, it looks promissing, but still I am thinking about dropping my Torch and Playbook to move to either iPhone 5 + iPad or Galaxy S3 + iPad.
    Whatever happens the iPad will come as the eco systems and reactivity of that tablet are just miles ahead of the Playbook.

The phone is another story. What keeps me still hooked to BB are 2 important features : data compression & real push. That neither iPhone or Android have it. I am travelling abroad and my roaming charges (data) are just 2 times less expensive then my colleagues with an iPhone. All the rest to be honest is better on iPhone or S3.

So what should I do ? Jump wagon for an iPhone or S3, or put my BB9800 in survival mode until eventually somewhere during Q1 2013 BB 10 devices come out ?
    09-28-12 05:17 AM
    No one can answer this for you, but you seem to have already made your mind up to switch. The only thing you have to ask yourself is "Which system fits my needs best?"

Good luck!
    Mister-E likes this.
    09-28-12 06:38 AM
    If I remember correctly, they stated that BB10 will use activesync for email, so not "real" push email anymore. It also looks like there may no longer be a NOC for BB10 phones which means no data compression.

Guess that makes your decision pretty simple eh?
    09-28-12 06:49 AM
    I think it really depends on what you like.
    each of them have deferent features that you may or may not like.
    09-28-12 07:01 AM
    All I can say is that I am sitting here holding an iPhone 4S that I love. I can upgrade to anything I want right now, and yet I am waiting on BB10. I was not waiting last month, and fully planned to buy a iPhone 5 day one. I held back, and after seeing the BB10 features just previewed, I think I am coming back to BB10 as soon as a Verizon L Series goes on sale!

I just want some of the key apps I use to be released. The only thing worrying me about BB10 is apps.
    bluetroll likes this.
    09-28-12 07:10 AM
    You can get data compression on iPhone or Android. Just get the Onavo app. You can set it as aggressive as you want it too.
    09-28-12 08:08 AM
    I will wait for BB10 or new ownership.
    You can have my Bold when you pry it from my cold dead hand.
    If you wait in line at a store to buy a phone you really need to move out of your parents basement.
    09-28-12 08:10 AM
    You can sell your 9800 and get a 9810 for now probably 100 dollar difference.
    I sold my 9810 for $180.
    I been faithful to BB for almost 2 years, but ended up getting a One X I couldn't wait any longer. Once BB10 drops I'm getting one.
    Although Android is pretty advance now omg nothing like how it
    used to be when I left them and the iPhone has been perfected so BB10
    needs to wow and have the *Right Apps .
    on my 9900 I have like 8 apps total on the HTC one X in 3 weeks I have
    40 apps and around 20 of which I will need to be in BB10.
    09-28-12 08:34 AM
    So what should I do ? Jump wagon for an iPhone or S3, or put my BB9800 in survival mode until eventually somewhere during Q1 2013 BB 10 devices come out ?
    Do whatever you need to. Just bring us a box of doughnuts when you come back to BB, and don't be an iDik in the interim
    09-28-12 08:36 AM
    Iphone 5 is super sleek and light. My friend has one and I played with it the other day. I've also played with the S3 and that phone is amazing. I'm using the bold 9930 at the moment which I'm really happy with but like you mentioned, its ecosystem sucks big time. I'm am hopinh BB10 has great dev support. I'm going to be waiting for it because I like this whole BB are for people that do and how they developed OS10 behind that mindset. It looks really cool so far but with every blackberry product I've bought I've felt cheated specially with the playbook. We were suckered and lied to about the playbook at launch. We were promised email and other updates but took a year to get. Blackberry has seemed to have done a turn around and I know from experience is that when you work hard, great results will come. And RIM has been working hard for this to be a successful launch
    09-28-12 08:43 AM
    Perhaps you could "test the waters" and get an iPod Touch and continue using the Bold.
    BlackBerry Guy likes this.
    09-28-12 08:48 AM
    I�ve had BB for over 6 years now.. Presently I own a Bold 9900, which i use almost exclusively for work. I was tempted to give a try with one of the new Galaxy S3 devices.. but i have decided to wait for the new BB10... The reason... RIM�s reputation as a quality provider for business devices..
    If i wish a phone to play with hundreds of apps, I migtt get an Android device.. but to carry out my work (mainly e-mails, calendar, phone calls, BBM and some browsing) I stick to BB.
    I only hope RIM has it right this time.. and that they can re-enter the smartphone "war".
    Cheers
    09-28-12 08:59 AM
    I would wait around for BB10... see what it offers you and then make your final decision.
    09-28-12 09:07 AM
    My job allows me to come across the latest and 'greatest' devices, that being said, I'm a strong BlackBerry supporter and always will be. Last weekend I carried around the Galaxy S3 as my main phone, simply to test it out.

The hardware specs are amazing, but the performance on the battery side of things just aren't there. If you try and use everything under the hood, you're gonna be surfing for an outlet at least 3 times a day. I'd recommend getting spare battery's for it, but then again the battery door is a flimsy piece of plastic that I could have sworn was about to break every single time I removed it.

For the time being, there really isn't a phone that will offer you BlackBerry connectivity and keyboard quality without compromising.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    09-28-12 09:07 AM
    I just came back from Android (tried the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7, Xoom & HTC One X). I had an issue not with the quantity of apps from the store, but the quality. Most apps were very poorly done, sometimes crashing/not behaving properly, user experience was not great, etc.

The other big issue that sometimes, the devices would either reboot on their own or just suck down the battery without warning. Can't tell you how many times I picked up my phone or tablet and they were dead. Sometimes the whole device was just crashed and needed to be restarted manually. Not something I want when I depend on my phones/tablets for email, contacts, calendar and other daily communication functions.

Needless to say I'm back on the BB9860 and Playbook and happy again.
    09-28-12 09:29 AM
    A lot of feedback
    So one post said : no real push anymore ???!!!!! BB 10 will be activesync. If this is confirmed, I have really no reason to wait for BB10, as compression+push was really THE thing that kept me hooked to BB.
    Anyone can confirm ?
    09-28-12 10:09 AM
    A lot of feedback
    So one post said : no real push anymore ???!!!!! BB 10 will be activesync. If this is confirmed, I have really no reason to wait for BB10, as compression+push was really THE thing that kept me hooked to BB.
    Anyone can confirm ?
    Confirmed. Clearing up the confusion: BES and BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com
    09-28-12 10:33 AM
    Does that mean BIS will go away ?
    09-28-12 10:43 AM
    The dev alpha doesn't use BIS so it's a pretty safe bet that BB10 phones won't either.
    09-28-12 11:11 AM
    I would wait for BB10 since RIM has already seen what Android and Apple have come out with, so RIM will make sure to compete with those platforms. RIM is putting all their eggs in this basket with BB10! So it is destined to be something GREAT!!!
    09-28-12 11:12 AM
    Does that mean BIS will go away ?
    It won't go away, it will still support older BB models, it seems unlikely though that BB10 will support both legacy and Activesync, especially since they specifically mention that BES 5 is not supported by BB10.
    09-28-12 11:16 AM
    This is crazy to throw their unique competitive advantage away ...

Basically roaming wise, all devices will now be equal
    09-28-12 11:27 AM
    My breakfast bars come in 3-packs. Do you guys think I should have the chocolate, the peanut butter or the Chocolate Peanut Caramel for breakfast this morning?

09-28-12 11:30 AM
    I found this thread quite interesting (BIS) : http://forums.crackberry.com/general...m-dead-714716/
    09-28-12 12:03 PM
    I guess I am still not understanding all of this Active Sync thing. I Do Not use BES at all, I just use BIS. So if Active Sync uses Exchange and Gmail does that mean Other servers like yahoo will Not get push email?

I use yahoo the most. It is my primary mail server.

I like the data compression too is that going away with BIS?
    09-28-12 12:23 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD